Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U2 show tonight...

U2 show tonight...

hi
    i just came back from the show.......my ears are still....numb...
    ( mes oreilles sillent)..
    I was seated in back of stage....205 section...red....
    I am wondering why i liked the elevation show boston 2000
    on my dvd and sound system better than the show itself......
    Is it hard to get that same sound from a '' live '' show?

Talking

I was on the floor (not the inner cercle ) but the show was amazing!! Bono and the holl group are juste soooooo good!
    Can't wait for them to come back to mtl!

Quote Originally Posted by mtlman2005
    Can't wait for them to come back to mtl!
    U2 is reportedly moving to Montreal.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

if you heard it from the show (cuz he did say it) I don't really think he was serious...
    But if you heard it some place else, that would be sooooo cool!

You are showing your age...under 30 right?
    Gee... its really great to be here......

At over 3 million dollars for 2 night its great to be anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlman2005
    if you heard it from the show (cuz he did say it) I don't really think he was serious...
    But if you heard it some place else, that would be sooooo cool!
    I read it in the Gazette.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

Let's give full credit to U2: that pompous blowhard Bono - even his made-up name is a joke - and his buddies have already made 5 or 6 good tunes in their 25 year career. Forget about these ageing overpaid self-loving bores.

Quick facts.

Quote Originally Posted by joelcairo
    Let's give full credit to U2: that pompous blowhard Bono - even his made-up name is a joke - and his buddies have already made 5 or 6 good tunes in their 25 year career. Forget about these ageing overpaid self-loving bores.
    Your entitled to your opinion but there are about, oh, say a couple hundred million people who would disagree with you wholeheartedly.

Bono is only part of his "made up name." The original name was "Bono Vox" which is latin for "good voice." He used it in an add to find band mates when he was in high school. Bonos real name is Paul Hewson.

He is considered by many to be one of the greatest humanitarians of our time, and he is in fact one of the most influential people in the world.

He uses his influence, fame and fortune to help the poorest people in the world through tireless efforts to get politicians to forgive third world debt, give more aid to help combat the AIDS crisis in Africa, provide vaccinations against diseases which have been eradicated in the first world such as malaria, provide clean drinking water for African villages, end torture and the imprisonment of political prisoners, etc etc etc...the list goes on and on, all of it evidence of his selflessness.

Surprisingly he himself has remarked that he and musicians in general are overpaid for what they do. He takes that money however and puts it where his mouth is by giving huge sums to the causes he supports. This is why U2 fans are happy to pay hundreds of dollars for a single ticket to see them. Bono has unquestioned credibility and integrity.

U2 is arguably the greatest Rock Band on the planet, all due respect to the Rolling Stones. They are the only band that can sell out large stadiums on EVERY continent other than Antarctica (and if they held a concert there you can be sure a bunch of U2 fans would find a way to go). This is not speculation, they have done it already and are going to do it again with sold out dates in South Africa, Asia, Australia, South America, Europe and North America.

You are right about one thing, they are aging, which is all the more amazing that they continously pull in more and more fans of all ages with every album they make. They are constantly changing their sound so as not to become stale and they incorporate many different genres of music into their albums which can only be described as masterpieces. Nearly everyone in the music industry wants to work with Bono and U2 and they are held in the highest esteem by their colleagues no matter what type of music they play.

5 or 6 tunes does not a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee make, sorry to tell you. They were inducted earlier this year by one of their biggest admirers, The Boss, Bruce Springsteen himself.

Why someone would write such unfair, untrue, and mean spirited remarks about Bono or U2 is beyond me. He is quite simply the John Lennon of our generation. A person to be listened to and learned from, a person to be cherished. But then again there were those who chanted for Christs crucifixion so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.
    Last edited by HonestAbe; 12-03-2005 at 08:34 AM.

All That You Can't Leave Behind was an awesome album. Got me into U2.

U2 is a good band but I find them overexposed.

Quote Originally Posted by joelcairo
    Ok, I can admit that SOMETIMES (not often) BOno is kinda full of himself, but there's no way you can say they are self loving.
    They are probably the group that is the most involved in *making the world a better place!!* (thats not a Micheal Jackson reference....)
    With all their charity work and political stand points, theirs no way you can call them self loving!

And after being at the monday night show, theirs no way I would call them boring....

I did find something on U2 coming to Montreal in the summer:
    http://www.u2tours.com/rumors/

I hope it happens!

To date...

...over 3 and a half million people have attended the Vertigo tour at 110 sold out shows in Europe and North America. HTDAAB Album sales have surpassed 9 million worldwide.

Even people who are not particularly fans of U2's music recognize Bono the world over and see him in a very positive light because they know what he represents. At some point in his lifetime I believe he will finally win the Nobel peace prize. He is truly deserving of it. May we all find a way to Co-exist.
    Last edited by HonestAbe; 12-10-2005 at 07:53 AM.

Veteran of Misadventures
    I don't have any of U2's recent albums but a friend of mine who does says the Vertigo album actually sucks as compared to their earlier albums. I still think The Joshua Tree is the best album U2 ever put out.

Wink Dude I feel the air has softened between us

I've never had a problem with you if thats what you thought. I just think the jury on Eli is still out, thats all.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about U2.

Check out the website for news on upcoming dates. Australian dates were just announced.

An outdoor show in Montreal? Care to join me? Hope your right.

This is not unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    I don't have any of U2's recent albums but a friend of mine who does says the Vertigo album actually sucks as compared to their earlier albums. I still think The Joshua Tree is the best album U2 ever put out.
    In my experience as a U2 fan(since the WAR album) as the band has "aged" they have changed their sound to some extent many times. I have heard on several occasions from "old" U2 fans, meaning those who fell in love with their original sound that they do not like the "new" sound. The quality of the music is unquestionably outstanding but that being said soem people don't understand that a great rock and roll band can not continously put out music that sounds exactly the same. Many bands have done this and faded into irrelevancy. Your friend of course is entitled to his opinion but the numbers don't lie. "Suck" is not a word any reasonable person would use to describe anything about this band.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast