Thread: Sports !what do you consider the most prestigious award ?

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic

Sports !what do you consider the most prestigious award ?

Sportsman and Sportswoman

What is the most prestigious award in sports for you ?or combination of awards ?

Cheers

Booker

Retired veteran hobbyist
    The Masters.

The award must fulfill two criteria: It must be competitively international in scope, and prestigiously sought after:

The World Cup of Soccer!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Wimbledon.

I consider individual awards more prestigious than 'team' awards since it's all up to that particular individual, while many floaters and non-performers get their names on a trophy or award in a team sport.

The World Cup!

No need to mention the sport, everyone knows what we're talking about!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by dude79 View Post
    The World Cup!

No need to mention the sport, everyone knows what we're talking about!
    Most people on this side of the Atlantic can't remember who even won this year's World Cup. What they do remember is that the Americans had a very good tournament.

Soccer is a South American/European thing. The large majority of North American sports fans don't really give a damn about soccer. It's unfortunate, but not surprising considering all the corruption involved with the sport....and the all the faking, of course.

Read the great book "The Fix" by Declan Hill and you'll wind up having a different take about the 'sport' of soccer. I dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Most people on this side of the Atlantic can't remember who even won this year's World Cup. What they do remember is that the Americans had a very good tournament.

Soccer is a South American/European thing. The large majority of North American sports fans don't really give a damn about soccer. It's unfortunate, but not surprising considering all the corruption involved with the sport....and the all the faking, of course.

Read the great book "The Fix" by Declan Hill and you'll wind up having a different take about the 'sport' of soccer. I dare you.

Pardon?

I beg to differ, yes the usa is not big in soccer but it made a long way in the last 10 years.

So really, if you go to a remote village anywhere in the world and ask what is the most prestigious cup, it's the World Cup and most probably you'll hear about ze Germans destroying Brazil 7-1 ;-)

If the rest of the world can name one or two North American sports teams, that would actually be surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

I am somewhat disappointed by your comment Doc....North America is very egocentric! The US still has not figured what they erroneously have dubbed the sport as "soccer"...No wonder Brits and the French can't stand Americans!

In fact, on the flip-side...the same can be said about Europeans and the rest of the world who don't give a damn about a bunch of out-of-shape slobs walking around the bases playing Baseball!

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    bunch of out-of-shape slobs walking around the bases playing Baseball!
    Aren't the Cubans and Japanese also excelling in the bunch of slobs game?

Play ball

Booker

Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    The US still has not figured what they erroneously have dubbed the sport as "soccer"...
    Nonsense and bullshit.

The game was dubbed "soccer" by the British over a century ago. With a variety of competing codes and laws, sometimes varying from school to school and team to team, an association was formed in the 19th Century to codify the laws of the game. The "football association" was formed and the game they played was called "association football", which was shortened to "soccer". There is no American influence in the etymology of "soccer".

MLB MVP NL or AL
    "I'll do what I can to help y'all. But, the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."