Thread: A Warning: Using RBC ATMs to exchange USD for CDN

It's a whole new ballgame

A Warning: Using RBC ATMs to exchange USD for CDN

There's a new screen in the process of using a US$ debit card to get Canadian $ from the RBC ATMs. It asks you if you want them to convert the dollars for you: Yes or No and it gives you the exchange rate they will give you, approximately 4% less than the actual rate.

If you say yes, you'll currently get about 99.2˘ for your US dollar.
    If you say no, you'll currently get a bit over $1.04 for your US dollar.

Again, this is at the Royal Bank of Canada, RBC, atm machines.
    The mounties always get their man.

Thanks for the info. I may use RBC if I am staying in the Old Montreal area since there is a branch there in Chinatown. If not I preferably use TD or Bank of Montreal.

Not exactly the same subject, but never use non big name bank machines. The private machines are owned by Russian mobsters and they will clone your card and know your PIN number when you punch it in. They wait a year and then they send someone to clean your account out.

It's a whole new ballgame
    Quote Originally Posted by Numerati View Post
    Thanks for the info. I may use RBC if I am staying in the Old Montreal area since there is a branch there in Chinatown. If not I preferably use TD or Bank of Montreal.
    Numerati, there's no problem with using the RBC ATM. Just say "No" when they ask if you want them to make the conversion for you and you'll be OK.
    The mounties always get their man.

I recently used an ATM in the airport in Calgary and at the airport in Toronto. I was ask the same question. I can't remember who's ATMs they were, however. I don't think they were RCB's.
    Sweetwater
    "I have the right to remain silent, but I don't have the ability": Ron White
    "Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?": Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin in "The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear" (1991)
    Pussycat Song- The Asylum Street Spankers
    Scrotum Song- The Asylum Street Spankers