Thread: The illicit economy

The illicit economy

An article on Slate says that the illicit economy (drugs and sex mostly) of Italy allegedly represents 1% of their overall economy. Almost 0.5 to 1% for some other countries.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...e_part_of.html

I would not be surprised if it was at least that for the greater Montreal area.

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Montreal is known as a crime hub for all sorts !

Cheers

Booker

If you really count every transaction that involves some crime, it must be way over 1%. Like all the dirty tricks politicians and big companies are doing all the time.

For prostitution I'm not even sure we can talk about illicit economy. In most western countries (including Italy) it is not a crime to buy and sell. It is usually a crime to communicate in public, or to be a pimp, etc but the transaction itself is often not illegal. On the other hands you have some government that spends billions to buy fighter jets without following the legal bidding process. This is also a legal transaction done in a somewhat illicit way, not much different from the case of prostitution.
    “Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love.”

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Siocnarf View Post
    For prostitution I'm not even sure we can talk about illicit economy. .
    This is actually a very complicated subject and the answer is not that clear !
    Their is the criminal part of it or non criminal part however you describe it !
    And their is the civil part of it in which someone would acquire wealth through it would be subject like any other tax payer to the net worth factor !

If it doesn't CRA or its Quebec version will exercise seizure of assets .

At the end its what you can keep that counts

Good luck all

Cheers

Booker

Yes it was big in the past, but slowly it is going away.

With cameras everywhere these days aren't you afraid to take or give money under the table?

Quote Originally Posted by Siocnarf View Post
    If you really count every transaction that involves some crime, it must be way over 1%. Like all the dirty tricks politicians and big companies are doing all the time.

For prostitution I'm not even sure we can talk about illicit economy. In most western countries (including Italy) it is not a crime to buy and sell. It is usually a crime to communicate in public, or to be a pimp, etc but the transaction itself is often not illegal. On the other hands you have some government that spends billions to buy fighter jets without following the legal bidding process. This is also a legal transaction done in a somewhat illicit way, not much different from the case of prostitution.
    My impression was that it is illegal in Italy. My co-workers in Italy and my customers told me "We a got the pope a." They go to Rio and Germany. They said that If I get caught trying to pick up one of the Romanian girls (and some Russian) that are hanging out on the streets that they will impound my vehicle and give me a 500$ fine. They said they fine the girls but the girls never pay. This was a few years back like 2012k...Oh, and I saw a few anyway LOL! They were too hot.

They make it tough in Quebec to do home renovations with friends paying with beer and BBQ. My neighbour got caught doing this and received a fine, this can not be done here because you are supposed to pay anyone helping you a set rate... WTF happened to the long weekend BBQ, beer and garage building?
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol Tee Nutz View Post
    They make it tough in Quebec to do home renovations with friends paying with beer and BBQ. My neighbour got caught doing this and received a fine, this can not be done here because you are supposed to pay anyone helping you a set rate... WTF happened to the long weekend BBQ, beer and garage building?
    Hello STN

Where did the fine come from ?
    Did he have a renovation permit?
    Was he respecting building code ?
    The fine is not necessarily link to payment !

Cheers

Booker

Quote Originally Posted by hungry101 View Post
    My impression was that it is illegal in Italy.
    My understanding is that it is not a crime in Italy, but street prostitution is a municipal offense. You get a ticket and car impounded, but no criminal record. Like with our old laws, the selling/buying itself is not illegal. Just illegal to communicate it in the streets. So, the ''economic'' part of this economy is not illegal.
    “Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love.”

Quote Originally Posted by BookerL View Post
    Where did the fine come from ?
    I will quiz him when I get back, I mentioned that a friend of mine was going to come and help me build an extension on my house and he told me about the fine. This was 2 years ago.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.