Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 - 2014 Season

Formula 1 - 2014 Season

The Formula 1 2014 season started and Nico Rosberg driving Mercedes won the Australian Grand Prix quite handily. However, there was controversy as second place finisher and home town favorite rookie Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) was disqualified for some fuel consumption infraction….

Rosberg started third on the grid and was first to reach turn one, then drove away from the field leading until the end of the race. The margin of victory of almost 30 seconds and the convincing performance showed why Mercedes is to be considered a strong favorite to win the constructors' title in 2014.

Rosberg’s victory was not a surprise, given Mercedes was the dominant team in preseason testing and throughout the race weekend in Melbourne. However, there were surprises as both pole sitter Hamilton (also with Mercedes) and world champion Vettel (Red Bull) suffered engine failures after a dozen laps. It seems that many teams are having difficulties getting performance and reliability out of the new V6 hybrid engines.

In fact among the top contenders, only McLaren and Ferrari got both cars to finish the race. However, it seems that their cars are quite a bit slower and they need to make improvements to remain competitive this year.

Next race is the Malaysian Grand Prix in two weeks. The Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal is June 8th!
    The complete schedule for 2014 can be found at: http://www.formula1.com/races/calendar.html

A strange start to the season

The rule changes have turned the whole grid around

I woke up to watch the rebroadcast at 6:30 in the Metro NYC area

I lasted 15 minutes before I fell asleep again

This year I picked Force India to be the surprise of 2014, with Mercedes power

The surprise was on me, with Hulkenberg and Perez coming in 6th and 10th

The surprise of the race was newboy Magnussen coming in 3rd for McLaren in his debut

His father ( Jan Magnussen ) was jinxed by Jackie Stewart saying that he was going to be the next F1 champion, when Jackie formed the Stewart F1 team in 1997

I wish Massa wasn't taken out in turn one of the first lap

I'd like to see him have a good year at Williams

Should be a very interesting year

I hope they find that plane in the next two weeks

Best Regards

Smuler
    Savoir Faire Is Everywhere !!!

Trying one day to be " In the Know "

We already have our bleacher seats booked for the race here
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Tee Nutz View Post
    We already have our bleacher seats booked for the race here
    Lewis Hamilton cruises to victory in the Malaysian Grand Prix in a one-two finish for Mercedes - showing just how strong the team will be in 2014! Thus far through only two races, Mercedes has clearly been the most dominant F1 race car team.

Hamilton who started first on the grid led from pole to flag with his Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg finishing second and defending World Champion Sebastian Vettel finishing third.

The new fuel used % info they give this year is a nice little touch. I find it sad to see the Iceman so far from the leaders and was expecting him to give Alonzo more of a fight...the season is still young though.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstrahd View Post
    The new fuel used % info they give this year is a nice little touch. I find it sad to see the Iceman so far from the leaders and was expecting him to give Alonzo more of a fight...the season is still young though.
    Indeed, I prefer Raikkonen (nicknamed Iceman for those MERB members that did not know) to Alonso as a driver...However, at Ferrari the issue is not only the car's lackluster performance but team management and politics...Sad indeed, because IMHO Raikonnen is a better driver than Alonso....

Let's see if this changes as the season progresses...but I have some doubts in regards to this!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    Sad indeed, because IMHO Raikonnen is a better driver than Alonso....
    I respectfully disagree

I'd love to have Alonso on my team

I'm gonna watch the replay here in the USA at 3 PM

I wanna see what happened between Massa and his teammate Bottas towards the end of the race

If Felipe did disobey team orders .....

Best Regards

Smuler

Raikonnen is more spectacular and will not hesitate to overtake in places other people won't usually do it and Alonzo is better at managing a race and pace. As for the Scuderia team management, it's obvious that the missing key is Russ Brawn.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstrahd View Post
    Raikonnen is more spectacular and will not hesitate to overtake in places other people won't usually do it and Alonzo is better at managing a race and pace. As for the Scuderia team management, it's obvious that the missing key is Russ Brawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by smuler View Post
    I respectfully disagree

I'd love to have Alonso on my team

I'm gonna watch the replay here in the USA at 3 PM

I wanna see what happened between Massa and his teammate Bottas towards the end of the race

If Felipe did disobey team orders .....

Best Regards

Smuler
    Don't misunderstand me Smuler, I like Alonso as a driver and he is a great driver and Ferrari is fortunate to have him...
    However, treat Raikonnen the same way...give him an equally performing car and let the drivers battle it out on skills and instinct and see who is better! They are both great drivers...I prefer Raikonnen!

And I fully concur with you Kingstrahd, as I stated it's an issue of team management at Ferrari...the days of Brawn / Todt / Byrne are gone at Ferrari...and yes Raikonnen is more spectacular because he takes more risks!

Update on Michael :

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formu...suite-at-home/

Best Regards

Smuler

Update on Michael :

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formu...suite-at-home/

Best Regards

Smuler
    Yeah its sad to think of a brilliant man reduced to this.
    Do unto other's as they would do unto you BUT DO IT FIRST

I still remember his first race

It was in a Jordan . It was at the Belgian Gp in 1991

Bertrand Gachot went to jail for macing a taxicab driver ( Can you believe it ? )

http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-biogr...rtrand-gachot/

Mercedes then gave 150,000 USD to Jordan to put Mercedes Junior driver program hotshoe Michael in the car

all he did in his first drive was put the car on the 3rd row after qualifying

He never finished the first lap on Sunday with a clutch failure

He was quickly snapped up by Benetton, and never looked back

He took over as the new superstar after Ayrton Senna was killed at Imola in 94

Best Regards

Smuler

I still remember his first race

It was in a Jordan . It was at the Belgian Gp in 1991

He took over as the new superstar after Ayrton Senna was killed at Imola in 94

Best Regards

Smuler
    I also remember that at is beginning he was called schumacrash ! He was a great driver but he never had great opposition to compete with him ! Always the best car with the beneton renault first v10 then Ferrari...
    GOHABSGO

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Formula 1 racing has become such a drag!! Same teams winning year after year, teams who hold the top pole positions seem to always win the races, etc.

I used to be a huge F1 fan 10-15 years ago.....i was a fanatic over 25-30 years ago when we had the likes of Gilles Villeneuve, Rene Arnoux, Didier Pironi & Nigel Mansel racing.

Now i pvr the races, watch the pre-race show, watch the start of the race & then fast-forward the rest of the race until something mildly interesting happens.

What's happened to Formula 1 racing???

Even though i still casually watch it (via pvr), i keep asking myself: "Why the hell does anyone still watch this crap??"

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I used to be a huge F1 fan 10-15 years ago.....i was a fanatic over 25-30 years ago when we had the likes of Gilles Villeneuve, Rene Arnoux, Didier Pironi & Nigel Mansel racing.

Now i pvr the races, watch the pre-race show, watch the start of the race & then fast-forward the rest of the race until something mildly interesting happens.

What's happened to Formula 1 racing???

Even though i still casually watch it (via pvr), i keep asking myself: "Why the hell does anyone still watch this crap??"
    Fully concur Doc, the F1 races today don't carry the same excitement that they use to!

For all Merb members, perhaps the greatest duel ever in an F1 race: Lap 79 of the 1979 French Grand Prix: Villeneuve vs. Arnoux
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSpCvccOAYU

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast