Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nba - 2014-2016

Nba - 2014-2016

General impressions? Any favorite team to win it all?

Toronto Raptors off to a great start (6-1) on top of the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference!

Looks like Brooklyn may finish ahead of the Knicks for a second consecutive season!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Raptors now lead the league along with Memphis at 7-1. What's surprising about this is that it's not as much of a surprise this year since they had a pretty good season last year and this year's team is even better. It's a very well balanced team with a good mix of toughness & skill players. They have very good chemistry and the guys seem to care for one another. It's also a very well coached team and the fan support has been incredible. It definitely has to be considered among the top NBA franchises around.

What i am surprised is how much the Knicks have sucked. I expected better things from them this year. Cleveland is pretty much what i thought they'd be. I don't know why some people expected them to be a championship-type calibre team just because of a couple of players (James and Love). They'll be a good team, but not the best team in the conference.

The Lakers are struggling and Steve Nash's season-ending back injury hasn't helped matters. The Raptors realize today that the best thing that has happened to the franchise was Nash refusing to sign with them two years ago. He hasn't played much since.

The worse team in the league has to be Philadelphia, who are in full team rebuilding mode.

Big game coming up for the Raptors against the very strong Chicago Bulls. The Raptors easily beat Atlanta and Washington, who are both contenders in the East. It should be interesting how they match up against Chicago.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Although Toronto and Memphis are off to great starts, neither one is a serious championship contender. This is because neither team has high level star players. They are simply good teams that will make the playoffs and flame out before the finals.

San Antonio is the team to beat if they can keep Duncan, Parker and Ginobli healthy through the playoffs. The past few years this has been a very well coached, deep team that does not play those veteran players a lot of minutes and keeps them fresh and healthy for the playoffs. If you notice when they have back to back games they will rest certain players and they don't care what the results are, especially at the end of the season. This keeps the team very fresh for the playoffs. We shall see if it works again and they keep everyone healthy.

I consider Golden State a dangerous team once they get David Lee back, because they have the best backcourt in the NBA and maybe the two best shooting guards in NBA history in Curry and Thompson.

In the east the top two teams are Chicago and Cleveland. One of those two teams will likely make the finals.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    Although Toronto and Memphis are off to great starts, neither one is a serious championship contender. This is because neither team has high level star players. They are simply good teams that will make the playoffs and flame out before the finals.
    I say 'poppycock' on that statement. Demar Derozan & Kyle Lowry are both high level players.....two bonafide all-stars. They have a great supporting cast with the likes of Jonas Valenciunas, Amir johnson, Lou Williams, Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson, James Johnson, Tyler Hanesbrough, Grevis Vasquez & others.

They have, in my opinion, one of the best coaches in the league in Dwayne Casey, and one of the best GMs in Masai Ujuri.

San Antonio is a very good team & George Karl is a great coach. But they're an old team. Oaklahoma City is a very good team if Durant is at the top of his game & not injured. Memphis has a good team, but i'm not sure they can maintain their current pace. Miami is still a very good team even without Lebron. The Lakers are average, same thing with Brooklyn, Chicago is very good and the Knicks are downright awful.....they suck donkey balls!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Genie Bouchard was at the Raptors game last night. On top of being interviewed at courtside while the game was going on, she participated in the halftime activities with the team mascot. Beautiful woman!

Veteran of Misadventures
    Toronto Raptors are a playoff team but they have no shot at making the NBA finals. Chicago and Cleveland will be deciding that spot from the east. Charlotte might actually have a better team than Toronto. Toronto does not have any players who have championship pedigree or mettle. They need to sign or acquire such a player, preferably a bone fide scoring forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Beautiful woman!
    Absolutely

Best Regards

Smuler
    Savoir Faire Is Everywhere !!!

Trying one day to be " In the Know "

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    Toronto Raptors are a playoff team but they have no shot at making the NBA finals. Chicago and Cleveland will be deciding that spot from the east. Charlotte might actually have a better team than Toronto. Toronto does not have any players who have championship pedigree or mettle. They need to sign or acquire such a player, preferably a bone fide scoring forward.
    Which players do Chicago & Charlotte have who possess 'championship pedigree or mettle'???

p.s. I can't see Cleveland passing the first round of the playoffs unless they make a big trade. You need more than Lebron or Kevin Love to win the conference. Chicago may do it, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors finish with a better record than they have. I can't see Charlotte making much of a run. I consider Atlanta and Washington better than Charlotte.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Two huge wins by the Raptors! First they beat Lebron's Cavs in Cleveland, then last night they beat the Suns! The Raptors are now tied with the Memphis Grizzlies (whom they recently defeated) for the NBA lead with a record of 12-2!! Yeah, baby!

It's almost halfway into the NBA season, and the TORONTO RAPTORS...YES!...THE TORONTO RAPTORS...NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE TORONTO MAPLE LAUGHS...A TEAM IN CANADA IS HAVING A BREAKTHROUGH SEASON...

Is anyone in CANADA noticing???...Is it just me and Doc Holiday???...Or are Canadians brains permafrosted only on Hockey???

I know that if Genie Bouchard had kicked off the pro season, I'd be horny as hell all year!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    I believe all of Canada has noticed, Sharkman. It seems that everywhere they go, there are many Raptors fans in the arena, especially in the border cities such as Detroit and Portland. Many were at the Knicks & Nets games also a few weeks ago.

What is even more astonishing is the fact they've continued to win despite their best player (Demar DeRozan) missing the past month due to a serious groin injury. Is there now any doubt that Kyle Lowry is the MVP of this team? He's played absolutely fantastic!!

But this is a team that likes to share the ball & share the scoring. They're a team that seems to like one another and the team comes first. Every single player on this team has had an impact in one form or another and as long as they remain fairly healthy, there is no reason to doubt that success won't continue.

DeRozan practiced with the team yesterday and it shouldn't be long before he's back. The best part about this winning streak is the fact it allowed DeRozan time to heal and to allow him to come back only when his injury will be fully healed.

Now the big question is: Should the Raptors make any trades in order to improve the team? Personally, i say no. I love the current chemisty on the team and i fear that any trade they might make may alter the team's chemistry.

Tonight, they face one of the best teams in basketball, the Golden State Warriors. They should have beat Portland the other night, and i'm hoping they'll take that loss as a lesson in order to build for the upcoming playoffs. Go Raptors!!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Until last night, i wasn't aware that the Golden State Warriors were the top team in the NBA. After watching last night's game against Toronto, now i know why. I don't remember the last time i've seen a team with such a powerful offense. Wow! It seemed like every single player on that team can shoot the three-pointer on a regular basis!!

And former Toronto resident Stephen Curry is an absolutely amazing player!!! Wow!!!

With last night's loss, the Atlanta Hawks have now surpassed the Raptors in the standings. The good news is that Demar DeRozan is very close to returning.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Will Kyle Lowry be named (as he well should) to the all-star team?

Rumors are flying that he may be named to the team tomorrow while his team will be in his hometown Philadelphia to play the Sixers.

If he's not named to the team, no big deal. He needs a rest. The team has slumped lately & i attribute most of it to fatigue. Star player DeMar DeRozan is finally back after missing over 20 games and his presence in the lineup will surely be a boost until the end of the season.

Go Raptors!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Congratulations to the great Kyle Lowry for being named as a starter to the upcoming all-star game. A very well-deserved honor!

On a slightly different note, the great Kobe Bryant is expected to miss the rest of the regular season due to a torn rotator cuff.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    NBA trade deadline: potential Raptors targets

Sitting on second place in the Eastern Conference with a 36-17 record, the Toronto Raptors are enjoying the best season in franchise history. But given the current roster makeup, are they good enough to make a deep playoff run?

This has to be the question going through Masai Ujiri’s mind as tomorrow’s NBA Trade Deadline creeps ever closer.

With the Raptors’ success owed at least in part to a weak conference and great team chemistry, Ujiri finds himself in an awfully difficult position. Particularly while working with a roster that still obvious needs—a rim-protecting big and a confident and consistent three-and-D wing—with expectations for the club at an all-time high.

So, does Ujiri pull the trigger and make a move for short-term gain or stick with the guys he has? Earlier this week, Grantland’s Zach Lowe reported that the Raptors are listening to offers involving Terrence Ross. Ujiri countered that claim Tuesday night, telling Sportsnet’s Michael Grange, “I would be shocked if we did something with Terrence.” But the spectre of a shake up will continue to loom until 3 p.m. tomorrow.

With all this in mind, here are five players the Raptors have been linked to in the lead up to the deadline.

David West

The most prominent name connected to the Raptors in the Grantland piece, West would be an intriguing add, bringing grit, toughness and a little extra offensive punch to Toronto’s frontcourt.

As good a player as West is, though, he would come at a significant price. The Pacers forward has a $12.6-million player option for next season that he’s unlikely to opt out of given his age. Not to mention, he wouldn’t solve the Raptors’ need for a shot-blocker as he’s more of a positional defender than rim-protector, a description that fits just about every big already on the Raptors’ roster.

Kenneth Faried

Most recently reported by Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders, the Raptors have apparently expressed interest in acquiring Kenneth Faried from the Denver Nuggets.

The Nuggets are looking to blow things up. As such, they’ve made pretty much everyone on their roster available, including Faried, despite signing him to a huge extension (that will kick in next season) back in October.

It’s understandable that the Raptors would be interested in Faried. He was originally drafted by Ujiri and his rebounding prowess could immensely improve Toronto’s bottom-third ranking on the glass.

The issue with him is that five-year, $60-million contract extension—a commitment the Raptors would take on, rendering the prospects of re-signing Lou Williams extremely difficult in the off-season. And that doesn’t take into account the positional conflict adding Faried would cause, as he can really only play the power forward spot on the floor.

Kevin Garnett

Garnett was also identified as a potential Raptors target in Lowe’s report.

A sexy name for sure, but at this stage in his career Garnett is nowhere close to the enforcer he once was, while also lacking the lateral quickness needed to defend the pick-and-roll—a fact the Raptors exploited in last season’s playoff series.

Intriguing, yes, but adding Garnett just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for the Raptors.

Taj Gibson

Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders reported the Raptors’ interest in West a few weeks ago, but the more intriguing name mentioned was that of Bulls big Taj Gibson. This came from a Sporting News report citing frustration on Gibson’s part stemming from a lack of playing time in Chicago.

From Toronto’s perspective, a deal involving Gibson would be absolute money. He’s the rim-protector the Raptors need and likely wouldn’t disrupt chemistry too much as he and DeRozan were college teammates at USC.

If you’re the Bulls, however, things aren’t quite so rosy. Gibson is locked up for another two seasons, so he figures to be a key part of Chicago’s championship window. He’s also just too good a player for the Bulls to give up for anything the Raptors have on offer—apart from maybe the 2016 first-round pick they acquired from the Knicks in the Andrea Bargnani trade.

Nicolas Batum

According to Chris Sheridan of Sheridan Hoops, Ujiri has coveted Blazers do-everything man Nicolas Batum for a long time and would give up just about anything to land him.

Batum has struggled this season after off-season wrist surgery, putting up career-lows almost all the way across the board. Still, when he’s healthy, he’s an incredible jack-of-all-trades who can really play defence and would be a clear upgrade over Ross.

Potential Raptors targets at upcoming trade deadline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast