Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are The Patriots Now The Greatest NFL Dynasty Of All Time?

It's a whole new ballgame

Are The Patriots Now The Greatest NFL Dynasty Of All Time?

The answer would depend on what time period you consider. If you consider a period of less than twelve years, then the answer is yes. If you are looking for a longer time period, the answer is the 49ers. In any case, when considering dynasties, there are only two possible answers: Patriots and 49ers. All this according to Nate Silver.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/p...t-of-all-time/

"New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area idolizing Joe Montana, Steve Young and the San Francisco 49ers. Now, after winning his fourth Super Bowl on Sunday, Brady has helped the Patriots cement their place alongside the 49ers among the top NFL dynasties of all time.

Whether the Patriots or the 49ers rank as the top modern NFL dynasty depends on the length of the period you consider. In the chart below, I’ve measured the top franchises over periods ranging from one year to 25 years.1 Rankings are based on a team’s average Elo rating at the end of each season. (We’ve calculated Elo ratings back to the AFL-NFL merger year of 1970, so great teams before that — like the Green Bay Packers of the 1960s — are not considered.)

•The Patriots rate as having the best five- and six-year runs;
    •The 49ers have the best seven- and eight-year stretches;
    •The Patriots then overtake the Niners as the best dynasty for periods of nine through 12 years;
    •But the 49ers win again for periods of 13 years and longer."
    The mounties always get their man.

RF, you clearly wrote "of all time" in the heading!...otherwise this might be embarrassing and a real joke!...and it's not even close!

Green Bay Packers..... 5 Championships in 7 years...God bless the soul of Joe Lombardi!!!!!keep dreaming Belichick and Brady..........
    San Francisco 49ers....5 Super Bowls, and never lost a Super Bowl....Joe Montana and Bill Walsh...George Seifert.
    New England Patriots... a distant 3rd!....4 time Super Bowl winners but 3 time Super Bowl Losers.....Dynasties don't lose Super Bowls...and they don't eke out wins in the Super Bowl on the last play...they win convincingly!!!!!

of all time? no. but for the cap era, they're the greatest. i still consider the 49ers to be the greatest

Sometimes, the sky is a different color in other people's worlds

Thanks for putting things in prosper perspective Sharkman

Best Regards

Smuler
    Savoir Faire Is Everywhere !!!

Trying one day to be " In the Know "

Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    RF, you clearly wrote "of all time" in the heading!...otherwise this might be embarrassing and a real joke!...and it's not even close!
    Note that I copied Silver's headline; it's not mine. Note that he also said, as I quoted, "(We’ve calculated Elo ratings back to the AFL-NFL merger year of 1970, so great teams before that — like the Green Bay Packers of the 1960s — are not considered.)"

Much as the modern era in baseball began with the inception of the American League in 1901, the modern era in football began with the merger. Lombardi's Packers dominated, for most of his era, a league of 14. Dominating a league of 30 is a horse of a different color. Personally, I have no opinion on this and am simply sharing the words and work of Nate Silver, a master statistician.

Yes, the sky is a different color in "other people's worlds." Methinks the poor stoner's eyes are blackened with hatred and all he sees is darkness. Poor thing. The life of a troll is a grim one indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    •The Patriots rate as having the best five- and six-year runs;
    The Steelers have four (4) Super Bowl wins in six (6) years.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhenrygalt View Post
    The Steelers have four (4) Super Bowl wins in six (6) years.
    Read the article. Silver considers their performance in the years they did not win as well as the ones they did. Did they make the playoffs? How deep did they go? Using the parameters Silver set up, the Pats overall five and six year runs were better than that of the Steelers.

Again, I'm not defending this study, just sharing it. I will say that I (and a zillion other people) have great respect for the body of Silver's work.

Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskiin View Post
    Much as the modern era in baseball began with the inception of the American League in 1901, the modern era in football began with the merger. Lombardi's Packers dominated, for most of his era, a league of 14.
    Football is football no matter what era....same with hockey in the era of 6 teams...if we have to make exceptions for different eras then we might as well take away 10 Stanley Cups from the Montreal Canadiens!

Don't get me wrong I like the Patriots (however, the 49ers are my team)...and I am ecstatic they won the Super Bowl yesterday...
    Notwithstanding, Nate Silver's question "Are the Patriots but the greatest football dynasty of all time" infers that they are...and that is way too presumptuous!

if we have to make exceptions for different eras then we might as well take away 10 Stanley Cups from the Montreal Canadiens!
    And leave the poor Leafs with none whatsoever. Now we wouldn't want to do that now, would we.

Notwithstanding, Nate Silver's question "Are the Patriots but the greatest football dynasty of all time" infers that they are...and that is way too presumptuous!
    I can't say that I disagree with you. I suppose Silver's headline should have been worded differently.

Hahahah!!!!, absolutely hilarious thread rumples, leave it to you to start a thread as absurd as this one.

-The 49ers(Montana, Young, Walsh, Seifert, etc) are all universally well respected and liked, same goes with the Steelers and Packers, no cheating convictions, accusations, controversies etc with these well respected, legendary teams, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.t View Post
    Hahahah!!!!, absolutely hilarious thread rumples, leave it to you to start a thread as absurd as this one.
    Methinks he's trying to inflate the importance of second place again

GB and SF rule.

Best Regards

Smuler

Green Bay Packers..... 5 Championships in 7 years...God bless the soul of Joe Lombardi!!!!!keep dreaming Belichick and Brady..........
    San Francisco 49ers....5 Super Bowls, and never lost a Super Bowl....Joe Montana and Bill Walsh...George Seifert.
    Is Joe a nickname for Vince?
    Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction) English, motherfu*ker, do you speak it?

Typical Yankee fan in the Merb Sports Section!! Bwwaahh.

Joe was his confirmation name SK

Best Regards
    Smuler

BOYZZZ!

Exactly and me being a honest football fan, I can admit Dallas had a nice run in the 90's (and were a dynasty) but nowhere near what GB and SF were, those 2 teams are at the top and for the patriots to come close they would need to win another SB (or 2 more likely) in the next few years.

(smuler, check the private group)
    Quote Originally Posted by smuler View Post
    Methinks he's trying to inflate the importance of second place again
    GB and SF rule.
    Best Regards
    Smuler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast