Thread: Joe Cocker R.I.P.

Proudly Liberal
    Eastern Canada

Joe Cocker R.I.P.

LOS ANGELES - Joe Cocker, the British singer who had numerous hits in the 1970s and '80s including a barrel-throated rendition of "With a Little Help From My Friends," has died, according to BBC News. He was 70.

Cocker died of an undisclosed illness, his agent Barrie Marshall, told BBC News.

Cocker was known for his raspy-bluesy style and the physical effort he put into performing -- a style famously spoofed on "Saturday Night Live" by John Belushi.

Cocker scored a No. 1 hit in 1982 with "Up Where We Belong," a duet with Jennifer Warnes that was featured as the theme song to the film "An Officer and a Gentleman." The song won the Oscar for writers Jack Nitzsche, Buffy Sainte-Marie and Will Jennings.

A native of Sheffield, Cocker got his start singing in local pubs before he hit as a recording artist in 1969 with the gospel-flavored take on the Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends." He teamed with producer Leon Russell the following year for a massive U.S. tour with a huge band that yielded the successful double album "Mad Dogs and Englishmen."

Cocker played his last concert in June 2013 at London's Hammersmith Odeon, which came on the heels of a successful tour of Europe, Marshall told BBC News.

Visiting Planet Earth

One of the very unique talents that music ever produced. I always enjoyed listening to his songs and that soulful raspy sound. I still get a huge kick out of that sexy favorite...You Can Leave Your Hat On

God Bless you and keep you Joe.

Rest In Peace,

I guess You Are So Beautiful is his greatest hit but Joe's version of A Little Help From My Friends is by far the best. I remember the Saturday Night Live skit.
    RIP Joe Cocker

RIP Joe Cocker.

BTW ... his passing, while tragic, was a great way to smoke out all of 60+ yr. old MERBites....!

Holi Fuk, another one bites the dust...