Thread: Final Four - March Madness

Final Four - March Madness

What an incredible finish between Kentucky and Michigan minutes ago....a 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds left clinched it for Kentucky after being down earlier in the game....and a tough loss to swallow for the Michigan Wolverines....

Final Four matchups are set for April 5th:

#1 Florida vs #7 Connecticut
    #2 Wisconsin vs #8 Kentucky

My friend Hungry101 from Michigan...it's too bad we could not see the two teams from Michigan square off in the Final Four...it would have been quite a matchup to see the Michigan State Spartans (Magic Johnson alma mater) go up against the Michigan Wolverines.....or at least one of them in the Finals!

Veteran of Misadventures
    UConn all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have watched them all year and the last 3 games they have played unbelievable defense. Very worried about Kentucky though, they look like a pro team.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    UConn all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have watched them all year and the last 3 games they have played unbelievable defense. Very worried about Kentucky though, they look like a pro team.
    Kentucky was awesome today and they are indeed a scary team to play against...I think the winner of the Florida vs Connecticut matchup wins the NCAA title...
    However, if I had to pick one it would be the Gators!

Veteran of Misadventures
    sharkman

UConn beat Florida in Storrs earlier in the year on a buzzer beater by Napier.......Florida's last loss......check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3NPUDWhqZI

Here are the elements of this last play:

(1) Florida traps Napier to try and flush ball out of his hands
    (2) Napier cleverly slices through trap, maintains dribble and gets off shot
    (3) DeAndre Daniels backtaps rebound to Napier
    (4) Napier hits game winner and Gampel explodes

Florida has won 30 in a row since that shot.

By the ways I have been watching UConn for many years and was a season ticket holder 1990-2007 until I had to give the tickets up due to the change in my commute and Napier is quite possibly the toughest kid to ever wear the UConn uniform. He comes from the Charlestown area of Boston.

sharkman

UConn beat Florida in Storrs earlier in the year on a buzzer beater by Napier.......Florida's last loss......check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3NPUDWhqZI

Here are the elements of this last play:

(1) Florida traps Napier to try and flush ball out of his hands
    (2) Napier cleverly slices through trap, maintains dribble and gets off shot
    (3) DeAndre Daniels backtaps rebound to Napier
    (4) Napier hits game winner and Gampel explodes

Florida has won 30 in a row since that shot.

By the ways I have been watching UConn for many years and was a season ticket holder 1990-2007 until I had to give the tickets up due to the change in my commute and Napier is quite possibly the toughest kid to ever wear the UConn uniform. He comes from the Charlestown area of Boston.
    It's going to be a tough game....no question about it....in fact, I see it as a toss up between the two...the winner wins the tournament...the Gators are on a roll and UConn is the team that can beat them again!....and Napier is a "Townie"...he's got to be tough!

Veteran of Misadventures
    Final score: UConn 63, Florida 53

Go Huskies Monday night!

Veteran of Misadventures
    Final score Kentucky 74, Wisconsin 73

UConn vs. Kentucky Monday night for NCAA Championship

Final score Kentucky 74, Wisconsin 73

UConn vs. Kentucky Monday night for NCAA Championship
    EB you were indeed correct in your analysis, UConn rules! And it was a fully deserving win for UConn. In fact, it was not even close against the Gators....

Great game in the night cap with Harrison's late second 3-pointer to win it for Calipari's Wildcats.....

However, I am going with UConn in the finals on Monday night....Should be a great matchup, not to be missed!

Congrats EB...way to go UConn....fully deserving win to beat Kentucky 60-54....IMHO it was not even close...UConn pretty much controlled the game from start to finish! Fourth National Championship in 15 years for UConn....very impressive indeed!

I can't believe UConn did it. I hate Kentucky. They are the new Yankees of college basketball. One of the Montreal agencies should give EagerBeaver a free hour as a celebratory tribute. Congrats UConn.

Veteran of Misadventures
    It was an awesome win by UConn. Kentucky's roster from 1-10 are future NBA players, but they were a little young and their execution down the stretch was a little wild. UConn's big men were actually dominated by Kentucky's, but the UConn guard play was again superb and that is why they won. Shabazz Napier was the Final Four Most Outstanding player and he has now been a key player on 2 UConn national championship teams. His backcourt mate Ryan Boatright was almost as good.

Kentucky amasses a lot of talent but UConn caught them young. If those Kentucky freshman came back the next 3 years they would win the next 3 NCAA titles. But they are all off the to the NBA.

I watched the UConn team all year and believe me they did not play this well all year. They were a bit up and down and had trouble with zone defenses at times, but their team defense in the NCAA tournament went up about 5 notches. And that is how UConn won its other 3 championships as well. This one was the most unexpected of the 4 and they deserve it in a big way.

Congrats EB...Very impressive tourney for UConn. I am hoping for a ND win tomorrow night though for the girls. Geno Auriemma is one of the most pompous pricks I've ever seen.
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Veteran of Misadventures
    SK- the star of the UConn team Shabazz Napier originally comes from Charlestown and grew up playing ball in the street there. He is a kid who is equal parts talent and guts like Pedroia of the Red Sox. He will soon see his uniform hanging on UConn's "wall of honor" with his former teammate Kemba Walker. He was part of 2 championship teams at UConn, the first player off the bench on the 2011 title team and now the star of the 2014 title team.

Regarding Geno Auriemma, he does sound pompous in media interviews but he is not like that in person. I met him in person a few years back at a local fundraising dinner and had a private conversation with him plus he allowed his picture to be taken with me. You can talk to him about the team like a fan does and he gives straight and honest answers. For the media he adopts a different person partly to drum up interest in the sport. The women's teams have to be more creative and over the top in how they market their sport which simply does not draw the same attention as the men. Although the UConn women's program is a moneymaker it is not in the same class as the men and this has always bothered Geno because the UConn women play some of the best basketball fundamentally that you will see.

He is also a brilliant coach known to employ great defensive strategies. The UConn girls led the nation this year in almost every meaningful team defensive stat while the undefeated ND team they play tonight led in every offensive stat. This will be a tough game and ND, despite playing without their starting center Achonwa, has a shot to win the game. ND has somewhat had UConn's number in recent years, although UConn beat them badly in the Final 4 last year. I think this year's ND team is better than last year's.

Veteran of Misadventures

Giffey: Napier Promised UConn Team They Would Cut Down Nets

Veteran of Misadventures
    Here is a great article on the UConn men's championship run by Mike Lupica:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.1749120

By the ways not mentioned was that UConn's 87.8% FT shooting in the NCAA tournament (101 for 115) is not only an all time record for an NCAA national champion, it is a record for any team that played more than 3 games in the NCAA tournament.