Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astonishing fact: 70% of Americans are either overweight or obese

Retired veteran hobbyist

Astonishing fact: 70% of Americans are either overweight or obese

I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this statistic! Will poor eating habits become the #1 killer of Americans?

How 'healthy' foods are killing you

Americans are fat. No denial. They are everywhere. In Montreal I hardly ever see someone like that. But eating twice as much sugar as Americans? Just a bit rigged wasn't it.

Relocated
    Is it just me or do Americans seem to be more overweight than Canadians? When I lived in Vancouver I was blown away by the obesity in the Pacific NW of the USA. I haven't seen statistics, it's just my perception, but if it's true, why would that be?

Man, ok yes, to the south of Canada there is a percentage of overweight people, but remember with this percentage, from 330 million in the U.S. to 34 million in Canada, that percentage is a little different. And lets not forget that if you were to throw a tennis ball in any direction here in Montreal, you would hit a hot dog and poutine stand, i have never seen so many stands in my life.... Its a heart attack waiting to happen all these poutines... I was on my way to DQ last night and with every stop or red light i stopped at, there it is a pataterie......hot dogs,hamburgers, and poutine oh my.

Thor Jr

Bemused...
    The US is a large country. Yes, there are definitely large swaths of the country where obesity over-indexes. If you separate out both coasts, specifically the Northeast and the West Coast, though, I bet the average weight is less than the Midwest and the South. Cities like Boston and New York, a lot of residents walk, rather than drive everywhere, in contrast to Texas, for example. It helps. And Cali has all the vegan health nuts. Come on now, we want to be the top in all categories! Good and bad...

There are some large people in Montreal, too. Poutine is not a slimming food!

Anyways, 70% is astonishing. The metric is, to a degree, a reflection of work-life balance. Or lack thereof in the US. Americans take the least vacation days, and, have among the longest work weeks in the world. The stress of keeping up with the Joneses and to continually move ahead professionally has knocked American work-life balance completely off kilter, versus Europe, for example. I think Canadians are slightly better at it, but still, with your proximity, the bad habits are rubbing off. 40-50 hours a week in the office, and another 10-15 hours working from home, sitting in a chair slouched over a laptop is not conducive to a healthy, fit body. An unfortunate reality.

Oh, and it doesn't help we have some of the best and most sophisticated food marketing in the world...

Retired veteran hobbyist
    A good friend from California would always go shopping for clothes whenever he'd come to Mtl. One day i asked him why....don't they have any clothes in California? He replied that American sizes are different from Canadian sizes. I found this odd, since i had never heard of this. He went on to say that Americans are generally fatter and bigger than Canadians, so that's why there's now a difference in clothing sizes. He explained that a large size in Canada is smaller than large size in the States, and so on. He also mentionned that the clothing is cut/shaped differently. There is more room in the midsection area, and in the buttocks for the pants.

He was one of the brightest persons i've ever met, so he was probably correct.

Bemused...
    And European and Asian sizes are even smaller and more fitted.

Here's the reverse funny - women who come back to the US from Hong Kong / Shanghai / Singapore are often ecstatic to finally be size 'S' again, where they were Large in Asia. One friend spent her first day back stateside, refreshing her entire everyday wardrobe, and burned all the size L's she had been forced to buy in Asia. A cathartic experience she said.

70% sound high, if you measure people with the perfect bodies then few would not be obese.

The U.S.'s obesity problem is an economic issue, plain and simple. Anyone who's been to the U.S. will notice two things - junk food is much cheaper than healthy food, and you have a lot of people living below the poverty line.

Bemused...
    Not 70% though. Yes, junk food is cheaper, to a degree. But as long as you stay away from Whole Foods and other yuppy organic stores, healthier is not always more expensive. People are just lazy to prepare and cook healthy alternatives. Rather than pay $5 of whatever it is for McDonald's, you can make a great salad and spend just $2-3 per meal when you average it out. When I'm at home for a week, my vegetable and fruit spend for one is $5-10 at the local farmer's market. That's super cheap.

Also, a lot of people who are well off just make bad choices. More than anything, it's bad choices.

Quote Originally Posted by zmontreal View Post
    The U.S.'s obesity problem is an economic issue, plain and simple. Anyone who's been to the U.S. will notice two things - junk food is much cheaper than healthy food, and you have a lot of people living below the poverty line.
    By junk food, do you mean fast food? Cause i see junk food as chips, chocolate,(sorry ladies) cake,(again sorry) brownies,(my brownies are special) and things like this, but mcdonalds and burger king is fast food, just like places like chez gerard, patate rouge and la belle province is quebec fast food....

Thor Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Jr View Post
    By junk food, do you mean fast food? Cause i see junk food as chips, chocolate,(sorry ladies) cake,(again sorry) brownies,(my brownies are special) and things like this, but mcdonalds and burger king is fast food, just like places like chez gerard, patate rouge and la belle province is quebec fast food....

Thor Jr
    I tend to lump them both in the same category, though in this case I mean junk food without including fast food (there are plenty of studies that show fast food costs more per meal than healthy food).

And wolfie, I agree with you for the most part but I think it's important to consider that most families living in poverty have both parents working around the clock so that by the time their shifts end they don't have the time or energy to cook a proper meal for their kids. I also like the point someone made earlier in the thread about how people in the U.S. work longer hours than the typical Canadian. When I was younger my parents would often work 7am-11pm and we ordered take out most nights. I think the only reason I didn't become overweight is because I was lucky enough to have a very fast metabolism. But I can certainly sympathize with those who are not so lucky.

Banned
    I have to agree with Zoé on that... eating well these days is very expensive... Fruits, vegetables are very expensive... it is cheaper to drink soda than milk... It is major social problem, and no government has balls to attack serious problems (health, education, environment)... It is always short time, like many companies run by MBA graduated... Dashboard, numbers, stats... Where will be stock in three months so I can exerce my options ? Very few are looking at long term....

I think the only reason I didn't become overweight is because I was lucky enough to have a very fast metabolism. But I can certainly sympathize with those who are not so lucky.
    like you, i have a fast metabolism too but we all know that just because one is slim doesn't necessarily mean they are healthy

anyway, yes, the US size problem is closely tied to economics and lack of time.

and for anyone who enjoys shopping or just like fashion, the sizing is getting bigger in canada. for comparison, say an XS is more of a S today (even if labeled as XS) than it was 10 years ago. of course, depending on the brand

Bemused...
    I also like the point someone made earlier in the thread about how people in the U.S. work longer hours than the typical Canadian. When I was younger my parents would often work 7am-11pm and we ordered take out most nights.
    It was also me that made that point. I like this thread. Thank you for not slaughtering my comments.

I do feel bad for kids that grow up in families that just don't know any better. Similar to growing up around smokers, some kids just never get the chance to learn there is choice. And that is unfortunate.

My issue is more with middle-class families and richer, who actually do know better and have choice, and still choose poorly. And there are a lot... For those families, when they complain about not having time to cook a proper meal... I go back to prioritizing, and will, and discipline. Just like with exercise, if you deem it important enough, you will MAKE the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast