View Poll Results: What do you think of the new NHL?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it

30 63.83%
  • Hate it

0 0%
  • Too early to tell

11 23.40%
  • Don't know, I can't see over all those guys sitting in the penalty box

6 12.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New NHL

The New NHL

What do you think of the new NHL?

I like the fact that they moved the blue lines, and it definitely looks faster out there. Speed seems to have taken over the game. But there are times when it feels like I'm watching an all-star game, shinny hockey with the defence just standing around watching. Way too many penalties, too. I guess they have to work the kinks out, but I think they are moving in the right direction.

Well I like the fact that they are actually PLAYING hockey this year! I hate it that they removed the red line, I really hate it that you can't clear anyone from in front of the net anymore (little guys just standing there all night sucks) which creates boring goals aka screen shots from the point.

I really don't know yet, the pace seems to have picked up and I do like the fact that they are calling more open ice obstruction, also I'm glad they brought back the tag up offside rule.

A few more quick comments:

Visors - Let the players decide

New NHL ad campaign - Terrible!

New Reebok practice shirts - Almost as bad as the ad campaign

Shootouts - No thanks, fun to watch but an awful way to loose (there is nothing wrong with a tie)

Redline - It is not a decoration, use it! (I know I mentioned this earlier but it really bugs me)

Spin

Tired of cheap shots and gratuitous violence.

The league absolutely has to do something about the goon problem. IMHO Hockey kills its chances at being more mainstream when they allow headhunting and retaliation which begets more retaliation and more headhunting....Kids don't need to see this and good parents don't wan't them to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by spin
    Visors - Let the players decide
    Spin
    While I believe in freedom of choice, I think there is too much money invested in players for owners not to try to protect that investment. I don't know what is the best solution but players should have some penalties if they get injured by something that should have been prevented with a visor.

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestAbe
    The league absolutely has to do something about the goon problem. IMHO Hockey kills its chances at being more mainstream when they allow headhunting and retaliation which begets more retaliation and more headhunting....Kids don't need to see this and good parents don't wan't them to see it.
    True, but i think the product looks much better this year with the new rules in place. I don't notice the goons as much, and the tempo seems to have picked quite significantly .
    fml

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by steak
    While I believe in freedom of choice, I think there is too much money invested in players for owners not to try to protect that investment. I don't know what is the best solution but players should have some penalties if they get injured by something that should have been prevented with a visor.
    The only way that could work is by making the visor mandatory, otherwise it's the player's choice, together with the implicit approval of his bosses .
    fml

proud infidel
    Seeing that the elimination of the red line seems to be working quite fine, i'm now wondering whether each blue line is really necessary
    fml

Fuck Models Love Stripper Uncle Kracker's Avatar
    I voted, Too Early To Tell... Because right now I'm just happy hockey's back...
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
    - Dean Martin

I watch hockey as an excuse to go to a pub to drink
    However, I like the new NHL. Simply based on the fact that they are letting players to skate and play.
    And about those defencemen standing there doing nothing (like all star games)? well, it's about time that some defencemen should learn how to stake and play instead of being big and knows how to hit people.

proud infidel
    The problem of violence used to come mainly from forwards, regular players bent on being physical and goons alike. Defencemen, on the other hand, aside from maybe a few like Scot Stevens, haven't been hitting anything for over 20 years, probably too busy trying to move 200 + pound players away from the front of the net or wrestling with them for the puck along the boards. Normand Rochefort, back in the 80s, who played for the Nords and Rangers, was particularly known for his vicious hits whenever a guy held his head down too long .

fml

just my .2
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 10-26-2005 at 01:03 PM.
    fml

Coaches used to tell us as early as I can remember that if you are going to skate with head down you are going to get hit - and you deserve it!

C'mon guys this is hockey remember not basketball - I'm going to rant a little here so bare with me.

I am sick and tired of hearing fair weather hockey fans talking about how to make the game appeal to the "mainstream" american television audience. If you continue to change the game to appease people who don't watch it, the next thing you know NOBODY WILL BE WATCHING ANYMORE! you will end up changing it so much that even hardcore, toque wearing, learned to skate at 18 months (yes without anyone holding me up, and yes before I could really talk) won't watch it. I mean some people won't be happy until the game is reduced to ONLY SHOOTOUTS - MOST GOALS WINS!

For example I don't like soccer, I never have. I don't have anything against the sport it's just not for me, so you could make 1000 rule changes to the game of soccer over the winter (reduce the field/add people/play with a neon wiffle ball/make the nets bigger/make the nets smaller) it won't matter I still won't be a soccer fan.

I think the NHL should be content with the fan base it has and make all changes and/or attempts at making the game better geared toward pleasing it's existing fan base.

There is nothing wrong with hitting, there is nothing wrong with fighting (yes there is no room for guys who can only fight) but if two guys like Lecavalier and Iginla decide to drop them and go at each THAT IS PART OF THE GAME!

Thanks I feel much better now
    Last edited by spin; 10-26-2005 at 01:59 PM.

spin

.....well said except for one thing.......If I was a head coach gm or even owner of a team I would not like to see the guys Im paying xx amount of millions to score goals and help my team win drop the gloves break a head and be out for xx amount of months......when the goon that im still paying for x amount of millions is sitting on the bench playing with himself........I do agree that if the goon has no hockey skills there is no place for him......but if he's got some let him do his job.

have a nice day
    Wolfman
    DTA

agreed wolfman.

New rules

Personally, I stopped watching hockey games (I still watch the news highlights) after the previous strike/lockout (93-94 season). The product is too watered down (IMHO).
    I much prefer playing than watching (gotta love oldtimer hockey).
    Remember, hockey like all things in life must, and does evolve. Rule changes happen (good and bad) and will change again.
    We all lament and fondly remember the ‘Game’ as it was played in our respective youths. This is a relative thing. Ask a real oldster and he will remind you that the centre red was only introduced in 1949.
    One oldster keeps telling me that a goalie is just a defenceman with him brains knock out.
    As a player you complain, adjust and continue to play the sport you love.
    By all means keep complaining about the things you fell passionate about. It is the only way to effect change.
    Just keep smiling...it keeps them guessing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast