Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone into the Stock Market?

Anyone into the Stock Market?

Just a heads up, it is likely to be a very rough week for the stock market (S&P 500 and the Nasdaq indexes)...it may make some investors cream in their pants!
    So hang in there if you are a long term investor!

In fact, April 2014 may turn out as one of the worst months for the stock market in quite some time!

Don't be nervous i lived two big drops in my life 1989 and 2008 and also i think the stock remain one of the best place to improve in the long term yours assets

i have too say that is something that i would love to learn about it...and not been cross...i heard good and bad story about it...people win big and lost big....but still wish to know that stock market
    Donner une deuxième chance a quelqu'un qui ta trahi c'est comme donner une deuxième balle a quelqu'un qui ta manqué!!!

The best advice for you is to start slowly with blue ship like banks.

Quote Originally Posted by simonpaul View Post
    The best advice for you is to start slowly with blue ship like banks.
    Blue chip stocks that pay a good dividend is a great way for investors to start. Dividends help shield/mitigate the effects of a stock market drop as dividends substantially reduce the purchase cost of your stock in the long term.

Exchange traded funds (ETF's) are excellent as well as you can get a lot of diversification coupled with low management expenses.

For example, you can buy an ETF that represents a fraction ownership in 500 US blue chip companies (ETF symbol: SPY, traded on the New York Stock Exchange and easily accessible for an investor in Canada by simply placing an order through any discount broker). If you believe in technology stocks then you can you can buy an ETF that represents the Top 100 technology companies in the US (ETF symbol: QQQ, also traded on the New York Stock Exchange). In Canada you can buy an ETF that represents ownership in the Top 60 blue chip Canadian stocks (ETF Symbol: XIU traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange and easily accessible for an investor in Canada by simply placing an order through any discount broker).

In addition, you can buy ETFs for specific sectors (i.e.: Financials, Energy, Mining, Gold, Consumer products manufacturer's, etc), and you can buy regional country ETF's such as ETF's based on Emerging Markets countries (based on 800+ stocks in 22 countries) all in one ETF basket (ETF Symbol: EEM traded on the New York Stock Exchange and easily accessible for an investor in Canada by simply placing an order through any discount broker).

Today the investment products available for investors are endless.

The stock market is the only business I know that when something goes on sale for 10%, 20%+ off, nobody will step in to buy!!!!! Yet, you go to Holt Renfrew or Bloomingdales and you get 20%+ off a hot item(s), then everybody jumps on the sale!!!!

It's incredible how psychology and fear fucks up investors!

why is this going to be a bad week?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Jones View Post
    why is this going to be a bad week?
    There was a lot of closing out of long positions by hedge funds last week as well as new short selling coming in from hedge funds and surprisingly HFT's (high frequency traders) as well in many stocks last week (especially high flyers such as tech stocks in the NASDAQ index). In fact, this has been going on for two weeks now and the selling picked up last week. The speed and amplitude of the drops is somewhat worrisome and usually this type of volatility translates into follow through selling. Therefore, in my opinion and being in the business, the sentiment amongst traders is that we have more on the downside to go this week.

In fact, the futures markets definitely points to lower prices short-term as heavy selling came in throughout last week....and the futures market always leads moves in the underlying stocks because of the very high leverage traders and hedge funds can get by using index futures.

This week ended up okay. But just wait until next week... or the week after

IMHO 2014 is a year to stay away from stocks. Especially away from US Dollars.
    There is way too many uncertainty, corruption, bogus statistics. Libor scandal.. Everything is rigged.
    Even Warren Buffet is worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX7J...&feature=share

Quote Originally Posted by HUmm64 View Post
    IMHO 2014 is a year to stay away from stocks. Especially away from US Dollars.
    There is way too many uncertainty, corruption, bogus statistics. Libor scandal.. Everything is rigged.
    Even Warren Buffet is worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX7J...&feature=share
    If the majority of people sell ,it is an indication to buy.The best thing todo to make money is not to go in the same direction of the majority of people just do the opposite like Buffett.

Trimmed positions in O&G this week. I'm becoming a little nervous by looking at the steady rise of both oily and gasy stocks.

If you have invested in companies that make sense or mutual funds that are value oriented you will be rewarded for hanging in there. If any of your investments have been put into these positions to try and maximize your gains in a very short time period you are making a huge mistake. If it is for the short term, put your money into money market ! If it is for retirement and you are further than 10 years from that, be more aggressive, if you are in your 30's bang away as much as you can afford (10%) of your net income is great) Be aggressive and once you move into a position have a target and be prepared to hang in until you hit your target. For those of you who are looking for ideas, Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc., Bank of Nova Scotia , and BCE are pretty good choices. Excellent capital growth potential in all three and excellent dividend payments with BNS and BCE
    " You actually get to choose your friends, family.........well..."

i am reallyyyyyyyyyy sorry...but when the lady at the bank speak to me..too put my money there...and there...and show me this and that..i am all confused...it is like another language completely...i was wondering where could i learn..like for dummies lollll all that ...or just a least a bite of knowledge...cause the bank lady have some...but she is not playing with that special market all the times...just the one that the bank offer..so where is that book for dummies snifff...and doggyluver for the ideas seems great..but where could i purchase or get too know that stuff....

p.s. damn i was sure i would not talk stock market in the merb area lollll
    Donner une deuxième chance a quelqu'un qui ta trahi c'est comme donner une deuxième balle a quelqu'un qui ta manqué!!!

THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by panthere View Post
    i am reallyyyyyyyyyy sorry...but when the lady at the bank speak to me..too put my money there...and there...and show me this and that..i am all confused...it is like another language completely...i was wondering where could i learn..like for dummies lollll all that ...or just a least a bite of knowledge...cause the bank lady have some...but she is not playing with that special market all the times...just the one that the bank offer..so where is that book for dummies snifff...and doggyluver for the ideas seems great..but where could i purchase or get too know that stuff....

Start here http://www.investopedia.com/university/

Avoid mutual funds which for the most part make the fund managers and its sellers more money than the investor. If you have no interest in following and picking individual stocks then go with exchange traded funds. (ETF) You can find ETFs that pretty much mimic any mutual fund but has lower fees.

A good resource to screen ETFs is http://www2.morningstar.ca/homepage/...?culture=en-CA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The hockey game most enjoyed by Canadians from coast to coast since 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by panthere View Post

If you want to do it yourself, open an account with a discount broker , all the banks have one and pick an ETF or a couple of quality stocks. I tell clients to pick a stock they know and when it comes to something like Couche tard or BCE make sure you go to their store or use Bells services. In other words put money in your own pocket. If the size of the account is small NEVER deal with a broker (I am a broker lol) the fees for transactions will kill your profits. Like Buffet, if you own Coke stock, why would you ever drink a Pepsi ?
    " You actually get to choose your friends, family.........well..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast