Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort McMurray has just been evacuated, entire town

Fort McMurray has just been evacuated, entire town

My friends on Ft. McMurray just called the entire town under mandatory evacuation due to forest fire, gas stations on fire and the only way out is north ( no towns just work camps ). Roads in front of my place there are blocked with trucks and no one is moving. The entire town could be burned to the ground.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Where are you right now? Sounds pretty bad.

Wildfire Sol ?
    Wishing the best outcome to the residents...

Best Regards
    Smuler
    Savoir Faire Is Everywhere !!!

Trying one day to be " In the Know "

I was lucky I took a month off last week, the people at the place I live have to evacuate but the streets in front of our house are blocked by trucks not moving. Still sitting and waiting, may have to walk away if necessary
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Aerial photographs of Fort MacMurray, as seen in the link below, show that the town is set back significantly from the treeline, however, the development is very compacted and dense, so that if a few gas stations exploded, I can see it being a problem as the buildings are all close together and there are no open spaces. There does appear to be an ample water supply, the river being adjacent to this town as shown here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_M...ray_aerial.jpg

The fire jumped the river already, one friend made it out of town and the other idiot decided to stay, said to Steve that there is no worry, Steve left.
    Houses are burning already and the south side of town is gone.

So sad to read this. Nothing to say beside this is sad and hopefully no one willl loose their life.

It's all over the news now in Montreal. This is really bad. All toughts to these ppl in Alberta. I have spent some time there and in Prince George 20 years ago, will always remember my great time there !

Just incredible what is happening there!!! Thoughts are with the people of Ft-Mac. Stay safe STN!

Veteran of Misadventures
    I was watching a report on our news this morning. This is an international news story. I saw a report in which a tearful woman told the reporter she was told she had to leave and wasn't allowed to gather her personal belongings and she was crying hysterically about the perceived loss of the personalty. I wonder if these people had insurance on the contents under their homeowner's policy? I don't know even if these Canadian insurance companies have exclusions for wildfires? Who will end up taking these losses of property and personally? Clearly there will be a massive loss of both.

Even pets have to stay behind, how heart wrenching.

All the oil and lodging companies opened their camps for everyone, some small towns south are offering free lodging and restaurants are giving free meals to evacuees. One distributer is sending 23,000 liters of fuel plus food and water up the hwy, anyone out of fuel just lift your hood up and they will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Tee Nutz View Post
    All the oil and lodging companies opened their camps for everyone, some small towns south are offering free lodging and restaurants are giving free meals to evacuees. One distributer is sending 23,000 liters of fuel plus food and water up the hwy, anyone out of fuel just lift your hood up and they will stop.
    Nice to hear that people are helping each other

Best Regards
    Smuler
    Savoir Faire Is Everywhere !!!

Trying one day to be " In the Know "

Looks like the fire is heading south now, not good news as a terminal called Cheecham is located there, it the fire gets to that I can not imagine the destruction that will cause, the Surmont facility I work at just south of there is shutdown with a skeleton crew keeping things running, also a HolyFuck if that catches fire.
    Side note: the St.Louis Blues are giving their 50/50 proceeds to Ft.McMurray from tonights game. The new playoff team I am cheering for.
    Also, by texting " redcross " to 30333 you can donate $5 to the relief fund, it will appear on your next bill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast