Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupidity Suspensions?

Veteran of Misadventures

Stupidity Suspensions?

I have noticed that 4 posters were suspended in the last two weeks for posting in the Advertisers section. Since it clearly states "Paid Advertisers Only" in those forums, can we say that these posters have been suspended for sheer stupidity?

I am guessing that the Advertisers get irritated and annoyed with this stupidity and then contact and bug the Mods, who probably would never be seeing it otherwise.

I think everyone needs to let the Paid Advertisers advertise, it's just dumb to interfere with that process. By the way I don't know which paid advertisers had their threads interfered with, I am just reacting to the Mod updates in the suspension thread.

Veteran of Misadventures
    I see 4 suspensions in the last 2 weeks and none before that. The Mods just started reading the Advertisers section in the last 2 weeks? It doesn't compute. I am guessing maybe the suspensions are due to advertiser complaints and maybe to deter the advertisers from having posters help them out. Either way it says paid advertisers only posting in that forum.

It's sort of like not taking a shit on the sidewalk. You should know not to do it.

Banned
    Hmmm,

I doubt it's the advertisers complaining. I don't think the posts were offensive to the advertisers, so it comes down to being strict on policy, which is the mods option. Some of those who posted in this section were new and probably got carried away with something they saw that interested them and forgot the rules or perhaps weren't clear on the rules. Certainly one I'm getting to know a bit is neither "stupid" nor controversial. MaxxxEdge seems like a very steady standup guy.

Can I ask, what is the point or value of making a thread to say some acted stupid anyway? It seems like middle school snickering. What's the need here?

truly,

Merlot

Veteran of Misadventures
    Stirring shit again Merlot? I already commented on the reasons why I started this thread. Until 2 weeks ago I never saw suspensions for posting in the Advertisers thread and I assumed it was because it's like taking a shit on the sidewalk. Most people know not to do it because it says "paid advertisers only." I am kind of interested to hear from the Mods about it. If it's so accidental why is there suddenly a bunch of suspensions? Maybe it's the Mods who think they are stupid. Did that even occur to you? Did you see the question mark in the thread title or did your lust to stir shit overwhelm you again?

I also tend to think Mods would warn newbies before suspending. If Mod warnings were not heeded I would think that they would think that to be stupid.

Well I sent you a PM regarding this since two of those suspensions came on my ad.

From memory the guys were asking for pictures, posting about pictures or I think it's just a slip of the mind to post in the ad forgetting that they can't.
    This used to happen in ads before and mods would delete the post and no suspension was made.

Same has happened for when guys have posted CL links in the 411. The mod would edit the link - no suspension.
    Same has happened when guys have posted details of incall locations in review threads. Mods would edit the location in the review and no one was suspended.

All that is happening is rather than Mods editing the post with no suspension - they are handing out suspensions. I think it's a good policy to start to enforce as it is a reminder of things for older posters and new guys. Not to mention it also reminds us advertisers that they ARE checking our ads and making sure they are compliant with Fred's new rules.
    I'd rather have an over protective Dad like Fred/Mods with the upcoming legal changes. I am very happy to see them be proactive than reactive to the changes and showing it through menial mistakes that are silly suspensions - while they suck - it shows that things are taken seriously on all levels of the board.

Anyway. I am trying to avoid posting in the lounge but considering my thread was implicated in said suspensions I thought I would add my non inflammatory comment

Lily from Montreal
    It happened before (like months ago) in my adds but since only the poster can de-post (!) , I wrote to the merbite for him to remove his post to avoid a suspension but he was not fast enough...
    It is actually a good thing that the mistakes are erased fast as it act as a deterrent...Posting in the wrong sections (411 in forum or in reviews ) is my pet peeves...

Veteran of Misadventures
    Mitsou,

That sounds very plausible but if true, would not a warning of such enforcement action have been made? You are right I don't recall it being enforced in the past.

I guess the fact of the suspensions is in and of itself a warning. I got that part but there was no other mention of a change in policy mentioned. And I agree it's a good policy, but not one I saw before and just curious as to what led to it. Nothing else except curiosity about it. I thought maybe the newer Mods saw this as taking a shit on the sidewalk and felt they had to remind people not to do it.

My take is that Mods want to remind us advertisers that they have an eye on our ads as per Fred's changes. I read the board while away from it so my sense has been in the last month that there are no more warnings, no more quiet edits, just straight out short suspension.
    I mean it did get your attention right You check who got suspended and why. It's a tap on the wrist from the mod to make it a mre public display of punishment as a reminder to us all that Fred and the mods are being active to enforce the rules.

I felt badly for the 2 posters since their post was barely visible for an hour and it wasn't on purpose. That is a lesson to us all and I would say you bringing notice to it by creating this thread is a further reminder.

I should note that when I was approved to make an ad that Fred reminded me to check the new guidelines and I PM'd both Mods to make sure I was within the rules. If not I wanted to make the changes before the post being deleted.

Merb is the ONLY website for ads that has made any changes to their server, guidelines and create a place for all of us to be as safe I guess as possible. Fred does it for himself but eliminating GFE details really benefits all of us when the new law comes into place

Lily from Montreal
    Actually not the only one but each sites are adjusting differently: on some it is still ok to put prices as it is for companionship but no acronyms...on other they go to such extremes at to be useless asa advertising venue as the adds cannot: ''have acronyms,prices,description of services and photos are to be dressed'' ,even a back view photo wearing lingerie will get a warning (!)...so yes the Merb adjustments are minors and workable....

We did not get complaints/feedbacks/candies from advertisers.
    We're like cops having our donuts waiting in our cars having enough of stupid drivers in the school drop off zone driving like nuts. So we just had enough, we just fine a bunch and see what happens.. And now just want to sit on our asses enjoying our coffees.
    But wait we're busy in our back seats.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod 9 View Post
    We're like cops having our donuts waiting in our cars having enough of stupid drivers in the school drop off zone driving like nuts. So we just had enough, we just fine a bunch and see what happens...
    So they were stupidity suspensions after all.

Thanks for the explanation Mod 9.

At one time it was common and accepted to post in the ad section. Maybe some don't realize the rules have changed. It is however irresistible sometimes to not want to post in the ad section as I find myself tempted at times. Its unusual to give someone a suspension without giving a warning first as I notice those banned are all one time offenses. Perhaps the membership is not seen as a valuable commodity to the Mods as they have no financial stake in this board. They should ask the the board owner what he feels about such behavior by the Mods.

Eagerbeaver, when you say "stupidity suspensions" are you referring to stupid actions of the Mods or the Members ? Really, you shouldn't be calling anyone "stupid", its immature and an arrogant statement on your part. Lets not forget, you are the one who locked himself out of his hotel room in your underwear. Sometimes we make mistakes, its not because of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    So they were stupidity suspensions after all.

Thanks for the explanation Mod 9.
    You should know better EG ! A law or rule is useless if not applied ! The mods have to once in a while make their weight felt. And I do agree with you that it should have been a warning to these gentlemen who where to eager to post I the advertising section .
    GOHABSGO

Lily from Montreal
    I beg to differ shyguy (I cannot believe I am defending EB lol) ,there is a reason they created the Darwin awards,sheer stupidity is a fact of life...

Quote Originally Posted by LilyForYou View Post
    I beg to differ shyguy (I cannot believe I am defending EB lol) ,there is a reason they created the Darwin awards,sheer stupidity is a fact of life...
    Lilyforyou,

Are you calling certain members , "stupid" ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast