Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Vito Rizzuto

It's a whole new ballgame

RIP Vito Rizzuto

Vito Rizzuto — the most powerful Mafia boss Canada has ever known — dead at 67
    Vito Rizzuto, the reputed head of the Montreal Mafia who built a powerful criminal organization with international tentacles, died in hospital Monday.

Rizzuto, 67, passed away of natural causes, said Maude Hebert-Chaput of Montreal’s Sacre-Coeur Hospital.
    His death raises questions about the future of the Rizzuto clan’s decades-old empire, which was crippled by his 2006 extradition to the United States.

Rizzuto was arrested by Canadian authorities in 2004 and extradited two years later to the U.S., where he was convicted for his role in the 1981 murder of three Bonanno crime-family members in New York City.

He was sentenced to 10 years in prison, minus time served while awaiting extradition.

Following his October 2012 release, Rizzuto returned to Canada to a group of family and friends whose ranks had thinned considerably.

The Rizzuto family had sustained damage in 2006 following Operation Colisee, a five-year police investigation that culminated in mass arrests in the largest sweep against the Italian Mafia in Canadian history.

Rizzuto’s eldest son, Nicolo Jr., was killed in broad daylight in December 2009. That brazen daytime shooting would set off a spate of killings and disappearances targeting some of Rizzuto’s closest allies and associates.

Paolo Renda, Rizzuto’s brother-in-law and the consigliere of the clan, disappeared in May 2010, vanishing from near his luxury home in north-end Montreal. Family members found his car but no trace of Renda, who has not been heard from since.

A well-known Rizzuto ally, Agostino ****rera, 66, was gunned down in front of his food-distribution business in June 2010.

In November of 2010, Rizzuto’s father, Nicolo Sr., was shot and killed as he prepared to sit down to dinner with his wife and daughter. The elder Rizzuto, 86, was gunned down with a sniper’s bullet through the window in his own mansion, near Vito’s home.

A year later, a man police believe was making a play for the leadership of Rizzuto’s old network met his own demise. Salvatore Montagna, a Canadian who was named by U.S. authorities as a former head of New York’s notorious Bonanno family, was gunned down near the banks of a river near Montreal.

Six people were arrested in connection with Montagna’s slaying including Raynald Desjardins, a former Rizzuto confidant once described as his right-hand man.

Rizzuto’s criminal empire stretched from South America to Europe.

In 2005, Italian prosecutors filed charges against Rizzuto over allegations that the Mafia was involved in the building of a multibillion-dollar bridge linking mainland Italy to Sicily.

That bridge was to be one of that country’s largest-ever public works projects — a dream of myriad people in that region that had gone unfulfilled since the early days of the Roman Empire.
    The mounties always get their man.

Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    A well-known Rizzuto ally, Agostino ****rera, 66, was gunned down in front of his food-distribution business in June 2010.
    Apparently, merb does not like the first four letters of Agostino's name, which rhymes with what a baseball players does when he sacrifices a runner from first to second base.

Original Dude
    I doubt he will really RIP considering the kind of life he lived...
    Life is a party ! Death is the Hangover.. 70-49-6

He was a great man sad new and all my sympathies to Rizuto familia
    Devil Ghost MC Support 81

Original Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbill007 View Post
    He was a great
    Huh do you realize we are talking about the head of the mafia, who assasinated lots of people, and im not mentioning the other criminal deeds he did...

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Halloween Mike View Post
    Huh do you realize we are talking about the head of the mafia, who assasinated lots of people, and im not mentioning the other criminal deeds he did...
    HM,

Have you ever read the book "Underboss" by Sammy "The Bull" Gravano? I am going to recommend it as reading for you because it is quite enlightening about mob culture and ethics and rules:

http://www.amazon.com/Underboss-Samm.../dp/0060930969

These guys do play by a certain code. Perhaps you have heard the expression "honor among thieves" or there is equivalent in French?

Gravano recounts many of his murders in the book, and from his perspective most of those people needed killing. And in many cases, they probably did. I am not sure abut the guy who ran over John Gotti's son, although my understanding was the he was murdered not for accidentally killing Gotti's son in a car accident, but for disrespecting the mother afterwards.

From the perspective of the Gravanos of the world, there is the criminal justice system and then there is the mob justice system, in which Gravano was John Gotti's principle dispenser of justice. He played by the rules of the system in which he operated. By the ways, Sammy has successfully been in hiding for almost 25 years now in the witness protection program. The book proves he is a very clever and resourceful man.

Although you are not part of this culture, you should try to understand it before denouncing it.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 12-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Original Dude
    No i have not read it, and altough i am aware of the old "better take the lesser evil" sentence, i still think its wrong. I may eventually read it , by curiosity tough, but i have a very different idea of justice.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Halloween Mike View Post
    i have a very different idea of justice.
    So do I but that book is well worth the read and you will have a more "understanding" view of some of the shenanigans that these guys do.

Rex in Pacem.It will be the quiest place to be for him.He can not any more hurt some people.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    Although you are not part of this culture, you should try to understand it before denouncing it.
    I take it, Beav, that you were part of Whitey Bulger's defense team?

By the ways, Sammy has successfully been in hiding for almost 25 years now in the witness protection program.
    Did he not drop out of the program only to be re-arrested and sentenced to prison time for his part in an ecstacy distribution ring?

Veteran of Misadventures
    Actually he was in the program for a time, dropped out, had plastic surgery, was busted on the ecstasy charges and is in prison in Arizona which is where he was reportedly living while in the witness protection program. He has nevertheless eluded would be assassins for 25 years.

KillBill007...

"He was a great man"...yeah right.

Your perception of "great" is a bit askew.

Just one more lowlife gone...good riddance.

What i mean by great man is he was powerful and respectful by other familia and even he was a MOB boss first he was a man,a father..And that was the same with Mr Cotroni or Mr Dimaulo whos has bee shooted by Rizzuto but that shit happend when you want play big bigger is the price to paid but first of sll they are man with lot of power and they need respect
    Devil Ghost MC Support 81

Most of the major criminal organizations have their own culture and code of conduct - the Italian Mafia, the Russian Mafia, Hell's Angels, street gangs, etc. However, one does need to have expert knowledge of their culture in order to condemn and denounce their murderous and barbaric acts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbill007 View Post
    Cotroni ... Dimaulo ... Rizzuto are man with lot of power and they need respect
    Throughout history there have been plenty of men with a lot of power, who used that power to commit systematic murder - Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein, North Korean Dictator Kim Jong-Un , etc. - Do they deserve a lot of respect too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast