Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM Stephen Harper Calls By-Elections in Ontario and Alberta Ridings.

PM Stephen Harper Calls By-Elections in Ontario and Alberta Ridings.

Well considering how angry so many of us about Bill C-36, I really do hope that the Conservatives do not win these seats. Perhaps if they don't it will give him something to ponder. I know a lot of people support him and honestly I didn't have anything against him until now, but I don't follow politics much either. I am however not happy with how he has handled this whole Bill C-36 issue.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle21075851/

Original Dude
    I can't stand Harper, to me he look like the caricature of what i dislike, pretty much like a british aristocrate that think he is too good to walk among peasants. I mean its rare i dislike people only by look and how they speak, i am overall a very open dude and i don't judge on first look, but him, i just can't his face, i can't stand to hear him talk, especially with his bad french(you would think by now he would know how to speak properly in french like Mulcaire) and well his party represent everything i dislike anyway...

Everything that is "conservative" means it goes against progressive, wich should be the general norm. No really i don't really care if the liberals or NPD get elected, but as long as its not conservative i will be happy... hate so badly this party...
    Life is a party ! Death is the Hangover.. 70-49-6

Quote Originally Posted by Halloween Mike View Post
    No really i don't really care if the liberals or NPD get elected, but as long as its not conservative i will be happy... hate so badly this party...
    So you do not like the Conservatives because of how Harper looks and talks?
    The Conservatives brought down our deficit shortly after a huge world wide recession, in the Conservative provinces things are going pretty good and they are setting up trade partnership with Europe and China which will bring in billions.... With the Liberals you will see higher taxes, criminals out on the street sooner and legalised pot..... Good choice... I will not mention the NDP ( Burk ).
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Original Dude
    Have you never met someone who's face just didn't please you? Wel thats how i feel about him. But if he was good in every other aspect i would get over it. But the thing is NOT. I don't care about deficit, i don't care about trade partnership, those are not things that touch me personally. And yes i do want legalized pot, even tough i don't smoke, because thats the freaking logic thing to do. All i see is the conservative side of there party, as in there C-36 Bill and wanting to prevent a country to evolve.

What can i say, i don't like them, period lol. I got to say the next part in french to say exactly what i think...

Harper ces comme un vieu aristocrat qui pete plus haut que le trou, genre on en vois parfois de meme dans les films, bref je sais pas, je l'aime pas... ces toute, peu rien faire contre sa. J'adhere jamais a ce qu ils proposent anyway.

(you would think by now he would know how to speak properly in french like Mulcaire)
    Why would you think that? Mulcair is a Quebecer; it's not surprising he speaks French. Mr Harper is from Toronto and has spent much of his adult life in Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Tee Nutz View Post
    So you do not like the Conservatives because of how Harper looks and talks?
    There will always be low-information voters who vote on the basis of how someone looks or talks or whether or not they "like" someone they have never met. You see this on both sides as well. I've encountered many people who oppose Trudeau because he was born into a life of privilege and never had to work a day in his life (not that he hasn't worked; but he doesn't work out of obligation to survive); others simply don't like his hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline Grace View Post
    Well considering how angry so many of us about Bill C-36, I really do hope that the Conservatives do not win these seats. Perhaps if they don't it will give him something to ponder.
    98% of the voting population doesn't know what C-36 is and if they did, they don't care. If an opposition candidate ran on an anti-C-36 platform and won, that would send a message, but I doubt that C-36 will be uttered by any candidates in these campaigns. On these boards people wax apoplectic over C-36, but the rest of the country simply doesn't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhenrygalt View Post
    98% of the voting population doesn't know what C-36 is and if they did, they don't care. If an opposition candidate ran on an anti-C-36 platform and won, that would send a message, but I doubt that C-36 will be uttered by any candidates in these campaigns. On these boards people wax apoplectic over C-36, but the rest of the country simply doesn't give a shit.
    A lot of people may not give a shit about Bill C-36, but they may give a shit about their Charter of Rights and Freedoms being contravened, and about the tactics the government uses to get what they want. There are a lot of issues that people are not happy about, so if you can bring awareness, and build support, then perhaps there is enough that can be done to make changes.... but if we just sit back and accept it, then there really is no hope of anything being any different.

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Hi all

Maybe Canada should do like many Democratic Countries and have limitations of mandates .
    Running for a fourth mandate would not be issue at the moment !
    Whatever the accomplishment of any individuals power corrupts the minds, it is a fact of life .
    Our great neighbors understands that why don't we ?

Cheers

Booker

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline Grace View Post
    A lot of people may not give a shit about Bill C-36, but they may give a shit about their Charter of Rights and Freedoms being contravened, and about the tactics the government uses to get what they want. There are a lot of issues that people are not happy about, so if you can bring awareness, and build support, then perhaps there is enough that can be done to make changes.... but if we just sit back and accept it, then there really is no hope of anything being any different.

I always get the impression when it comes to Harper that when people complain about the horrible things he does and how he must be turfed, really they are saying they don't like his politics and if someone from the left was doing the same thing they would be OK with it. The reverse also applies, I am sure if Obama was a republican than democrats would be harping on about his birth certificate and other issues.

Much like how those who are for proportional representation other first past the post tend not to mind FPTP when it helps the NDP. I mentioned that to one dipper I knew and she told me I was cynical. Really cynical. When it comes to politics you can't be cynical enough.

Next election if I do vote [normally I don't] it will have to be for Harper. Sure C36 crimanlized my only sexual outlet but we all learned enough from the US about the dangers of electing the idiot son and Justin more than fits that profile. The NDP just isn't an option. Voting for a union party to deal with public sector unions is not only nuts would would be self harming to the point of self loathing. Also they just don't understand economics, if you are going to increase the size of government there is the right way to do it and the wrong way and the NDP are usually keen on doing it the wrong way.

If that TFSA doesn't get doubled I'll probably stay home.

Original Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhenrygalt View Post
    Why would you think that? Mulcair is a Quebecer; it's not surprising he speaks French. Mr Harper is from Toronto and has spent much of his adult life in Calgary.
    Mulcaire is an anglophone, he does have a bit of accent in french, but at least he speak it nicely. All and all, i think the head of a party is something very important to me. I don't vote for my local deputy, i vote for the head, thats the mistake lots of people make. They vote because they like the dude next door(there deputy), wich in the end matter not that much, especially for small villages.

I am a true independantist, i support the view of the partie quebecois, yet during Pauline Marois run i could never vote for them, as i couldn't stand the party leader.

The NPD had a very charismastic leader in Jack Layton, he literally look like what we call in french "un bon jack" , and i think Mulcaire have been filling his shoes pretty good. I can't say i agree with everything the NPD does, but at least they look like good people to me.

When it comes to Trudeau im mixed, i will wait to see if he can rebuild the party as people expect him to do. I like parts of him, but other parts look arrogant. Ignatief had no charisma, no wonder why the party failed badly under him.

In any case, im very hard to please in term of politics, im still waiting for a party that would cover all my opinions. I never understood those people going at meeting clapping and screaming for the chief of the party, like groupies at metal concert, if a party cover 50% of my views and opinions, they do extremely well for me imagine...

My phylosophie is always to vote for the less absurd and "best" of the 3, but it never mean i support them that much...

Oh and to get by on Harper's accent, after speaking so much in french for all these years, its like Van Damme with english, i don't understand how his accent can still be that thick... I seen actors and singers speak better french than him, and they where born in the states...

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Tee Nutz View Post
    they are setting up trade partnership with Europe and China which will bring in billions.... With the Liberals you will see higher taxes, criminals out on the street sooner and legalised pot..... Good choice... I will not mention the NDP ( Burk ).
    And you forgot the huge prestige Canada gained all over the world with our foreign affairs and environmental policies! You have just listed all the reasons why I hate Harper. Lowering taxes for the rich, appeals to emotions about criminals on the streets while criminality is lower than ever, only increasing within the richer class of our society, protected by his government and invading privacy on victimless "crimes" like smoking pot and consensual paid sex.

im still waiting for a party that would cover all my opinions.
    Be prepared to wait forever. Unless you yourself become the leader, you'll never find a leader in sync with all your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by wasisname View Post
    I always get the impression when it comes to Harper that when people complain about the horrible things he does and how he must be turfed, really they are saying they don't like his politics and if someone from the left was doing the same thing they would be OK with it.
    That's what's really funny. In terms of fiscal and economic policy, Mulroney, Chretien, Martin and Harper have all been following the same policy traced out by the professionals in the civil service.

Original Dude
    lol ok everything is impossible, i know. For that i would need to be the sole king(yeah king and not first minister) of the country lol.

I was speaking methaforically. Like i undrstand not agreeing on everything, but sometimes even the party i support the most really make me cringe badly, thats why i question those "fanboys" of political parties... how can they be on agreeing with everything and all...

thats why i question those "fanboys" of political parties... how can they be on agreeing with everything and all...
    Most don't agree on everything, but men discovered centuries ago that to accomplish anything in politics one cannot do it alone. You have to be part of a team (i.e. party). You have to build broad support. You have to appeal to a wide number of people all of whom have different opinions. Politics is a team sport and like any team sport, each team has its fans. Some men cheer when their favourite football team, made up of men whom they don't know and have never met, scores a touchdown. Other men cheer when their candidate or party wins an election or goes up a couple points in the polls. It's the same thing, although it's a little more rational to be cheering for one's favourite candidate than cheering a bunch of men who play ball, football or hockey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast