Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl gets raped in Dubai, calls Police and gets sent to jail!...

Banned

Girl gets raped in Dubai, calls Police and gets sent to jail!...

I don't know if any other media has reported this very disturbing story, but Radio-Canada did:
    http://www.radio-canada.ca/widgets/m...dianet/6767704
    what do you think?
    I rather let everybody else talk before I get too emotional here...
    So basicly in UAE a rapist cannot get charged unless he admits what he did or if 4 adult men witnessed the scene.
    This norwegian girl called the police after being raped and ended up accused of ''illegal sex'' and sent to jail for 16 months!
    This country justice system is directly inspired from ''charia''.

Sheikh makhtoom better fix this one fast........what a moron.

Not surprising at all...
    Find what you love, and let it kill you...

Banned
    Disgusting,

I'm surprised the guy was sentenced to 13 months. I have seen reports where women in some stricter Islamic countries who were raped were accused of adultery and eventually executed. I can tell you from my own personal experience with a former Turkish Muslim friend, strict control of the women and fear the women would pick up any ideas or do anything restricted was the norm. Of course the man can screw as he pleases.

Muslim women must be pure by following all the physical and social prohibitions in every sense or they are considered spoiled goods unworthy for men. That was the clear message as spoken directly to me by a Muslim living since childhood in the U.S..

Merlot

Banned
    My question is : how should we react to all this?
    Putting freedom of religion as a universal rule is a good idea?
    Personaly I don't feel like respecting this kind of shit...
    In the western world we strive for democracy and laicity.
    Our good will gets then abused by theological minded societies.
    We should remain strong and determinded in defending our values at any cost...and making sure no evil is taking advantage of our ...whatever you want to call it!

We can't do anything. Muslim are so susceptible that if you publicly say one word, you will have 10millions people insulting westerners in their street, and 100 more islamists preparing bomb attacks in your own town.

All we can do is let them manage their own businesses, don't try to make them think the way we do and disadvice women against going to these countries.

Anyway, I'm sure the norvegian diplomacy will find a secret arrangement...
    Find what you love, and let it kill you...

Banned
    If what we are saying is true, how could you say we can't do anything!
    I have to get a little bit personnal here. I was born in a moslem country which I had to leave at age 9 with my whole family to avoid possible extermination being christian in a war situation. This happened in north Africa in the 60 ies.
    I have been now in Canada for 40 years and still (and even more) persecuated by the same at a worldwide level!
    So I have been feeling some danger coming from the same source for most of my life, and I have been able to identify it.

Relocated
    That is really despicable.

I was offered a very high paying job in Dubai a few years ago by a family friend who lives there. He tried to convince me that it was perfectly safe as long as one didn't leave the areas designated for americans. It was very tempting, but I just couldn't see myself living in a culture that was so oppressive towards women. Stories like this make me so glad I made the decision I did.

I would like to see the world put pressure on these countries to change their ways. Probably unrealistic I know, and I'm sure there might be consequences that I'm not even considering when I'm saying that, but it would be nice to be able to do something for these women who are suffering under these conditions. I am so grateful to have the freedoms that I do have.

She was charge with having sex outside of marriage, drinking and making a false statement. Western women who travel to these places must have a damn good reason and money should not be that reason.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Village Idiot
    She has now been granted a pardon. It doesn't fix the injustice, but at least she's free.

As the old saying goes "while in Rome do as the Romans".

We know that this is what goes on in some of these ME countries. So do your research before you travel and if you don't agree with their rules, then stay away ( far away).

What troubles me is that Canada's immigration policies plus our PC attitudes is allowing sharia law to creep slowing into North America.

Agree with Guido. Besides, Dubai is a man-made concrete jungle in the desert with ridiculously strict laws for foreigners working there. It's not like you are going to see beautiful nature or rich historical monuments. There is no reason to visit Dubai - not even for shopping. I always advise my female friends to stay away from the middle east and the south east. Women are considered inferior there, routinely face violence and it is pat of their collective psyche. Nothing the western world can do to change that. This woman was lucky to be alive.

Veteran of Misadventures
    The reason she was pardoned has absolutely nothing to do with the merits of her case and everything to do with the media firestorm which has portrayed the UAE in a very negative light. The UAE cannot afford to have foreigners staging de facto economic embargoes or be afraid to work there, so they were forced to act.

That being said, the case against her sounded weird and hoky at best. I also find that the media reports on the matter suggest a naive sense of shock at the laws and criminal justice system in the UAE. The criminal justice system in all the ME countries except Israel, which is the only legit democracy, are a joke. The criminal justice systems in SE Asia are also a joke. The media is acting like this is news but it really is not news and anyone who goes to these countries has to think very carefully about how they behave while in those countries. All of these cases usually involve young naive westerners who think they can go anywhere in the world and are free to do whatever they want. While this woman did not deserve to be thrown in jail or be accused of inviting rape, her behavior was of questionable appropriateness given her circumstances. She also lost her job, and the whole point of going anywhere like UAE is to make money. There is no other reason to go there.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    I may be in the minority but I for one believe that the police acted accordingly in this case. They have a very tough job to do & are constantly undermanned, and the last thing they need is for a bunch of western women constantly complaining of mistreatment by arab men. If you're not happy with life in an arab country, then get out & go back home. Or simply, do your research on the customs & laws of a particular islamic country before heading over there.

You think the police acted appropriately?

One of the first thing they ask her is if she's filing a complaint because she didn't "enjoy it".

You still think they acted appropriately?

What question would have been inappropriate then?

Maybe a bunch of western women are complaining because there might me a bunch of Arab men who don't know HOW to treat women?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast