Thread: Need ideas for a restaurant in or near Old Montreal

Relocated

Need ideas for a restaurant in or near Old Montreal

I am in search of a restaurant that will serve drinks and appetizers or tapas (we won't be having a full meal) in or near Old Montreal. Most importantly it needs to be discreet - preferably small, not bright, on the intimate side. Definitely not somewhere popular and trendy.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Is this for day, night, weekend. Some places are available in the after noon 2:00-4:00 but not during meal times.

Relocated
    Monday night around 9 pm.

november
    What about Gibby's, it should be quiet Monday night. And intimate not to bright. Good appetizers ,drinks and valet parking.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    I had thought about Gibby's, but didn't find it intimate enough.

Maybe Da Emma would be a better choice.

None other but Restaurant Helena on McGill...given that you mentioned tapas!

They are open weeknights! Should be quiet and discreet enough on a Monday night - given as well that the artic cold -25 degrees outside will discourage clients to go out.

http://www.restauranthelena.com/home

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post

They are open weeknights! Should be quiet and discreet enough on a Monday night - given as well that the artic cold -25 degrees outside will discourage clients to go out.
    Over a decade ago, i used to stay in Old Montreal whenever i'd travel to the city during the cold months. The hotels & and rooms were nice n' cozy, but boy was the location depressing! Old Montreal almost appeared deserted during the winter months & whenever i'd go out to eat (i liked going to Giorgio's at the time), it would almost feel like i was the only person around!

Don't get me wrong. I really like Old Montreal. But during the summer months only.

I've never heard of Restaurant Helena, but i'll add it to my list. Thanks.

Helena is a really good choice

Nero is pretty good
    Baroco is really good
    Best new resto imho is bon vivant but it's not very sexy

Bemused...
    Monday 9pm, there should be lots of places that are relatively deserted. As someone who regularly travels and eats late in visited cities, it's always been my observation Monday nights are the slowest restaurant night there is, everywhere. None of my options are tapas-focused, but they have apps.

L'Orignal is in a relatively obscure quiet corner of Old City. The food is good, and I've been there a few times on a Monday night at 9 or 10pm, where it's very low-key. Haven't been since the fall though. I've definitely seen client-SP -looking dates here, so I guess others think it's discreet, too (?).

The Vieux Port Steakhouse is typically fairly empty, especially once you go in off-peak-hours. And the second floor is generally out of the line-of-sight of passer-by's. Dark interior, relatively low ceilings, conversations are muffled and don't carry through the dining room. Food is not great, but decent. Sorta like hiding out in the open, with its location.

Le Bourlingueur has a back room that is hidden from sight. The restaurant is almost always empty for dinner service. More lunch than dinner is my impression. Small cozy restaurant. Food is simple, but well done. Bad bread, but the apps are good, and it's relatively cheaply priced for Old Port. Ceilings are high, though, so if you're loud...

`I enjoy the Old Port area and happen to know one of the families that own several rests and hotels in the area. I am attaching a link that might give you some ideas in that area. Just below the first picture there is a list of all the hotels and rests they have in the area. Good luck , I wish it was me you were meeting Monday

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/mee.../antonopoulos/
    " You actually get to choose your friends, family.........well..."

Relocated
    Thanks so much everyone for your input. Unfortunately my client cancelled so I don't need this info right away, but I am certain it will come in handy for the future.

Doggyluver, I'm free Monday, lol!

http://atelierargentine.com/blog/arg...t-of-montreal/

There is an Argentinian steakhouse I would love to try called LeChop. They are having a special till Feb 28th.