My fellow Americans (always wanted to say that lol).
If you haven't noticed yet, a lot of the carriers are now including some degree of free or low-cost roaming in The Great White North. Thought I would start a thread with what is being offered. I know the most about the AT&T options, because that is my carrier. By no means is this meant to be complete, and would be great if others can help keep this up to date.
* If you are on a Mobile Share Value plan you can call and request the "Canada Roaming Bonus" for free. This provides unlimited talk, text and 1GB of data. The Canada 1GB is an ADDITIONAL bucket of data (does not count against your US data bucket)
* This is a fairly new option (a couple months old) and you have to call and request this. If the front-line rep doesn't know, ask to be transferred to Retentions
* Mobile Share Value plans allow tethering, so you should be able to share your 1GB of Canada data with your iPad, laptop, etc
* I have used this once so far and, if I remember correctly, the carrier in Mtl was Rogers with rock solid coverage ( I did get a text from AT&T saying I had exceeded $100 in roaming charges, gulp, but that was erroneous)
T-Mobile Simple Choice
* Includes 4G LTE data (from your US bucket) and unlimited calling and texting when you’re in Mexico and Canada
* New customers get this plan automatically starting July 15, 2015. Most existing customers can migrate to the Simple Choice North America plan at no extra charge.
* For a $2 daily fee you can add TravelPass and use your domestic talk, text and data allowances in Canada (and Mexico)
* Call and request Sprint Open World be added to your account. It provides unlimited talk, text and 1Gb of data
* GoPhone includes Canada roaming for free with the 2GB plan and up
* Cricket includes Canada roaming with the 5GB plan and up
If you want to maximize the use of your data, be sure and install an ad-blocker.