Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs - 2014

NBA Playoffs - 2014

Should be quite interesting this year. A lot of upsets in the making!

Who do you like to take it all?

Retired veteran hobbyist
    This year's playoffs have been great!

Three game 7's today and one tomorrow (Raptors-Nets).

The Raptors game tomorrow will coincide with the Toronto Marathon, so there'll likely be chaos in the streets since thousands of Raptors fans are once again expected to watch the game outside at Maple Leafs Square (a.k.a. Jurassic Park).

Totally agree with you Doc, the 1st round of the NBA has been fantastic...unfairly forgotten as a result of the attention being focused on the Sterling racism story.
    We have four series extending to game seven in the 1st round...including Atlanta (a team which made the playoffs with a record under 500) extending the Indiana Pacers (the team with the best record in the East) to a game 7...

Here are my picks to advance:

Miami
    Indiana

San Antonio
    OKC

Indiana
    San Antonio

San Antonio

Retired veteran hobbyist
    I can't see Indiana winning another round. They sucked big time over the past 2 months or so and were in a downward spiral by the time the playoffs came. They were lucky to beat Atlanta!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Two more game 7's to go and then it's off to round 2. This year, every single playoffs series in round 1 went to game 7 other than the Miami/Charlotte series. This may be the best round 1 of the playoffs that i've ever seen!

So far, the favorites wound up winning their series. Toronto/Brooklyn are up next. They expect 10 000 fans watching the game outdoors at Maple Leafs Square (a.k.a. "Jurassic Park"). Great playoff atmosphere out there!

Veteran of Misadventures
    Congratulations to the Brooklyn Nets for winning game 7 in Toronto. Raptors had a chance to win it but Paul Pierce blocked Lowry's shot as time expired!!!!!

Great play by Toronto late. They never gave up, even though the Nets showed they were the more experienced and savvy team.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post

Great play by Toronto late. They never gave up, even though the Nets showed they were the more experienced and savvy team.
    Well, that's what being the team with the highest payroll in the NBA will do. Win you a round.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    Congratulations to the Brooklyn Nets for winning game 7 in Toronto. Raptors had a chance to win it but Paul Pierce blocked Lowry's shot as time expired!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Well, that's what being the team with the highest payroll in the NBA will do. Win you a round.
    Tough loss for the Raptors...I hate to play arm chair quarterback, but it seemed that the last play was poorly designed...Lowry should have passed it to DeRozan who was in position for a makeable jumper...You could see when the play developed that there was no room for Lowry to penetrate inside! The Brooklyn defense was boxed in. IMHO it was a poor decision by Lowry!

However, my uncle from Sunset Park is a happy camper as a result of the Brooklyn win!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    Tough loss for the Raptors...I hate to play arm chair quarterback, but it seemed that the last play was poorly designed...Lowry should have passed it to DeRozan who was in position for a makeable jumper...You could see when the play developed that there was no room for Lowry to penetrate inside! The Brooklyn defense was boxed in. IMHO it was a poor decision by Lowry!
    I just learned that the play that was originally designed was for Terrence Ross to go to the corner, and Patrick Patterson to be outside the key at the wing position. Neither went to their designed position. Nerves probably. Had they went to their designed position, there would have been less room in the key. Paul Pierce, whose job was to cover Patterson, wouldn't have been standing where he was. Had Ross & Patterson went to their designed position, Lowry would only have had one guy to beat on his way to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I just learned that the play that was originally designed was for Terrence Ross to go to the corner, and Patrick Patterson to be outside the key at the wing position. Neither went to their designed position. Nerves probably. Had they went to their designed position, there would have been less room in the key. Paul Pierce, whose job was to cover Patterson, wouldn't have been standing where he was. Had Ross & Patterson went to their designed position, Lowry would only have had one guy to beat on his way to the basket.
    Makes sense Doc...there was a clear breakdown offensively on that play! The play looked very sloppy as it developed.
    Unfortunate, for the Raptors...they deserved better fate than to go out in the 1st Round! The series could have gone either way...it was that close!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    Makes sense Doc...there was a clear breakdown offensively on that play! The play looked very sloppy as it developed.
    Unfortunate, for the Raptors...they deserved better fate than to go out in the 1st Round! The series could have gone either way...it was that close!
    What pissed me off more about the loss was the fact it was well-known all around the league that Brooklyn had tanked its final games in order to face the Raptors instead of the Chicago Bulls. In one of its last regular season games, every single starter was benched for the entire game & i was told that even the top bench players didn't play or barely played.

I suppose there is no rule broken if a team wants to tank a few games in order to get an opponent they feel they match better with, but still.....it's gutless if you ask me.

Go Lebron!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Coach Dwane Casey signed to new 3-year contract

by Doug Smith, The Toronto Star

It didn’t take long for Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri to take care of an important job.

Ujiri and coach Dwane Casey have agreed in principle on a new three-year contract extension that will afford the team a much-needed level of continuity, according to NBA and Toronto sources.
    Terms of the deal, which could be officially announced as early as Tuesday when Ujiri and Casey hold their end-of-season media sessions, were not available.

Casey, 57, has taken the team to unprecedented heights since being hired by then-Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo. Preaching a defence-first attitude, he led the Raptors to the best regular season record in franchise history (48-34) this season, an Atlantic Division title and a compelling seven-game playoff round with the Brooklyn Nets.

The consistency of his message, and the fatherly way in which it was delivered, was not lost on the players.

“One thing I respect about coach Casey, man, he’s been consistent,” all-star swingman DeMar DeRozan said Monday. “He’s been the same Dwane Casey since he’s been here, preached the same thing, told us to stick with the same principles and they’ll work . . . and everything he said came together like he said it would.

“You gotta respect coach Casey. He never changed up. You could go in his office, knock on his door, talk to him whenever, you could text him.

Dwane Casey signs new 3-year deal

Veteran of Misadventures

Spurs Plant Snake In Blazers Lockerroom

It's getting interesting in the NBA playoffs as well!

What a major meltdown by the Clippers last night against OKC in Game 5! The Clippers blew a 13 point lead with 4 minutes left to lose by 1 point in a wild finish!

Series goes back to LA for Game 6 with OKC up 3-2.

After taking a big early lead in Game 5, the Miami Heat have blown it and they now trail big in the 3rd quarter.
    It seems that San Antonio is going to close out the series in 5 games to win the NBA championship!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast