Thread: Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg pledges $45bn giveaway

Banned

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg pledges $45bn giveaway

Good evening,

In the last few days, I saw a very human move... Here the news... http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c16f957e-9...aa298f769.html

What do you think ? Is humanity in good hand and going into the right direction ? Or it's already too late and we are condamned to disappear ?

Regard,

No matter what happen...I'll always have faith in humanity. We only hear of the bad stuff on the news but there's still an awful lot of good people left on this earth.

It is also a really good way to save on income tax...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Red View Post
    It is also a really good way to save on income tax...
    True... But there is certain good thing to see in his décision. I am not scared for him to do his grocery tomorrow...

BTW... Do you think that he has the 5000 friends limitation ?

I would confidently say that Mr Zuckerberg is not motivated to pledge away 99% of the empire he built to save tax dollars.

At age 31, he is America's wealthiest under 40 years of age billionaire. Previous to this announcement, he and his wife have donated close to 2 billion$ to the areas of education and healthcare. I think it admirable that a young couple displays this commitment to " Share the wealth" at such an early point in their lives. Most financially successful people at this age would be focusing on making their next 45 billion.

The newly formed Chan Zuckerberg Initiative will have a similar focus on education and health, though that won’t be all. . In a letter to his daughter on Facebook, in which he announced the pledge, Zuckerberg wrote that the Initiative will focus on “personalized learning, curing disease, connecting people and building strong communities.”...Forbes

While the pledge is to be over his lifetime, more concretely he has committed to donate approx. 2 % of his shares in each of the next 3 years. At current FB stock prices, that would equate to about 1 billion $ per year. They say 99% of the world's wealth is held by 1% of the population...what a difference it could make in the world if the 1% followed Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan's example!

Banned
    $1B well spent can do a lot good things to à lot of human beings...

What we spent in Afghanistan and Iraki, but in right project like supplying water, éducation health care...that could make à whole new world... Better and Safer...

It's a whole new ballgame
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudsurf View Post
    BTW how do you save on income tax ?
    http://usuncut.com/class-war/mark-zu...harity-scheme/

I read this and I'm not going to pretend that I understand it, but there seems to be some sentiment among those more in tune with the tax codes than I would ever want to be that Lana is absolutely correct, that this is no more than a scheme to dodge taxes on Zuckerberg's part.

http://says.com/my/news/what-no-one-...n=mobile_share

OK, I only glanced at this one, but it seems to echo the other article.
    The mounties always get their man.

I am sorry. I think I have been misinterpreted. No need to be rude (even if I understand that my comment have been read as it is)

But this is a well-known fact that many enteprises give money to charity to save on income tax. You can save up to 75% of income tax by giving to charity.

Great if Mr. Zuckerberg did it completly selfless (pas certaine de la traduction : d'une manière complètement désintéressée) and more great if it inspire some other people to give to people in need.

Again, it was not against the man himself. But nothing is completly black or white (or completely pink), excepted the pure colors.

I am not a mean person at all and if it was an appropriate comment on this Thread, I apologize.
    My aim was not to discredite anybody, neither to smash a bubble of joy.

Banned
    When there is big donation like this one, or Ted Turner many years ago, or Bill Gates, Guy Laliberté... even in a smaller scale, but still very generous... PK Subban.. Yes they do have accountant to show them the tax benefits, and "marketing" benefits too (harder to measure though)....

But the ultimate fact is... these people did it, where others continue to their wealth for themselves...

I simply hope that this money will be well spent for what these people need... not what we decide they need... "nuance"...

It's a whole new ballgame
    Quote Originally Posted by grenouilleforever View Post
    "nuance"...
    Nuance is exactly right. There is a reason that Zuckerberg set this up as an LLC rather than as a 501(C)3. He retains complete control and gains enormous tax benefits. That's not to disparage the goodness of what he's trying to do, but simply to point out that there are other motives as well.
    The mounties always get their man.

Don't get carried away. It's only a pledge - and it probably won't take effect until after his death. However it's a great P.R. move and makes him look good. Just like Bill Gates' pledge to give away billions. He's still the richest man alive at around $85 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Garotalover View Post
    Just like Bill Gates' pledge to give away billions. He's still the richest man alive at around $85 billion.
    Bill Gates is nowhere near the actual Richest in the world. If the Actual Richest people woke up tomorrow with Bill Gates' money, they would put a gun to their heads and blow their brains out.