Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does everyone think of plus-sized Barbie?

What does everyone think of plus-sized Barbie?

I have mixed feelings about the push in marketing/advertising toward including more plus-sized models.

I understand the business aspect. An increasing percentage of women (and men) are overweight and if more widely accepted and widely admired ads feature people who look like them, the underlying product might sell better.

But does that not just encourage more women to get heavier? Plenty of us got sick of women saying they had JayLo butt, when we were privately thinking, no the camera adds 5 pounds, so in reality your butt is way bigger than JayLo's, and JayLo has a better face and better boobs than you do anyway.

And this famous for a day Plus-sized Barbie has a pretty face and she is too young for anything to sag. It won't be a good look in 10 years unless she loses some weight. I can think of at least one provider who was "bigger" (probably one size less than Barbie) who I really liked for a few years but lost interest in them sooner than I would have for a slimmer girl with the same performance.

All in all, I would prefer that the modeling industry stick to the old female hardbody prototype.

http://time.com/4196604/barbie-ferreira-model-aerie/

https://www.instagram.com/barbienox/

aucun probleme avec les barbies, les plus size et les femmes de 5 pieds 9 et plus.

What next? Obese Barbie!

I know she wan't to be me

If the heavy Barbie promotes obesity, then old-timey Barbie promotes anorexia. Or neither influence anyone, I don't know.

The promotion of healthy habits starts at home. Parents who are obese, make their children obese and tell them it's fine because they should "love their body" are causing way more harm than a doll.

Barbie is a real person by the way. She is a British model with a very pretty face who is going to promote the larger clothing offered by a retailer, American Eagle. It has long amused the public, and perhaps irritated the shareholders of stylish clothing companies such as American Eagle and Abercrombie & Fitch that a significant portion of potential customers could not fit into their clothes.

As long as that exclusionary percentage remained low, it was no big deal. If it was cool to be slim or athletic, and therefore if cool kids shop there, all was good. People like feeling good about being part of the "in crowd" when exclusion exists. Plus there is less material in smaller sized clothing, so profits are higher.

But as people got bigger, and also as American Eagle risked being where "mom or older sister used to shop", the market for the athletic young people was not cutting it apparently. So "bigger Barbie" has a contract. I find it interesting and a tad disturbing (since I prefer spinners) even though I suspect that those French language posts I cannot read might have said I am an asshole (and if is fine if they do).

Illecebrous Quaintrelle
    Montreal & somewhere in your arms in Canada

Body Shaming and the ideology of perceived perfection and beauty...

As we all know, the cliché of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" rings true to many. Of course, not true for all because the ingrained mainstream definition of "beautiful" prevents certain individuals from appreciating (and accepting) other body types... the "imperfect" ones.

Quite frankly, I'm glad the industry is moving on and progressing towards a more inclusive approach that doesn't necessarily promotes the usual Barbie look that inspires so many little girls to feel the need to look like those models and feel bad about themselves when they can't reach that goal of perceived beauty and perfection.

I'm hoping this positive evolution will cause less eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia, less emotional distress, anxiety and depression (due to the need for acceptance) in teen girls (and in some women). It would also be a huge bonus if, at the same time, it could provide an open mind to part of the biased male population.

Just keep i mind that no matter how thin, toned and healthy a woman is, it doesn't mean she'll ever be able to look like Barbie (or a model)--unless she's willing to go through some/a lot of cosmetic surgery.

Stay healthy and feel beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by TinaMtl View Post
    I disagree.
    Des barbies plus-size inciteraient à prendre du poids? Lol ben voyons donc....
    I was thinking the exact same thing

It makes me wonder if those guys are single, if married, what their wives look like and mostly, what they look like themselves

I also find it kind of amusing that all the criticism in the media regarding models being unrealistically thin and athletic is from women and involves female models. Most male models have professional athlete bodies, a perfect jawbone, and awesome facial hair growth.

Have you ever heard a guy say, I could never look like him. I wish they would use some Homer Simpson type in the ad so I would not feel like they are body shaming me.

Personally I do not prefer the thin no tits or ass females, I probably used this before but the K.I.M. body is to my ideal liking ( Carmen from MTLGFE is another example ). Not saying any other body type is not good but not my preferred type.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella Laurence View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing

It makes me wonder if those guys are single, if married, what their wives look like and mostly, what they look like themselves
    Posez la question c'est y répondre...

She doesn't even look plus size... Some people need to take the metro more often, they'll see what plus size is in real life

Beeing healthy is one thing.. Beeing a spinner is totally different ball game.. And Barbie is just unhealthy..

Quote Originally Posted by Patron View Post
    I also find it kind of amusing that all the criticism in the media regarding models being unrealistically thin and athletic is from women and involves female models. Most male models have professional athlete bodies, a perfect jawbone, and awesome facial hair growth.
    Also true about toys. Nobody ever worried that my He-man or GI Joe dolls, I mean action figurines, were unrealistic. The Barbie doll does not have realistic proportions. It does not represent anyone. No point in worrying about that. It's good to have more fashion models that represent more variety, but toys are meant to be fantasy so let's not confuse the two.

I like voluptuous women and plus size models are usually very pretty. No matter what shape they choose they are never going to pick ugly people.
    “Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love.”

They look fine to me, certainly not unhealthy or even fat. http://kids.barbie.com/fr-fr/promo/barbie-fashionistas

Don't expect Mattel to educate on the proper body weight. The react to the demand. If other sizes sell, they will make them. As suggested by Sionarf, however, I don't see the point of absolutely wanting to draw fantasy as close as possible to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaMtl View Post
    I disagree.

Des barbies plus-size inciteraient à prendre du poids? Lol ben voyons donc....
    Pourquoi mettre dans les mains de nos enfants des barbies qui ne ressemblent majoritairement en rien à leur maman, tantes, soeurs, cousines, voisines etc.
    Je comprends le culte de la jeunesse, du corps en santé, de la beauté (photoshoppée) (...) mais à un moment donné il faut aussi de la diversité dans ce qui est mis de l'avant dans la mode et les magazines.
    Il faut différencier les fantasmes et le vrai monde (XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL...)

Je suis pour les Barbies et la mode plus size.

Pardon my French.

-Plus Size Tina xx
    La question est plutôt qu'elle Barbie achèterai tu à ta fille ! Celle qui te ressemble anorexique/bbw..... Ou plutôt pourquoi juste en faire une qui représente un poid santé ! (Qui pour certain est bbw !)
    Je suis heureux de voir que la diversité autant dans la couleur que dans la forme est proposé aux jeunes filles. Faut aussi les éduquer qu'un poid santé du à un régime équilibré est très valorisant . Y faut mètres des avertissements sur les magazines dont les photos sont trop travailler comme on mets des avertissements sur les paquets cigarettes !

Tina , ce qui est dangereux chez toi c'est tes courbes mais ce qui me tue c'est ton doux sourire , tes jolies yeux et ta façon d'être SEXY !!!!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQEIJSGJY8
    GOHABSGO

I was just having fun TinaMtl. I know your posts are always nice.

And once again, my post was about the popular new model whose name is Barbie, not the children's toys known as Barbie dolls.

I know that peer pressure can be mean and nasty, but I remember one study get showed that single white women in the U.S. ate less in the days preceding a big date than single black women and the researchers attributed it to the fact that black men, on average, were more desirable of bigger butts. I was kind of surprised the study was approved, since it was not politically correct.

I would certainly do the Barbie this thread is about, as I like her face and her "blowjob lips" but I would still prefer the advertising focus continue to be on slim, athletic ladies (my preferred body style) as the peer pressure encourages women to maintain better physical conditioning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast