Thread: fomer NCAA football star Maurice Clarett in trouble

proud infidel

fomer NCAA football star Maurice Clarett in trouble

BTW, the Als reportedly own his CFL rights

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...GNEWS/60101009

Did he even make the practice squad of an NFL team? I recall that after all the BS and the law suits, he ran a 4.68 40-yard dash, slower than the 40-yard times of NFL linemen. What the hell happened to this guy?

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles
    Did he even make the practice squad of an NFL team? I recall that after all the BS and the law suits, he ran a 4.68 40-yard dash, slower than the 40-yard times of NFL linemen. What the hell happened to this guy?
    I was surprised that he even got drafted after that 4.68 time in the 40. He got drafted by the Broncos in the 3rd round and they cut him in training camp. 4.68 is not going to cut it in the NFL.

What a waste, remember the National Championship game he had against The "U" a few years ago (as a freshman) - this kid threw it all away.
    Try everything in life at least once, except incest & maybe square dancing.

He will probably end up in the CFL, i have no doubt.

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.t
    He will probably end up in the CFL, i have no doubt.
    I would seriously doubt that given he may have lost some of his skills, in addition to being a head case and, more recently, in trouble with the law. Like the NFL, the CFL has a gruelling schedule (18 regular season + 2 pre-season games, not counting playoffs) where serious commitment and discipline on the part of the player is a must. If the person is trouble and a head case, he won't last long in the CFL either. Just look at what happened to Lawrence Phillips.

On a sidenote, I can't wait to see how USC star running back, Reggie Bush, will fare in the NFL. Most experts say this kid is something special, something you might see coming out of college only once every 25 years. Some have compared him to Gale Sayers both in skill and stature.

fml
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 01-04-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Contrast Clarett vs. Bush

Maurice was a victim of hype. He was too young to handle the pressure of so much fame and expectation. Its a shame Ohio State didn't bring in some strong role models to help him keep his head on straight, although if there is any truth to what Maurice claimed about THE Ohio State Universities policies for him and its other star athletes then it isn't hard to believe that this happened. Ohio State has had numerous cases of athletes being given special treatment in recent years, Andy Katzenmoyer being a prime example. Ohio State seems to be modeling itself after Barry Switzers Oklahoma teams of the 80's for the second coming of Uzi University.

When major universities do this to 18 and 19 year old teenage boys they really do them a disservice because it doesn't teach them responsibility on any level, rather it teaches them to think they can get away with anything and rules do not apply to them. Not to excuse Claretts' behavior at all, he made his own decisions and now will have to pay the price. I doubt if any pro team would want him now. He's a head case and as has been pointed out he is out of shape in addition to his skills having diminished since being away from the game. Why would a CFL team want an NFL reject and budding criminal? Do Canadians like this kind of character? Last thing Montreal needs is someone like him roaming the streets with a chip on his shoulder.

Reggie Bush is a prime example of the opposite school of thought. At USC he flourished under watchful eyes and guiding hands, building himself up year after year, and he is now definitely ready to take the NFL by storm. I predicted early this season he would be the number one pick in the draft because of his speed, both North and South and laterally. His pass catching skills make him a dual threat and he has open field moves that will leave most players with broken ankles. Granted playing in the NFL there will be a higher level of competition than he is used to so he won't be running for 300 yards very often but I see no reason why this guy couldn't be an All Pro within a few years.

Comparisons to other backs, Dorsett, Dickerson, Sayers, Terrell Davis, OJ. Best case scenario he could be as good as any of these guys if he has a good offensive line in front of him, put him on a good team and they will contend for titles every year. Worst case scenario is he goes to a team that spends nothing to build a team around him and he ends up being a one man show, puts up huge numbers but never/rarely makes the playoffs and retires early due to stress, injuries, and loss of passion to play the game.
    Last edited by HonestAbe; 01-04-2006 at 02:47 PM.
    "I can picture every move that a man could make
    getting lost in her loving is your first mistake

Sometimes I think its a sin
    When I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again"

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestAbe
    Worst case scenario is he goes to a team that spends nothing to build a team around him and he ends up being a one man show, puts up huge numbers but never/rarely makes the playoffs and retires early due to stress, injuries, and loss of passion to play the game.
    Hmmm... that phrase evokes a former great back who used to play for Detroit...