Thread: Brand NEW laptop

Brand NEW laptop

Brand new laptop.. just lost. I bought a new toshiba laptop just couple of months ago... yesterday, a cup of wine was spilled on it...It does not turn on anymore... i do have a garantee but obviously it doesnt cover liquid spillage...
    In any case, i disassembled it yesterday (took me more than 3 hrs... ), cleaned it as much as i can... and I am sending it back for repair... I am pretty much sure they will find out about the wine... but I wanted to try my luck?
    Did anyone had a similar experience?? were they able to repair it?? I cant beleive it was a brand new laptop... 40M...

Happy Wanderer
    This might be a genuine insurance claim, depending on your deductable etc. Mind you, "small" claims can up your premium....

Guys?? This post should also be in the Lounge section.

Should have bought a mac!

I once poured a cup of coffee into my iBook (not on purpose!). Incredibly it survived unscathed after I ripped the battery out, and gave it a quick rinse. I did wind up having to replace the keyboard though...
    Memory loves time

My dad had this problem but with coffee.... 4 day later the laptop was working perfectly except he had to change the keyboard....

Also one day my cell phone went in water and I buy a new one.... 4 month later I plugged it back and it was working perfectly...

Wilko

Extended service agreement

I have an extended service agreement with my laptop vendor and I was told that they will fix ANYTHING for the next 3 years. I drop it on the floor? They fix it. I step on it, they fix it. Coffee in it, they fix it, etc. I was told this specifically. I never broke it, so I've never tested my service agreement.

They might very well fix it. Don't despair just yet.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronydr
    Brand new laptop.. just lost. I bought a new toshiba laptop just couple of months ago... yesterday, a cup of wine was spilled on it...It does not turn on anymore... i do have a garantee but obviously it doesnt cover liquid spillage...
    Let me ask you...."what the hell were you thinking drinking wine (or any beverage) near your laptop computer? This is a no-no!! (as i'm typing this, i have a bottle of Gatorhade next to my mouse...lol).

Unhappy wilco26?????????

Quote Originally Posted by wilko26
    My dad had this problem but with coffee.... 4 day later the laptop was working perfectly except he had to change the keyboard....

Also one day my cell phone went in water and I buy a new one.... 4 month later I plugged it back and it was working perfectly...

Wilko
    Uh oh, is Wilco26 my eleven yo son?????
    Memory loves time

Take it apart and spray it with electronic contact cleaner. The worst thing you can spill into a keyboard is anything with a high sugar content. Sugar is highly conductive and will bond to the circuits. If you're lucky a good cleaning will fix it. With a laptop, remove the battery before cleaning.