Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suncor Employee Killed By Bear in Alberta

Veteran of Misadventures

Suncor Employee Killed By Bear in Alberta

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...site-1.2636133

Can someone please explain to me how Suncor can send its employees out in rural bear country with no firearms and no bear spray? Bears are coming out of hibernation in northern Canada and they are very hungry. This kind of contact can certainly be anticipated.

Absolutely an unecessary death and Suncor has her blood on their hands.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Don't poke the bear.

Veteran of Misadventures
    reverdy,

The woman who was attacked was with 6 co-workers. One of those 6 should have had a bear spray or a gun. At least then they would have had a chance to save her. Also, the attack was at 2 pm broad daylight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    One of those 6 should have had a bear spray or a gun.
    Hmmm,

I agree. There should have been two armed people in case one gets attacked first. I'm not sure how a bear spray works, but I'm sure it doesn't have the immediate impact of a gun. A bear is a stalking predator that does know how to get close and a charging bear moves fast, some up to 30 mph for quite a distance. Bears go after large prey including moose, so I wouldn't count on that..they don't like to go near humans...factor, as this story shows.

If you are nervous it won't matter if you are aiming a spray or a gun, but I sure would like to have a pump action or semi-auto shotgun handy rather than a spray a bear could get through for a couple of seconds to knock someone down. A relative of mine carries a huge .55 cal automatic pistol just in case of the bears when he stops in Alaska during a shipping run.

Good luck,

Merlot

Veteran of Misadventures
    Bear spray is very similar to pepper spray that is used on humans, it stings and is very painful and has the effect of making the bear run away from the source of that pain (you), without killing or permanently injuring the bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_spray

Veteran of Misadventures
    This update on this tragedy picks up on one of the ironies of this story, which is that Suncor is "leading the assault on nature" in Alberta, and now nature has bitten back:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1319186/mo...fort-mcmurray/

Meanwhile here is a CBC news article on safety in the field for workers:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ield-1.2636687

This bring back memories. Once while I was spring bear hunting a young male climbed my tree stand ladder and started smelling my boot. So I tapped him his snout with my bow. He sure high tailed it out of there. I was glad it wasn' t a sow with a cub or worse yet a cub. I got down before night fall that day. Back at the camp my first beer was all foam. What worries me the most now is the cougar sightings in my hunting territory. Cougars are silent predators . Btw this is in the Outaouais region of Quebec.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Most documented cougar attacks are on children. Cougars are intimidated by size. When I went hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park we were instructed that if we encountered a Cougar, do not run, but instead stand your ground and stick your hands up in the air so that the Cougar has a perception of significant height. Something like 90% of Cougar attacks on humans are on small children.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
    Btw this is in the Outaouais region of Quebec.
    Let's not forget about this, which happened in Outaouais region:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/08...suv/?hpt=hp_t2

There is a very good chance that the bear was sick as what it did is not normal. The girl was inside the fenced compound and with people, a healthy bear would not have attacked or been inside the gates. As for having a gun on site will never happen and pepper spray would have been available if asked for and would have been asked for had they left the compound to do scouting. It was a tragic accident and no blame should be on Suncor.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Hell these were just black bears. I opened the article and I expected to hear about grizzly or something more ferocious. the articles said bear spray would have been sufficient in 80-90% of the cases with black and grizzly bears. for a firearm, a .357 would be fine for black bears I think. My friend is a bear hunting guide and they carry side arms when they are handling the dogs (the hunter carries a rifle or shotgun.) He said he was surprised that a .40 on a wounded bare would barely penetrate the bear's layer of fat so he bought a .44 Mag. I have a .44 mag but as Revardy said, I have not mastered it. It is a hand cannon so I opted for a 10mm which I can aim. (note# a 10MM is basically a .40 Magnum. it is the same size projectile).

You don't expect black bears to do this. The article said last time this happened there was 1992 and it was a 12 year old boy. I have been told that black bear attacks are rare. However, there are no false charges as there are with a Griz. Therefore, you do not play dead with a black bear. You have to fight back. I think the employees should be trained with bear spray.

Veteran of Misadventures
    The various articles I read speculated that this particular bear, which was a large male black bear, had recently come out of hibernation and was very hungry. Since the RCMP killed the bear they will be able to examine it for abnormalities and presumably, if any are found they will be reported.

Although black bear attacks are rare, they are more likely to be predatory than defensive when they do occur. Grizzly bears are more territorial and their attacks are more likely to be defensive attacks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol Tee Nutz View Post
    ...a healthy bear would not have attacked...
    Hello STN,

I have grave doubts about this, and I hope no one ever bets their lives on it. Healthy but hungry predators are opportunistic, and it really isn't natural for a predator to stay away from a vulnerable human unless they have learned to. We were a pray species until we learned to work together to use weapons from stones to guns and became hunters. Still, crocodiles, hippos, lions, elephants, large snakes, etc kill many each year. Well fed and healthy zoo or park animals have attacked humans. If you go to a camping area at a state park containing bears you will be warned about various things not do that attract bears. With the way a lot of people act at parks and at home as if wild animals are almost domesticated pets without owners, cute and cuddly, I wonder how much fear bears have of humans these days...though it is surprising a bear would go among 6 active people around 2:00 pm.

List of Bear Attacks

Good luck,

Merlot

I am at a Suncor site about 20 Km north of the plant she was killed at, I have had bears 10 meters from me, work in areas where trouble bears are released, follow me and false charge me over the last 30 years, taken many courses and have had bear hunters on some jobs, they scare the hell out if me and I am cautious in the woods. What this bear did was not normal especially for a black bear. BTW, bear spray is only good if the bear is 10 meters or less away, most would not have the nuts to stand there while a bear is charging to spray at the right time, better to just suck it up and spray yourself and hope the bear does not like hot food. If you are in a bear area wear bells to make noise and talk, that will keep a bear away as they do not want to meet you either. Walk around with ear buds on and well surprise, you are about to be fucked.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

He said he was surprised that a .40 on a wounded bare would barely penetrate the bear's layer of fat so he bought a .44 Mag. I have a .44 mag but as Revardy said, I have not mastered it. It is a hand cannon so I opted for a 10mm which I can aim. (note# a 10MM is basically a .40 Magnum. it is the same size projectile). Spring bears are always hungry, and spook easily. Except for garbage dump and tourist feed bears(should never be done). Shot placement will bring any critter down. My last spring bear was harvested at 22 meters, with a 100grain retractable broadhead with a 56lbs draw. Deadly pass through shot. No ringing in my ears after the shot. Bear skin is tough and spring bears have depleted their stored fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast