Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best currency exchange near hotel espresso?

Best currency exchange near hotel espresso?

Can anyone recommend which exchange would be best within walking distance of the hotel espresso on rue guy? Thanks!

Just go east on nSt Catherine street there are many of them, just be careful at their fees, or go to a bank

Do you know any in particular that have a good low fee?

Quote Originally Posted by cpp433 View Post
    Do you know any in particular that have a good low fee?

Aviya Forex at 1970, rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest
    Montréal, QC H3H 1M4

They exchange USD at less than 2% from the spot. And they charge 0 fees.

Always the best place to exchange.

Banned
    Hello all,

I have to disagree. I've been to many currency exchanges in Montreal over the years including the one near the Espresso. The most consistently good rate and least expensive is the Calforex at 1230 rue Peel just yards (is it south or east) from rue Ste Catherine. I always go there unless time and distance is an issue.

Good luck,

Merlot

Banned
    Hello Sexadict,

I don't remember that at all. I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a very small fee at the place I suggest, and the fee is easily made up for by better exchange rates I find there.

Curious and just to be sure I called the Peel station at 514-392-9100 (1230, rue Peel, Montréal, QC H3B 2T6) a moment ago and spoke to the person. He began in French and I greeted him that way, but to make sure there was no misunderstanding we spoke in English. According to him there is a charge of $3.50 ($3,50) and absolutely no other fees. Before I called I would have said it was a $4.00 fee only.

Cheers,

Merlot

The Calforex fee is $3.50, thats it, a good friend of mine went there last week and that is all it was, he said he took $1400 American and got $1730 and some change back after that fee. Not bad, he got $330 of FREE money and used it to see an SP for an hour and a night out with friends.

It's a whole new ballgame
    Calforex charges $3.50 plus 2%. Bank ATMs charge $2.50-$2.75 plus nothing. Iggy's friend would have gotten $1750 from ATMs, but he'd have had to visit three times as most limit you to $500 per day.
    The mounties always get their man.

Rumps - went there twice last week. There is a 3.50$ fee. I was not charged 2% unless they give 2% below prime? Last trip they gave me 1.23. I remember that the September trip I was looking at all the currancy exchanges and Calforex gave the best rate by a few %. Since I was carrying US currency the last two visits the Calforex worked out to be the best deal for me.

I believe that there is a hefty cash advance fee on my credit cards. I typically will only take out cash advances on my business card (for legit business). It creates a real headache. My other CC charges a hefty interest rate for a cash advance. If there were some special card that you can recommend I would consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry101 View Post
    Rumps - went there twice last week. There is a 3.50$ fee. I was not charged 2% unless they give 2% below prime? Last trip they gave me 1.23.
    The last time the exchange rate was $1.23 was mid-January. When you were in Montreal last week, the rate was within a hair of $1.25. I might have been slightly off; Calforex might clip as little as 1.5%,c certainly no less.

I remember that the September trip I was looking at all the currancy exchanges and Calforex gave the best rate by a few %. Since I was carrying US currency the last two visits the Calforex worked out to be the best deal for me.
    If you're carrying US currency, Calforex is really the only way to go. You DO NOT want to exchange cash at a bank.

I believe that there is a hefty cash advance fee on my credit cards.
    I would never use a credit card for a cash advance for the very reason you mention. I use the debit card attached to my checking account. They charge me $1.00 and I get the exact international rate.

There is a rational for using Calforex. The saving you'd get by using your debit card would be eaten up by the fees on the $500 daily limit if you're looking for $3,000 or more. Even for $2,000, the $5-$10 you'd gain by using your ATM card wouldn't justify the extra trips to the bank. (In my case, however, since I live in the Plateau, Calforex would mean a trip downtown. I walk by the bank every day so hauling out $500 at a clip does make more sense.)

(BTW, Hungry, you really should try to be in town for the next MOJO party. They have nearly as many girls working today as that other agency has on their rapidly shrinking roster. And what a roster they have.)

OK, thanks. I just wanted to know if I was missing something.

I would like to see Mojo's roster. the problem is getting there. And then I need to session that night too.

We had a lot of fun at the GG7 party. It got a little carried away. even for me.

Banned
    Gentlemen,

There is a 3.50$ fee. I was not charged 2%...
    I spoke directly to the attendant at the Calforex on the phone as described in post 6. The charge according to him is $3.50 and nothing else. That matches with many first hand experiences of my own.

I used a bank once in an emergency kind of situation but it was for a cash advance, not a good option because of the obvious heavy rate costs. It was also a ponderous process doing it in Canada instead of at home in the U.S..

If there are better options than Calforex I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Merlot

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
    I spoke directly to the attendant at the Calforex on the phone as described in post 6. The charge according to him is $3.50 and nothing else. That matches with many first hand experiences of my own.
    The attendant clearly doesn't know what they are charging, obviously. Then again, I wouldn't expect the attendant to know how they calculate the rates.

To test them out, I took $2000 to Calforex a few months back. After exchanging, I walked to a bank, stuck in my ATM card and collected $500. I then took a look at the exchange rate on my phone. At the bank, I got the same rate as on my phone. At Calforex, I got 1.5% less.

Here's something for you to try. Walk into Calforex. Give them $1000. Take the Canadian money they give you and give it back to them and ask for US dollars. You should now have $994, your original $1000 less the $3.50 Canadian service charge. You won't. What you will have is about $965, having been trimmed for 1.5% on each transaction.

If you are pulling out $1,000.00 cash ( other legit stuff on debit ) is there that much of a difference to go out of your way?
    Same people who line up for a $0.03 cent a litre gas sale and buy 60 liters and save $1.80?
    Convenience is worth something.
    Just a question on how much you really save.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Bingo!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sol tee nutz View Post
    if you are pulling out $1,000.00 cash ( other legit stuff on debit ) is there that much of a difference to go out of your way?
    Same people who line up for a $0.03 cent a litre gas sale and buy 60 liters and save $1.80?
    Convenience is worth something.
    Just a question on how much you really save.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast