Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a quilt..

Banned

Question Looking for a quilt..

I'm looking for a quality quilt/blanket with a soft cotton cover filled with goose down and thin for a 'warm season' although I intend to use it in the winter.

I've been looking for one for over a year. I've checked IKEA and Linen Chest and they both have a goose down quilt but I find it too thick and warm. I've also checked a few smaller stores but no luck..

I'm looking to spend within 300$. Thanks for any insights!

Carla

Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Carla
    I'm looking for a quality quilt/blanket with a soft cotton cover filled with goose down and thin for a 'warm season' although I intend to use it in the winter.

I've been looking for one for over a year. I've checked IKEA and Linen Chest and they both have a goose down quilt but I find it too thick and warm. I've also checked a few smaller stores but no luck..

I'm looking to spend within 300$. Thanks for any insights!

Carla
    Try arts and crafts shows,church bazaars,artisanants outlets etc.You may have success talking to the quilt makers who would be willing to make one to your specifications.

Banned
    Thanks.. although it sounds complicated.
    C.

Try Simons

Hi Carla,

You could also try Simons as they usually have very good service and the section manager may even be able to tell you what items will arrive in the next weeks. You may even be able to do this by phone.

Good luck,
    Cadmium99

Smile Pick up the phone and dial...

LL Bean in Freeport, Maine. Ask them to ship you a catalog. The current winter catalog has exactly the kind of quilt you are talking about for just about the price you are hoping to pay. LL Bean products are world reknowned for their quality and money back guarantee for (almost) any reason. Stay warm!

Banned
    Thanks, I'll try them!
    C.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Carla-

www.llbean.com

Click on "Home and Outdoor Living", then "Quilts".

They are one of the greatest mail order companies in the USA. I buy all my coats, shoes, jeans, casual and dress shirts from them via phone or email order. The quality of their products, especially their clothes, is very good.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 09-24-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Carla,

Page 184 of the LL Bean Christmas Catalog has several Box-Stitch Goose Down Comforters and Permabaffle Box Goose Down Comforters which I don't see on the website. I would call them and ask them to send you the Winter and Christmas Catalogs.

US/Canadian Online Ordering

LLBean is one of the few US catalog outlets that ship to Canada, as many retailers do not offer this option to Canadian customers because of the extra cost and hassle of customs brokerage fees.

This is an ongoing issue for the Canadian market. Canadian retailers have not embraced online ordering to the extent that American retailers have. Canadians who wish to order online often have to do so from US retailers, and paying hefty costs in customs brokerage and duties. There are programs like BorderFree which offer cost reductions for both US retailers and Canadian customers, and more US retailers are using BorderFree.

I ran into this problem when I thought of ordering online from Canadian retailers for items that I did not want to cross the border with. Unfortunately, I found a very noticeable absence of Canadian retailers from online ordering, and only the major US catalog outlets are willing to ship to Canada.

But of course, this is material for another thread at another time ...

I suspect that nobody understood what Carla is looking for Please allow me to be the first to volunteer for whatever she has in mind

Want to take a shopping trip?

If you are so inclined, go to North Conway, NH where there is no sales tax. There are plenty of places to stay for cheap and some good restaurants/bars to entertain yourself at. A fun overnight trip for you and some friends. If you share expenses the savings can be worthwhile. There is a large LL Bean outlet there and many more well known outlets where you can purchase pretty much anything you are looking for. I do all my Christmas shopping there and save hundreds in sales tax. Not sure what they will make you pay at the border in customs, probably better check that out first.

Banned
    Thanks EB, I'll order the catalog, seems like the easiest way..

Tasmanian Devil, I have no idea what you are talking about..

HonestAbe, thank you too but I don't drive.. I have very few friends who drive and they are not the kind of people to drive me wherever I want or go for a 'shopping party' in some obscure place.. It sounds like a nice idea though!

Last call, does anyone know a good quilt shop in Montreal? Although LL Bean sounds like a good option I would prefer to feel the material with my hands. Most of them are unfortunately crispy and don't breeze although they claim to be 100% cotton.. I'm looking for soft high quality cotton that feels rather like a bed sheet than cellophane.

Thanks to all,
    Carla

Carla, I think that you will have problems finding what you are looking for. Goose down is primarily used in duvets, not quilts, and these are meant to be used in a duvet cover which can be made of various fabrics. Goose down is extremely fine and would find its way out of a soft, thin, cotton fabric. This is why the duvet is usually made of a thicker cotton material. Find a thin duvet and then choose a cover that meets your needs.

Banned
    Techman, a quilt or duvet, yes it is something I would want to use in an additional satin cover. They have almost exactly what I want in both IKEA and Linen Chest but whatever they have what they call a 'quilt' is too thick. They don't have a variety of thickness. Their quilts are filled with goose down and enclosed in a very soft thick cotton material that I really like.

Years ago they had a quilt I want in Linen Chest and my father has it. He is still using his quilt and I don't want to take it away from him. I want to find something similar..

At the same time they have plenty of duck or goose down quilts but the cover is too 'crispy'. This crispy cover is much cheaper and lower quality.. and it doesn't breeze through so it makes the quilt hot anyway..

You probably lost me. I'm really surprised people don't mind sleeping underneath crispy quilts. For some reason all good products on the market tend to be discontinued, like my laptop for example.

I'm going to have to check out the LL Bean catalog and try to guess whether the material is soft or crispy..

Carla

Veteran of Misadventures
    Carla,

LL Bean has a very liberal return & refund policy, and if you don't like what you get you can return it and get a refund. Their Customer Service is the best - they guarantee their products 100%. When you get the catalog, what you may want to do is call up the LL Bean Rep, tell them exactly what you just mentioned in the post above, and determine whether their quilts fit your criteria.

By the ways, if you have an LL Bean Visa Credit Card and make your order with it, shipping costs are waived and shipping & handling is free. I order all my merchandise from them with my LL Bean Card, for this reason. I am not sure if the no shipping charge policy applies for shipments to Canada, though.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 09-25-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast