Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War on cash

Angry War on cash

I was wondering if anyone has had problems getting cash from banks lately. Especially when asking for one hundred dollar bills.

Since ATM will not dish out brown bill you have to go to the counter and ask for them. A few times lately when going to pick up cash for encounters, I was given reasons such as "we don't keep
    a lot of of those bills" when asking for a given sum or they offer to give it to you in $50 bills. I eventually have to insist to usually get them -but its a hassle.

Now I much prefer brown bills because a) they avoid a bulging wallet and b) It allows your lady to check the cash faster. Everyone wins here.

Is there a war on cash going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Stringcroc View Post
    Now I much prefer brown bills because a) they avoid a bulging wallet and b) It allows your lady to check the cash faster. Everyone wins here.
    ?
    lol that's it!? You worry about the size of your wallet and worry that the girl will take more time to check the cash!?

50$ bills are fine with me...The girls doesn't have a problem counting that money. They know how to count 20$ bills too! Amazing right!?

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJon View Post
    lol that's it!? You worry about the size of your wallet and worry that the girl will take more time to check the cash!?

50$ bills are fine with me...The girls doesn't have a problem counting that money. They know how to count 20$ bills too! Amazing right!?

GentlemanJon - I know the girls don't have a problem counting the money -its a courtesy on my part. Also when you book someone for several hours (or a night in some case) it can be a LOT of bills -that is what I meant.

Its just that lately its been a hassle MORE than usual. No all bank branches mind you -but some.

I would rather hand over ten bills of 100$ than say fifty of 20$. Admit it -it does make your job a tad easier no?

I know some banks still deal with cash drawers and are limited, and if you are not a regular at the branch in question they will offer. But at RBC the have cash distributors in the branch and those things hold lots of cash and it is on a rare occasion they do not have $100.
    So if the agent takes the cash from a drawer and never gets up from their chair it's a drawer,if they tell you I will be back and goes to another PC monitor elsewhere then its a automatic machine.
    My best friend told me you're the best lick in town
    You got the rhythm you got the speed
    Mama's little baby likes it short and sweet

A poor corrupt official
    Don't they have a Citiwide Change Bank in Montreal?

"We will give you change equal to the amount of money you want change for."
    Strasser: By the way, the murder of the couriers, what has been done?
    Renault: Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects.
    Heinze: We already know who the murderer is.
    Strasser: Good. Is he in custody?
    Renault: Oh, there's no hurry. Tonight he'll be at Rick's. Everybody comes to Rick's.

Illecebrous Quaintrelle
    Montreal & somewhere in your arms in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringcroc View Post
    I would rather hand over ten bills of 100$ than say fifty of 20$. Admit it -it does make your job a tad easier no?
    With large amounts, keep it simple and send an email transfer instead

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella Laurence View Post
    With large amounts, keep it simple and send an email transfer instead
    Seriously, do most SP accept this method of payment? I'm sure it's a very small minority who actually does

never in the hell I will do email transfer. nor bitcoins, nor paypal, nor credit card. nothing but cash. and if you want a bank that gives 100 dollars bills, banque nationale. I can get any amount I want in 100 dollars bills. I paid my Ludwig drumkit 3 weeks ago cash with 6 large of 100 dollars bills in a white enveloppe. if your bank is telling you they can't provide you with the services you want, change bank.

>tinman140869: Thanks for pointing out a procedure in banks I was not aware of.

Its silly really. It's not like I walked in and asked for ten grand in 100$ bills.

I actually dread the day that one day society will became cashless. Cash allows us to remain anonymous during day-to-day transactions. This goes down to the very basics of privacy. What I do with my money is my business and my business alone...

And for the SP it is more discreet. Vital in fact. Cash cannot be tracked.

The thing I've noticed is that place often don't accept 100 dollar bills y'all.

Less and less with the newer bills in canada...
    Et je l'écoute (Joël Bouchard) toujours jusqu'à la fin de son laïus parce que je suis convaincu qu'un jour, il va terminer en nous offrant des voitures usagées à des prix INCROYABLES!

-Ronald King

Lily from Montreal
    I prefer 20's to 50's and the worst is 100's because except the grocery store where they accept the 100 without a blink it is harder to use,my pharmacy doesn't accept them anymore.

I know it is mean to be a nicer gesture to pay with those but honestly it is easier to get 20's and less hassle for you guys to get it,of course I do not meet overnight so the envelope you give me are not bulging even if it is 20's...and no e-transfer are not an option for me either...no trace needed...

My TD bank ATM does $50's on withdrawals over $200, when I go to a teller $100.00's are available If wanted.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyForYou View Post
    I prefer 20's to 50's and the worst is 100's because except the grocery store where they accept the 100 without a blink it is harder to use,my pharmacy doesn't accept them anymore.
    Even though a lot of businesses say they don't accept 100 dollar bills...it is actually against the law to accept any legal tender. I recently filled up my vehicle at a Petro Canada that had a sign on the door saying "We do not accept $50 bills or $100 bills." I filled up anyways, knowing that they are not allowed to do this. I went to pay with two $100 bills and the clerk said "We don't accept those."
    So I said "Well, that's all I have." It was suggested I use a credit card...said I didn't have one (not true...but wanted to make a point.)
    Eventually I said "Listen, either you take my money or you're not getting paid." Clerk said she was going to call the police....to which I agreed. She was a bit surprised.
    So....SQ shows up 15 minutes later (off island) and turns out I know them. Explained the situation (it's not like I was trying to steal anything) and they told the clerk that the business obligated to accept any form of legal tender. I handed the money to the officer and told him I was gonne leave and let him sort it out (keep in mid...I knew the guy).

That Petro Canada now accepts all forms of legal tender and the sign is gone.

Cases like this were more common with the older bills being easy to copy. With the new polymer bills they are no longer allowed to refuse. Just keep that in mind and if they give you a hassle...let them call the police and get put in their place.

When I need more than 800$ cash, I call the bank in advance to let them know so they prepare everything to have the money handy when I get there. Works perfectly, no question ask and it's quick. It's my accountant who told me to do that
    Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast