Thread: computer.

computer.

I am asking all the computer savy member what is the best laptop for the money.
    I am looking to get a new laptop. I cannot stand windows 8 but they all have so will have no choice.
    I have a an acer now and am happy with it. the only thing i do not like as all the crap that comes pre installed.
    so please if you have any advice let me know.. do not want to spend a lot i think maybe tops 700.
    thanking everyone in advance

If you don't like windows get an Apple Mac you can get "Windows for MAC "software if needed for Office use You can also get free training at the Apple store. Apple tends to be less prone to viruses etc. Depending on your needs there are quite a selection. I have a new MAC Air and am slowly using it more and more instead of my old Dell.
    Do unto other's as they would do unto you BUT DO IT FIRST

Veteran of Misadventures
    donzo, in the USA $700 would fetch you the absolute highest end laptop out there. You could get a more than decent one for $300.

donzo. Your computer selection goes back to the age old question, "What are you going to use the laptop for?".

Here's a link to a Cnet buying guide that has practical recommendations.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-buying-guide/

For Windows, I like to stick to HP or lenovo (formerly IBM's laptop business), but as you say it comes with all that "crap" preloaded and there's no real way around it. My choices are mostly because I've had good luck with these brands in the past.

If you don't need a heavy duty laptop, maybe the laptop hybrid (the tablet/laptop combo) but it will probably cost you more.

Good Luck

Hi donzo,

A few months ago I bought an Acer 14 inches laptop from BestBuy here in Montreal. It has a Intel i5 processor so performance in quite good. It was on sale at the time and I paid about 630$ including taxes. It did came with Windows 8 (which I then upgraded to 8.1). I'm not a fan so I installed CLASSIC SHELL :

http://www.classicshell.net/

Installing this free software (donorware, actually) makes the OS feels as if you are running Windows7 (Start button and all). As for the crapware, that's a necessary evil and not a big deal at all. In the end, it does make the machine cheaper to buy. Uninstalling those unwanted program is just a small trip to the PROGRAMS AND FEATURES section to nuke those you don't want.

If you would rather not get your hands dirty, you can try another free software made especially for this. It's called PC DECRAPIFIER. The name says it all :

http://pcdecrapifier.com/download

Happy shopping

YoungBob
    « Je tiens beaucoup à ma montre, c'est mon grand-père qui me l'a vendue sur son lit de mort. » de Woody Allen

I hated windows 8 too but once I installed classic shell all was back to normal. It automatically loads to the desktop so you never even see any of that annoying stuff.

I'm not a techie and I'm sort of cheap when it comes to computers. If you're not really looking for portability, the most common size seems to be the 15.6 inch and they have the best specs for the lowest price. It looks like the 15.6 inch laptops are even a better deal than desktops. Just go to the bureau en gros or futureshop or bestbuy flyer and look at the deals

Me personally I like portability so I'm not even comfortable with a 14 inch but then you're paying more for less.

Again I'm not a techie so all you guys that are going to start nit picking, it won't bother me but nit pick away.

if you just surf the net...get a old laptop (200 or less) and install linux...there's LibreOffice which imitates
    Microsoft Office. Linux doesn't hog memory and CPU like windows.

From tomorrow's BUREAU EN GROS' flyer, I found two interesting deals. Both ACER's. One is an Intel i3 processor at 431$ + taxes

http://www.staples.ca/product_309529_2-CA_2_20001

The other is an Intel i5 for 601$ + taxes

http://www.staples.ca/product_309528_2-CA_2_20001

Right now, for this one, the price is 729$ + taxes, but I imagine it will come down to 601$ by tomorrow (2014-01-15). What is great with this chain of stores is that you can bring the laptop back were it to not satisfy your needs. No questions asked.

Good luck!

YoungBob
    « Je tiens beaucoup à ma montre, c'est mon grand-père qui me l'a vendue sur son lit de mort. » de Woody Allen