Thread: NASCAR coming to town?

NASCAR coming to town?

Apparently Montreal is trying to get NASCAR to bring a race to town. Check out this link: http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head....ap/index.html
    I'm not sure if I like the idea. It would give me a new excuse to visit, but I don't want a bunch of my fellow Americans discovering what is hidden in Montreal. I probably have nothing to worry about since it will probably never happen.

Montreal could also use the following to make us American guys feel at home:

Hooters
    Wal*Mart

And then, the American take-over will be complete! Hoo hoo ha ha!!!

Just kidding...

proud infidel
    I think it's a great idea ! With the loss of the Spos and the hockey strike, there hasn't been much excitment here in terms of sports lately. In addition, if you look at F1, J Villeneuve's performances haven't been very inspiring. And at the indy car level, the Champ series is on the decline and the IRL looks like a tier- 2 series whose drivers we don't know, apart maybe from a certain woman named Danika Patrick. The sport of nascar, on the other hand, is on the rise and very popular in the States. It would be nice if we could also join the party so to speak. I'm all for it.

fml
    fml

Target

Hah! Yes, but in Montreal, it'd definitely be prounounced Tar-zhay...

Dissident
    Norris McDonald in The Toronto Star seems to think NASCAR is considering Downsview Airport, in the middle of Toronto.
    ...the former Downsview Airport can hold hundreds of thousands when the Pope or the Rolling Stones come to town, then they could hold a Nextel Cup race there.

Sure, it would cost some money to build a circuit, but the amount would be peanuts compared with how much a Nextel Cup race in Toronto would bring in year after year. Investors? They're lined up.

And they could design a really great road course on that property.
    ...they could even build a temporary oval there, if necessary, as Disney World in Florida did for the IRL in the league's early days...

Last, although there are plenty of places to park within walking distance, there is also excellent subway and bus service. And Downsview is smack dab in the middle of the GTA.

NASCAR says it will make a decision on a Canadian race in the next two to three months.
    There is a Bombardier factory there, so I suppose it's possible they might be interested, but I haven't heard anything else about this being a real possibility.

Alonso ran a lap in 1.16.3 last week end. Yesterday Terry Labonte best time 1.49.8. and was alone on the track can you imagine with 43 cars. 33 seconds slower. Thank god nascar is giving a good show but 33 seconds its an eternity

Bigfatoldwhiteguy
    Quote Originally Posted by voyageur11
    Alonso ran a lap in 1.16.3 last week end. Yesterday Terry Labonte best time 1.49.8. and was alone on the track can you imagine with 43 cars. 33 seconds slower. Thank god nascar is giving a good show but 33 seconds its an eternity
    not wen you have 43 cars at the same corner
    BIG-BaNG parts will be flying

Moby Dick
    out

All depend what you are looking for a car race or a démolition derby

No one wants to see cars just do left turns all day. they will only bring NASCAR in if they lose F1.

Quote Originally Posted by boxterturbo
    No one wants to see cars just do left turns all day. they will only bring NASCAR in if they lose F1.
    Wrong 8/4/2007 nascar will be racing in Montreal. Does Daytona 500 ring a bell? they turn left and a lot of peoples are watching