Thread: Study on men over 60 who pay for sex

Study on men over 60 who pay for sex

A study in this month's American Journal of Men's Health surveyed American men between the ages of 60 and 84 who pay for sex (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mo6010416.php)

The study found that men over 60 who pay for sex are predominately white, University-educated, married, have upper-middle income levels, and have 5-10 sex partners during a year.

More importantly, the study found that, among men over 60 who pay for sex, the older they were, the more frequently they paid for sex and the more likely they were to have experienced unprotected sexual intercourse multiple times with a sexworker.

The authors of the study warned that:

There is a nearly universal perception that older men do not pay for, or even engage sexually with regular frequency. This view may contribute to a false sense of security for both clients and sex workers during their encounters, and may lead to less protective strategies than with younger purchasers of sex. In addition, the exchange of emotional intimacy during the so-called 'Girlfriend Experience' as well as the possibility of being viewed as an elderly low-risk client who engages with only one or a very limited number of providers may contribute to a relaxation of boundaries and a false sense of security in avoiding STIs.
    Medical and mental health clinicians should not assume that old age is a barrier to paying for sex, particularly among the generations that began engaging in sexual activity prior to the epidemic emergence of the HIV virus.
    To reduce the incidence of STIs among sexually active older men, health care providers should ask their older male patients about their sexual partners and discuss protective strategies for avoiding STIs.

This study just does not make sense.
    Why would any sex provider choose to protect themselves differently with someone over 60.

I think SP will now have to ask for identification to prove that you are over 60 before forgoing protection.
    Watch out for all these young guys that will be masquerading as 70 year olds.

Unfortunately, sometimes you read studies that are in fact nonsensical and it makes a person very concerned about whether the authors just had limited data or if they are just not too bright.

Medicine is different than law or finance, and I admire that doctors treat everyone the same. But most professions differentiate amongst rich, middle class, and poor people, primarily because a poor person, unless he just survived a terrible automobile accident that was someone else's fault, can't pay the lawyer's hourly rate. The poor should thank God, and someday thank Obama, for being able to have health insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid in the States so that the medical community treats them as equals.

Anyway, if the PhD medical researchers would take some time and read TER, ECCIE, and usasexguide, they would quickly make a discovery that bare back vaginal full service is unfortunately often available from the low-end, often drug abusing, providers who are discussed on usasexguide. Certainly not all of them, but you will find more availability of this at the very low end of the U.S. market. Statistically, more of the guys in the study who are poor likely see the low-end providers and are more likely to obtain bare back full service. At all age groups, a higher percentage of Americans at lower income levels obtain an STD. It is logical that an 80 year old man who is offered bare back full service for $50 from a sex worker extra might be more likely to say yes than a similarly intelligent 20 year old, on the assumption that something else will kill him first, but the study does not produce that conclusion. A good study would segregate the participants amongst age groups and price paid per sex act. But even then, it would be distorted because the non-drug using sex providers charging close to the median U.S. hourly rate simply do not offer bare back full service. These are the providers I see, and I know it is not offered. But I read about it being available from lesser girls on lesser review boards. It is concerning, but I do not see desperate druggies, so I don't care that much and there is nothing I can do about it.

Equally frustrating is that the study seemed to treat bare back vaginal/anal full service in much the same light as BBBJ and laughably bare back hand jobs (oh my, a chick somewhere actually does that). The scientific statistics are simply not very convincing that BBBJs, even to completion (although that is slightly more risky to the provider), are a significant source of STD transmission. Most U.S. providers, even at the high-end of pricing, do this activity and I try to only see providers that do BBBJs. While I am not nearly as old as the participants in the study, I am more likely to seek out providers doing BBBJs, because the older a guy gets, the less enjoyable CBJs are and the less likely an older guy is to be able to cum from a CBJ in comparison to a guy in his 20s. But I am not convinced that old guys getting BBBJs constitutes some great health risk to anyone. The relevant question, if the study properly included men of all age groups, would be whether an old guy is more likely to find out if the provider offers BBBJ, and is he more likely to answer that ad and repeat with that provider, in comparison to a young guy. The answer is probably yes, but the study does not prove that.

At the end of the day, it was a useless study by a couple of doctor/scientist chicks that have a prudish view of sex and learned very little about the commercial sex market in the States prior to engaging in the study. I have my doubts that either of them would be very fun in the sack, but who knows. And if they charged for it, they would be very expensive, I suspect, and everything would be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
    This study just does not make sense.
    Why would any sex provider choose to protect themselves differently with someone over 60.

I think SP will now have to ask for identification to prove that you are over 60 before forgoing protection.
    Watch out for all these young guys that will be masquerading as 70 year olds.
    I suspect there are a few isolated situations in which an old guy who simply finds himself unable to cum with a condom in full service goes for the very expensive sugarbaby option and pays a small fortune every month to get bareback full service after showing the provider a recent negative STD battery of tests. She figures she is on the pill and the old guy does not have the money (after her enormous allowance) or the energy to fuck anyone else (if he is going that route had sure ain't banging the old women his age at the nursing home). He figures if the provider gives him something, he will either gut cured from antibiotics or something else will take him out first. I think that type of arrangement is rare, but it is more likely for an old guy than a young guy. The younger guy has less issues coming with a condom, less money for a very expensive sugarbaby, and craves variety more than a really old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron View Post
    At the end of the day, it was a useless study by a couple of doctor/scientist chicks that have a prudish view of sex...
    Martin Monto is not a chick, he is IMHO the world leading researcher on clients of prostitution (with our own Canadian Chris Atchison). He has published extensively on the subject in the last 20-25 years. He has deconstructed just about all the myths regarding the johns, including his famous rebuttal of the rape myth hypothesis. To my knowledge he is not prudish at all, at least in his writings. Milrod is a female psychologist and sex therapist who has done research with him in the past. She shares most of his views. I agree this study is of limited interest. It's mainly due to the fact that most of scientific funds available for research in prostitution come from the health sector. You point out good points however. Maybe there are answers in the article that I did not read.

Whoops, I just saw the names Katie and Camille but I guess they are with the publishing company.

Of course, the study may have been fine. We are reading the description and summary of the study that is written by laymen.

Sexual Deviant
    Truthfully I'm not surprised by these findings at all, and it makes a lot of sense actually.

Sex education has been pretty bad for a long time, but it was almost completely useless for those coming from a much older generation.
    Also, it's definitely not only low-priced providers offering unprotected sex, I've heard of a fair few higher end ones also offering it. Not only that, but even the providers priced in the middle, usually they're offering unprotected sex at a really high extra charge, so it's not likely the poor guys could even afford it.

There is a nearly universal perception that older men do not pay for, or even engage sexually with regular frequency. This view may contribute to a false sense of security for both clients and sex workers during their encounters, and may lead to less protective strategies than with younger purchasers of sex. In addition, the exchange of emotional intimacy during the so-called 'Girlfriend Experience' as well as the possibility of being viewed as an elderly low-risk client who engages with only one or a very limited number of providers may contribute to a relaxation of boundaries and a false sense of security in avoiding STIs.
    This is what makes the most sense(though I mean logically it doesn't, but when we're talking young providers frame of mind). Many of the younger, less-educated-about-sexual-health providers may see this as a justification for taking an older man's offer for unprotected sex.

Then again, who really knows..
    Your curvy redhead vixen!