Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airlines from Montreal to Europe

Airlines from Montreal to Europe

I know KLM, British Air, Swiss Air and Lufthansa and the best, but does any body have good experineces with others like Air Algerie, Air Transat, Air Morocco etc?. What are some of the best deals price-wise for Fall if anybody knows...??

Had a real comfortable flight with Vienna Airlines a couple of years ago!
    I had good experiences with Air France as well even though I found the cabin to be a bit on the warmer side, nice to have complimentary wine and port with dinner in economy class... come to think of it maybe that's what was making me warm

Don't fly with aAir Morroco it's one of the worst! Air France is pretty great, great service, great food, complimentary beverages. I was a bit dissapointed with Air Transat. If you have the option between transat and France, pick France.

Correct Ita

I have flown Lufthansa many times. The Germans are the most punctual society
    The best airline mentioned so far, for sure

Most airlines are either Star Alliance or One World

I noticed that Air Berlin is One World
    New aircraft/ great prices/ solid balance sheet

Norwegian Air is another up and comer...

Best Regards

Smuler
    Savoir Faire Is Everywhere !!!

Trying one day to be " In the Know "

Quote Originally Posted by smuler View Post
    Correct Ita

I have flown Lufthansa many times. The Germans are the most punctual society
    The best airline mentioned so far, for sure

Most airlines are either Star Alliance or One World

I noticed that Air Berlin is One World
    New aircraft/ great prices/ solid balance sheet

Norwegian Air is another up and comer...

Best Regards

Smuler
    I looked at Air Berlin (flies from Toronto) and Norwegian Air (from Florida-Vegas to Europe). It would be nice if they would add Montreal as an origin too. Europe has so many cheap Airlines..Alas not so in North America.

Nothing but good to say about Lufthansa. All good experiences.

Banned
    I used to be fairly sharped on that subject, as I used to work for Air Canada...

Prices: usually they are all fairly competitive (scheduled airlines), unless their sales are not on target... charter airlines may have a different price structure...
    Fleet, quality, services and punctuality: I believe that is where you will see the biggest differences, scheduled airlines do offer a better value. Air Transat are good to serve 5 foot, 100 pounds customer only, more than that you will go crazy on a transatlantic flight. Scheduled airlines are part of a large alliances... Lufthansa, KLM do carry an excellent reputation... I had terrible experiences with Air France when I used to live in France but overall it is a good company, Air Canada can be great but not constantly... Swiss (Swissair used to be among the best) are under Lufthansa's umbrella, Sabena (long time gone), TAP (are they still in business), Iberia (I do not think that they still fly from Montreal), same with Alitalia, LOT... Why would I fly an Middle-East airlines if I go to Europe (their prices are usually not better, I did look at Emirates once, hoping to find better prices and it was not the case)... Very competitive market...
    Offer: There are more international airlines from Toronto than Montreal... Thank you very much for the federal government when they built Mirabel instead of enlarging Dorval, and at the same authorizing international to fly to Toronto... Best moves in the 60ies-70ies... The effects will never be reversible...

And if you have to make a connection, make sure it is in the country you reside in

Easier if you are delayed/cancelled

Better to be in Toronto than in a foreign country IMHO

Best Regards

Smuler

Swiss sold some planes to Lufthansa and they used to fly a 40 seat BUSINESS ONLY flight out of EWR years ago to Germany

Those were the days !

Best Regards

Smuler

TAP is still in business and I have had a lot of success flying them. Courteous service, good food, and great availability of seats using United Airlines award miles. But a person would need to connect in Newark if flying from Montreal, and with only one flight a day from Newark to Europe, it poses misconnection risk in New Jersey (not a touristy place).

Quote Originally Posted by grenouilleforever View Post
    I used to be fairly sharped on that subject, as I used to work for Air Canada...

Prices: usually they are all fairly competitive (scheduled airlines), unless their sales are not on target... charter airlines may have a different price structure...
    Fleet, quality, services and punctuality: I believe that is where you will see the biggest differences, scheduled airlines do offer a better value. Air Transat are good to serve 5 foot, 100 pounds customer only, more than that you will go crazy on a transatlantic flight. Scheduled airlines are part of a large alliances... Lufthansa, KLM do carry an excellent reputation... I had terrible experiences with Air France when I used to live in France but overall it is a good company, Air Canada can be great but not constantly... Swiss (Swissair used to be among the best) are under Lufthansa's umbrella, Sabena (long time gone), TAP (are they still in business), Iberia (I do not think that they still fly from Montreal), same with Alitalia, LOT... Why would I fly an Middle-East airlines if I go to Europe (their prices are usually not better, I did look at Emirates once, hoping to find better prices and it was not the case)... Very competitive market...
    Offer: There are more international airlines from Toronto than Montreal... Thank you very much for the federal government when they built Mirabel instead of enlarging Dorval, and at the same authorizing international to fly to Toronto... Best moves in the 60ies-70ies... The effects will never be reversible...

Why would any Canadian pick a flight connecting in a USA city is beyond me. Too much of a hassle. Unless it's a lot cheaper than what's available fronm a Canadian city. Waiting to see if RYAN-Air comes into the market in the next few months. It will change the whole Cross-Atlantic flights Game forever..They will be offereing fares for as low as $150 one way.

Quote Originally Posted by azzaro View Post
    Why would any Canadian pick a flight connecting in a USA city is beyond me. Too much of a hassle. Unless it's a lot cheaper than what's available fronm a Canadian city. Waiting to see if RYAN-Air comes into the market in the next few months. It will change the whole Cross-Atlantic flights Game forever..They will be offereing fares for as low as $150 one way.
    A reasonable percentage of leisure travelers use loyalty points to travel for "free", particularly when business class is desired. That may or may not be the smartest way to approach travel. But a person is often a hostage to award seat availability and may have to accept undesirable connection cities. TAP makes a lot of business class seats available using United loyalty points, whereas United does not (especially on the old Continental Airline routes). I am not sure how generous Air Canada is in that area.

I took Royal Air Maroc back in 1999 from Casablanca to Montreal. At the time Montreal was not being serviced directly, we stopped in JFK for over an hour to let off some passengers and take on some more. it was a surprise I wish i had known about beforehand and would never book with them again because of it.

As for other airlines mentioned, I normally take Air France when coming to Montreal now, but that is mainly because of the short transit (4-5 hours max) times in CDG and the fact they bring me into town at 1pm which is perfect. I can get to the hotel, exchange some cash, reactivate my Montreal number and still have time for a very good nap before a night time rendezvous with a lovely woman.

Lufthansa is slightly more expensive but offers better service, but the transit time in Frankfurt for me is 7-10 hours, and arrival time in Montreal can be 3-6pm. As such I stopped using them for that particular route. Also note Lufthansa has recently become hostile to booking companies like expedia and charges them additional fees. If you fly with them its best to book directly on their website.

Merber
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
    but the transit time in Frankfurt for me is 7-10 hours, and arrival time in Montreal can be 3-6pm.
    I know what I'd do if in FRA for a few hours...
    o . o . b . e

As mentionned, Air Transat is great for non-stop flights to secondary destinations. But then, you are most likely to end up in their A310 which happens to be not really comfy (no much space)

Whereas to Paris thought, Air Transat beats Air Canada and Air France (both using B773 Hight Density; cattle spacing) while Air Transat is using their A330 which are set up to be more comfortable (for now anyways)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast