Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Who Should the next Canadiens Captain Be?

  1. #1

    Who Should the next Canadiens Captain Be?

    I'm kinda surprised a thread about this hasn't been posted already but who do you think the Habs next Captain should be?

    I thought about doing this as a poll but just say who you think should get the C and maybe mention those who should get the A as well.

    My Picks

    PK Subban should get the C IMO. He and Price are the face of this franchise now and due to his talent, ice time, contract and whathe did in the playoffs, warrants such status. He wants the soptlight. He wants to win. he wants his jersey to hang in the rafters in Montreal after he retires. He knows what it means to play in Montreal and can handle the pressure.

    As for alternates, Max Pacioretty should definitely get one. Much like PK, he enjoys playing in Montreal and everything that comes with it. Also locked up for awhile, he can hold that position for awhile

    Andrei Markov should be the other alternate, due to his veteran experience and the standing he has with his teammates. He was offered the captaincy a few years back, but turned it down, as it was not something he wanted but an A is something he is comfortable with.

    Three honourable mentions would be Tomas Plekanec, Brendan Gallagher and David Desharnais. Plekanec for his veteran experience, Gallagher for his grit and Desharnais for his ability to recover from an awful start and step up when he has needed to. Of those 3, I'd want Gallagher to have it, but any would be good choices.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Top of the mountain
    Posts
    959
    Max should get the C ! We need an offensif captain who can score . The habs have to be disciplined to go through the season , the D is too young . Markov is getting hold but can give a good example to Tinordi and Pk . The other A should go to Pk because he likes to be center of attention and can take more of the media attention . Gallagher is the new Claude Lemieux and should get the other A because how goes Gally how goes the team .... We have three good center and if Pleki disappear in the playoff we need him to go through the season.
    Max for captain ! Pk will be captain we he gets very old
    GOHABSGO

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by marc7 View Post
    Max should get the C ! We need an offensif captain who can score . The habs have to be disciplined to go through the season , the D is too young . Markov is getting hold but can give a good example to Tinordi and Pk . The other A should go to Pk because he likes to be center of attention and can take more of the media attention . Gallagher is the new Claude Lemieux and should get the other A because how goes Gally how goes the team .... We have three good center and if Pleki disappear in the playoff we need him to go through the season.
    Max for captain ! Pk will be captain we he gets very old
    I see what you are saying but my expectation of a Captain, particularly one who is a star player, is that they step up in crunch time. Granted, Pacioretty had 11 game winning goals in the regular season but disappeared in the playoffs (though personally I think he was battling an injury of some kind). Past captains like Maurice and Henri Richard and guys in today's game like Toews and Doughty are their best when the spotlight shines the brightest. PK showed he could make big plays at big moments in a game, particularly in the Boston series. I think being the team Captain will hinder Pacioretty's production, as he will focus more on what it means to be Captain while Subban will use the pressure to fuel him.

  4. #4
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,169
    How about Markov? He has been with the team 15 years now and yet there is no love for him? Why not?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Top of the mountain
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    How about Markov? He has been with the team 15 years now and yet there is no love for him? Why not?
    Markov is old and getting slower ... Plekanec also could be a leader but is not playoff material or to be more specific is not going to score big goals in big playoff games but is going to kill the best enemy trio.
    The captaincy of the glorious is tricky , you never go down a rank when your captain so you get traded. I prefer see Paccio traded in 6 , 7 years than Pk in 5 years . In short term yes it looks good to see Subban captain but we also have too look further away. Also Pacciorety could become captain of team hockey America .
    I love Markov but I think he as two more years of hockey in him .
    GOHABSGO

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Top of the mountain
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Beliveau4 View Post
    I see what you are saying but my expectation of a Captain, particularly one who is a star player, is that they step up in crunch time. Granted, Pacioretty had 11 game winning goals in the regular season but disappeared in the playoffs (though personally I think he was battling an injury of some kind).
    I believe too That Paccoretty was injured too but he had also to play agaisnt the best trio and defense their adversary . Also i hope that P.A Parenteau makes a good difference in the first trio and the putting Gally With galcheniuk and with whom ever ... thats a big hole there .
    GOHABSGO

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by marc7 View Post
    I believe too That Paccoretty was injured too but he had also to play agaisnt the best trio and defense their adversary . Also i hope that P.A Parenteau makes a good difference in the first trio and the putting Gally With galcheniuk and with whom ever ... thats a big hole there .
    Didn't PK have to go up against team's top lines at least some of the time? He didn't have it easy and he still rose up

    I do think Parenteau will make a difference and is an upgrade on Gionta and should play on the top line with Patches and Desharnais. Eller should centre Galchenyk and gallagher although Galchenyk could swich off with Eller as well as both can play centre and the wing. They are the future of the franchise and need to develop chemistry.

    The lines I'd like to see would be as follows

    First Line: Desharnais/Pacioretty/Parenteau

    Second Line: Eller/Gallagher/Galchenyk

    Third Line: Plekanec/Bourque/Weise

    Fourth Line: Malholtra/Bournival/Prust

    Moen is the 13th forward. Bounival and Weise will probably move up on down from the third and fourth lines, depending on how they play.

    Defence should look something like this

    First Pair: Subban/Weaver

    Second Pair: Markov/Emelin

    Third Pair: Beaulieu/Gilbert

    Tinordi is probably the 7th defenceman, though I don't have a lot of faith in Gilbert (weird signing) so I hope he either proves me wrong or Tinordi steps up and takes the job.

  8. #8
    I guess the Habs went with option "No C" in regards to the vacated captaincy. Looks like a good long term decision, as it looks like management is looking for either Patches or PK to distinguish themselves in order to name the next captain.

  9. #9
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,827
    The two real leaders on the team over the past 4 seasons were Brian Gionta & Josh Gorges. Gionta was told to get lost so he signed with the Buffalo, and they admitted they made a mistake by overpaying Gorges so they traded him.

    By not having those two players on board, they were able to give Pernell Subban the $9 million per season multiyear contract he demanded i order to remain in Mtl or else he'd bolt to Toronto (where he lives during the off-season & does work for Sportsnet) once he'd become UFA.

    So now the habs decided to name a record 4 assistant captains (assistants to whom) for this season.

    I couldn't help but chuckle when i heard this.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pothole City
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    So now the habs decided to name a record 4 assistant captains (assistants to whom) for this season.

    I couldn't help but chuckle when i heard this.
    Wow! It took the HABS organization the whole summer to come to this decision!....4...4...4 assistant captains....give me a break!
    Assistant captains to each other...it will be a riot to laugh at if all 4 are on the ice at the same time!

    I vote for YOUPPI!

  11. #11
    november
    Guest
    Good move by Montreal ,it gives more time to the young guys to develop and shows respect to the veterans. They did not want to make the same mistake as Ottawa last year.

  12. #12
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,827
    Question: What do 29 NHL teams have that the Habs don't have?

    Answer: A captain.

  13. #13
    THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    So now the habs decided to name a record 4 assistant captains (assistants to whom) for this season.
    Actually the "A" stands for associate captain not assistant.

    All I know is that this year's Habs' captain will be as useful, respected, and feared as the Leafs' captain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The hockey game most enjoyed by Canadians from coast to coast since 1972.

  14. #14
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,827
    Quote Originally Posted by G1GBallday View Post
    Actually the "A" stands for associate captain not assistant.
    Wrong. The ''A" stands for 'alternate' captain, but some media reports yesterday used the term 'assistant' captain in their coverage and that's why i used it in my post. Most people also refer to them as 'assistant' captains.

  15. #15
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,827
    Quote Originally Posted by G1GBallday View Post

    All I know is that this year's Habs' captain will be as useful, respected, and feared as the Leafs' captain.
    Wrong again. The Habs announced yesterday that they will not have a captain this season.

    And by the way, no one is afraid of Markov, Plekanec, Subban or Paccioretty. Are u kidding me?

    p.s. Classy user title. I'm surprised you're even still allowed to have an avatar. Do you send FZ money every year to have one? Mod 8 is no longer around, by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •