Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American mainstream media

American mainstream media

They will say anything they are told to say -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSRnN...layer_embedded

Too funny man. I have heard many similar spoofs on Howard Stern's show as they often prank many media outlets. But this one, in spite of the seriousness of the event, is just great.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Laflamme View Post
    Pretty crafty intern that came up with this...
    The intern did not come up with it, he/she was pranked.

Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTVU

KTVU, channel 2, is the Fox-affiliated television station serving the San Francisco Bay Area.

OMG...it's a FOX affiliate. That completely explains why some nitwits bought into it.

And now in the news the image of St. Peter could be seen the swirling hair pattern of a bulldog's butt. The dog's droppings, said to cure everything from ringworm to cancer, are now being sold for $299 an ounce. Goooo FOX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Laflamme View Post
    I thought "Sum Ting Wong" and "Ho Lee Fuk" were real funny but I didn't really get the other names. Reading the comments on the video I see what I missed now. The names actually make up a story... of the plane crashing:
    If you (them) don't get it on the first name, never mind the second or the others...there's something "Wong" with you. I mean..."Ho Lee Fuk".

Merlot

Veteran of Misadventures
    The NTSB said it was NOT the intern.

"It was not immediately clear who produced the fake names, but the NTSB said it was not the intern.

"The names were presented by the station, to the intern for confirmation," said NTSB spokeswoman Kelly Nantel. "The intern did not make up the names and provide them to the station."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/12/travel...html?hpt=hp_t3

It's pretty obvious what happened, the intern confirmed the names with the pranksters who posed as NTSB investigators.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 07-13-2013 at 10:21 PM.

It's a whole new ballgame
    What I read suggests that the intern was the pranker not the prankee, that the NTSB spokesman was covering their collective asses.

From Forbes: "Of course, the summer intern did not act “outside the scope of his authority” … that’s just a mealy-mouthed way of saying that the intern pulled practical joke in bad taste and the NTSB has a gaping hole in its standard operating procedures."
    The mounties always get their man.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    What I read suggests that the intern was the pranker not the prankee, that the NTSB spokesman was covering their collective asses.
    See the above post #7, not correct according to the NTSB.

It's a whole new ballgame
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    See the above, not correct according to the NTSB.
    Correct, Beav, but the writer from Forbes wasn't buying the NTSB's attempt to show that they weren't had by the intern.
    The mounties always get their man.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Interns at radio stations don't pull pranks like this. You are interning because you want a career in communications and you end it with a prank? Don't think so. I am buying the NTSB version. It is not a big deal to them if some college kid got hoodwinked on the phone by someone claiming to be an NTSB investigator. How is that the NTSB's problem? Ho Lee Fuk, it is KTVU's problem!
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 07-13-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Sidney,

If you go back and watch the video, even the anchor knew something was wrong. An English speaker pronounces Ho Lee Fuk as "Holy Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Yet she pronounced it as FOOK. She knew something was WONG. But she dodged the temptation to utter an on air obscenity which was exactly what the pranksters intended.

Veteran of Misadventures
    When I read through the story, which does not specifically say where the intern worked, I had assumed it was a summer intern at KTVU.

I hear that there are already rumors starting that this was the fault of MERB moderators, myself in particular.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod 8 View Post
    I hear that there are already rumors starting that this was the fault of MERB moderators, myself in particular.
    Ho Lee Fuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veteran of Misadventures

KTVU Apology

KTVU Apologizes for Airing Offensive Fake Names of Asiana Flight 214 Pilots
    Sadie Gennis
    Jul 13, 2013 06:26 PM ET
    by Sadie Gennis

San Francisco Bay Area station KTVU has apologized for airing fake and racially offensive names of the four pilots on Asiana Flight 214.

Anchor Tori Campbell read the bogus names on air Friday, which included Captain Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow.

"We made several mistakes when we received this information. First, we never read the names out loud, phonetically sounding them out," an apology issued on the KTVU website read. The TV station also admitted to not properly vetting the person at the NTSB who provided the spelling of the names.

Third person dies from Asiana crash, one victim hit by a fire truck

The NTSB blamed the incident on an intern who "acted outside the scope of his authority," but KTVU said it accepts full responsibility for the error.

"We have a lot of good people here at KTVU Channel 2. We pride ourselves on getting it right and having the highest of standards and integrity," KTVU's statement continued. "Clearly, on Friday, that didn't happen. So again, from everyone here at KTVU, we offer our sincerest apology."

"The NTSB blamed the incident on an intern who "acted outside the scope of his authority,"

The intern at NTSB provided the information to the TV station. It was not an intern at KTVU that acted outside the scope of his authority!

Oh and yes, I did find it quite amusing. To believe that a tv station would actually read, recite and still not get the jokes is unbelievable to me.
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast