Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympics

Veteran of Misadventures

2016 Olympics

How the hell did Rio de Janeiro get picked for the Olympics anyway?

I read this article about the Olympic Village accommodations and it's disgusting that the best athletes in the world are housed in such shoddy accommodations with plumbing, electrical and safety issues:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/...lympic-village

This is what happens when you hire cheap labor to do cheap work, I think someone profitted enormously at the expense of these athletes. The Aussies deserve better.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post

I read this article about the Olympic Village accommodations and it's disgusting that the best athletes in the world are housed in such shoddy accommodations with plumbing, electrical and safety issues:

This is what happens when you hire cheap labor to do cheap work, I think someone profitted enormously at the expense of these athletes. The Aussies deserve better.
    The honest answer is BRIBES.

On top of what you mentioned, many of the aquatic competitions will be held in water that has been infiltrated by sewage.

Ever hear of FIFA? Well you can basically consider the IOC the same type of corrupt organization. The Doc is right on on this one....

Brazil was hotshot when it was picked about 8 year ago. The economy was booming.

But you are right Steely Dan, the fact that it was chosen only 2 years appart also to host the mundial should have raised some suspicions that the IOC is just a corrupt as the FIFA.

Quote Originally Posted by jalimon View Post
    Brazil was hotshot when it was picked about 8 year ago. The economy was booming.

But you are right Steely Dan, the fact that it was chosen only 2 years appart also to host the mundial should have raised some suspicions that the IOC is just a corrupt as the FIFA.
    Brazil was on fire indeed when the Olympics were selected. I used to work there at the time and a lot of prominent local leaders were laughing at the global economic crisis and how it wasn't impacting them.

Funny how people can put their feet in their mouths. I left Brazil about 5 years ago and it's been downhill since from what I've heard but life over there is amazing (for those with means).

Quote Originally Posted by Samak View Post
    Brazil was on fire
    I remember reports on the Brazilian economy and government were glowing at the time. Still I thought picking Rio was strange because even then I read how around Rio were some of the worst living conditions in the world, which explains the runaway pollution. Maybe in part Zika is a reminder of the dangers of not looking at the whole picture instead of engaging in post card myopia.
    7, Count em, 7 Super Bowls and 5 Super Bowl RINGS for Tom Brady...ROGER THAT!!!

Veteran of Misadventures
    Phelps selected to carry flag at opening ceremony for Team USA, after Vote By Team USA athletes:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_...-olympic-games

Good luck to Michael and the rest of Team USA!

Phelps selected to carry flag at opening ceremony for Team USA, after Vote By Team USA athletes:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_...-olympic-games

Good luck to Michael and the rest of Team USA!
    Absolutely amazing athlete who totally deserves the honour.
    His achievements may never be repeated.

Veteran of Misadventures

Van Vleuten Crashes Horrifically While Leading Women's Rio Olympic Cycling Race

There has been a horrifying bike crash at the Olymoics, as Annemiek Van Vleuten Goes Head First Over Handlebars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HCi2-obbws

Heavy concussion and 3 spinal fractures was her diagnosis.

That's why you ALWAYS wear a helmet

Looks like she high sided it when she hit that paint stripe in the rain

My Dutch friends told me she is OK miraculously

Best Regards
    Smuler
    Savoir Faire Is Everywhere !!!

Trying one day to be " In the Know "

Congrats to Penny Oleksiak ( Jamie's little sister ) , on winning Canada's first medal

Best Regards
    Smuler

The most amazing thing is they find an audience year after year. How can people care when all we see is cheating, corruption and new enhancing drugs we'll learn how to trace in 10 years. Thank you but no thank you. I feel sorry for the brazilian people having to pay for all that. The athletes can complain, it will never as bad as the favelas

Break out the Bong

Phelps wins his first gold !
    Best Regards
    Smuler

Michael Phelps won his 19th gold medal yesterday, 23 over all with 2 silver and 2 bronze. There could be more easily.

The next most gold medal winners are:

Larisa Latynina of the Soviet Union 9 gold, 18 total. Gymnastics 1956–1964.

Paavo Nurmi of Finland 9 gold, 12 total. Track and field 1920–1928.

Mark Spitz of U.S. 9 gold, 12 total. Swimming 1968-1972.

Carl Lewis of U.S. 9 gold, 10 total. Track and field 1984-1996.

A competing French swimmer called Phelps "extraterrestrial". LOL!
    7, Count em, 7 Super Bowls and 5 Super Bowl RINGS for Tom Brady...ROGER THAT!!!

Retired veteran hobbyist
    The Canadian men's volleyball team created a huge upset last night when they beat the US men's team in three straight games. I was shocked!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast