Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 year old kills instructor with an uzi.... American gun laws.

9 year old kills instructor with an uzi.... American gun laws.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/girl-nine-...202638510.html

First I am all in favor of being able to own a gun ( with restrictions ). I have had this discussion recently with an anti-gun friend of mine ( before above incident ). His claim is that we ( Canadians ) have no need for guns and no one he knows needs one ( IMO.. BAHAHAHA ) Tell that to the girl that was just raped in her home or to the home invasion victims ( Too bad they never knew my friend then it would not have happened ). I have been brought up around guns most of my life ( Target shooting and the odd bird shooting ) and see no reason for gun bans, why should only the criminals be able to have guns. The case above in letting the 9 year old fire an uzi makes no sense to me, my opinion but WTF were they thinking. Condolences to the instructors family and feel real bad for the girl, she will be messed up for a long time.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Banned
    Yeah it was amazing how quickly this happened, to let a 9 year old fire this type of weapon which was way to powerful for her to handle makes no sense. This girl could be messed up for life. She will need a lot of help to put this behind her. This was not this girl's fault in any,way, shape or form she did what any kid would do giving the opportunity. The blame squarely lies on the gun laws and the adults involved.

JJ

Veteran of Misadventures
    The instructor died for really no reason, and the girl is messed up for life. My father was telling me when he was in the US Army he was required to fire a .45 on the range and he could not believe the power of the recoil on that weapon. He said it went straight up to 12:00 noon after firing.

The recoil with an Uzi fired by a righthanded person would go in the exact position where this instructor was standing, so his positioning makes no sense to any of the experts who have analyzed the tape. Regardless of that, the parents should have had better things to do than have their 9 year old girl shoot an Uzi.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    America is a very sick society & sometimes i realize it's no wonder so many in the world (incl. Canadians) despise that arrogant country.

Banned
    Hello all,

As soon as I heard of this I thought, here comes another round of the same lines. Sure enough at work practically my boss' first impulse was to defend guns with "guns don't kill people, pdeople kill people". He wouldn't answer my question: so why give the means to the to the elements that does the killing? Personally I have nothing against guns and have owned one, fired others. My issue is the near total lack of any control as to who gets them. So let's get that out of the way.

Putting the forthcoming stale arguments aside for now, the conditions of the subject episode were insane. Professional trainers insist adults use both hands to hold any guns for control, accuracy, and recoil, and adults have trouble controlling weapons. So the parents thought their skinny 9-year-old girl should be allowed fire an assault weapon. NUTS!!! I question their competency to be parents. What kills me had the recoil killed the daughter the parents would be suing the hell out of whatever organization they could despite their own gross stupidity, but what about the family of the instructor?

On the other hand, though I feel sorry for the instructor and his family, I find it hard not to think about how insane his won choice was. I don't care what his job is or who he works for, if he was an experienced instructor he must have known the great risk it was to put a weapon like that in the hand of such a small-framed inexperienced child. The element of fact that he went through with it despite what was 100% obvious greatly diminishes any sympathy I have for him. When I went visiting in Florida with my then 11 and 8 year nephews there was an opportunity for them to fire some smaller arms...just for fun. My answer, not a damn chance, these are not toys.

One "pro-gun" activist belonging to some organization called this incident just a rare tragedy, though he was against the girl handling this Uzi. Yup, just a rare tragedy for those who have no stake. For the family........................

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Tee Nutz View Post
    Tell that to the girl that was just raped in her home or to the home invasion victims ( Too bad they never knew my friend then it would not have happened ).
    IF...she recognized the danger and had the gun in hand ready to react in time...probably. Even then using and firing a gun to deal with the threat takes mental control and some minimal skill. If the gun wasn't in a useful position at the moment of need it's only as useful as a toilet scrubber...one you also can't reach. A lot of people get the idea a gun in the house means being safe from harm by others. It's just hardware if it's not ready and in hand at the right moment.

Cheers,

Merlot

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
    If the gun wasn't in a useful position at the moment of need it's only as useful as a toilet scrubber...one you also can't reach. A lot of people get the idea a gun in the house means being safe from harm by others.
    " If " I thought I had a need for a hand gun in my house one would be in the bedroom, one on the main floor ( concealed but easy spot to reach ) and one in the basement concealed, having them in a locked case does you no good. And if I thought there was a need for a gun all people living there would be fully trained and told not to tell anyone that there even is a gun in the house. Not fool proof but what is?
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Back in 2008 a 8 year old Connecticut boy fatally shot himself in the head with an Uzi that recoiled. The video was shown to a jury and it is remarkably similar to what happened in this case, except that the 8 year old boy had both hands on the weapon and it recoiled straight up and he took a bullet in the head. Watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDgZueOX_so

Jury found the shooting range owner not guilty of involuntary manslaughter. The father of the kid is an ER doctor in Connecticut, not your typical gun nut. In the video the shooting instructor looks a bit like Doc Holliday.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    America is a very sick society & sometimes i realize it's no wonder so many in the world (incl. Canadians) despise that arrogant country.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian View Post
    Bump for this , Darwinism strikes again.

How many school shootings and incidents can happen with no changes to anything. I'd ban all civlians from owning guys, but at least get rid of assault weapons or anything that can fire semi or automatic, there is no rational need.

Here is a great investigative piece of the impact Australian has had since banning guns done by John Oliver, he makes some very apt points in a lot of his pieces.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOiOhxujsE

When he saw she was nine years old that should have been the end of it. When he saw how poorly she handled the single shot recoil he had a second chance to end it. The recoil pushed the barrel up to the left where his head was. Gun and driving instructors are not as bright as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkjonas View Post
    Bump for this , Darwinism strikes again.
    According to reports, the deceased was a father; he already reproduced.

Guns don't kill people uh uh
    Jon Lajoie kills people... with guns pow!

Most gun laws are established at the State level and vary widely. There are few federal gun laws that apply nationwide.

It is true that there are very few accidental gun fatalities. Stories like this one make the news because it is so absurd and defies common sense.

The girl's parents should take the most blame. Who would bring their likely 60 to 70 pound 9 year old to shoot an Uzi. What were they thinking? Bad parenting is everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    The instructor died for really no reason, and the girl is messed up for life. My father was telling me when he was in the US Army he was required to fire a .45 on the range and he could not believe the power of the recoil on that weapon. He said it went straight up to 12:00 noon after firing.

The recoil with an Uzi fired by a righthanded person would go in the exact position where this instructor was standing, so his positioning makes no sense to any of the experts who have analyzed the tape. Regardless of that, the parents should have had better things to do than have their 9 year old girl shoot an Uzi.
    actuall the .45 ACP has very little felt recoil. It is a low pressure round (compared to the .40 or .357, .44 10MM) and the 1911 that he was firing has a lot of mass and also the automatic action.

I have never fired an Uzi. I don't know why a 9 year old is firing an Uzi? About 5 or 6 years ago a kid fired one on full auto and shot himself in the jaw because the muzzle will rise (muzzle jump) as the gun is fired.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by hungry101 View Post
    actuall the .45 ACP has very little felt recoil. It is a low pressure round (compared to the .40 or .357, .44 10MM) and the 1911 that he was firing has a lot of mass and also the automatic action.
    My father was in the US army in 1960/1961. It is my understanding the modern .45s have antirecoil mechanisms that did not exist at that time. The M1 was the standard service rifle at that time (no longer is) and in basic training infantrymen were also taught to use a .45.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast