Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having to put a pet down

Having to put a pet down

Have to put my dog Kramer down, yellow lab I had for 13 years. My son called and he explained that the vet says it is time ( it all happened within a week )..
    My daughter is coming back from college on Friday and I am flying back the same day to see him for the last time. This is probably the hardest thing I have had to do in a long time.
    A couple of dog jokes:
    If your dog is barking at the back door and your wife/girlfriend is pounding on the front door who do you let in first? the dog, he will shut up when he gets in....
    To see who loves you more, your dog or your girlfriend... Lock them both in a trunk of the car in July for half an hour and see who is glad to see you when you let them out.
    Gonna miss the beast.
    I enjoy a glass of wine each day for it's health benifits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.

Really sorry to hear, pets are family. That is a good long life for a big dog, and the end is better for animals than it is for elderly people who do not generally get a compassionate death.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron View Post
    Really sorry to hear, pets are family. That is a good long life for a big dog, and the end is better for animals than it is for elderly people who do not generally get a compassionate death.
    Glad you mentioned that- although I don't want to get into "the debate" about it. When our last dog had to go, I was devastated.

New and Improved
    You have my sympathy.

Putting my best friend down was the hardest thing I ever did. He was in an awful state and it had to be done.

Just think what a great life you gave him, remember all the happy times! Your dog would not want you to be sad.

Sorry for your loss.

Sol Tee...very sorry to hear that you will have to do that...it's definitely one of the hardest things to go through....and I'm sure he will be waiting for you patiently on the other side. Stay strong.

I've had to do this a number of times over the years, and it doesn't get any easier. The mourning is true and deep. At least we can make the inevitable end painless and gentle. But, man, does this thread bring back those loses.
    My condolences to you and your family.

I have done this several times and it never gets easier, my condolences to you and your family. After 13 years they are definitely members of the family. The memories will always be there and although I have gone through it I never learn and always end up with a couple of dogs. They give me so much that I could never be without a dog in my life. Pat his head, hold him in your arms as he is put down, this is you giving back to him for all he has given you over the years. Rest in peace big guy
    " You actually get to choose your friends, family.........well..."

New and Improved
    One thing that may help: have a vet come to your home.
    Keep your dog's routine as normal as possible, and surround them with familiar toys, treats, and people.
    Our dog passed away on his favorite blanket in his favourite spot.
    Good luck Sol.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoody View Post
    Keep your dog's routine as normal as possible, and surround them with familiar toys, treats, and people.
    Good luck Sol.
    Yes, I had this done for two of my dogs and it is much easier than going into the vets office with a bunch of strangers loking at you knowing why you're there. Mine were stress free and the stress was much less for me as well, I should have thought of this, it's a little more expensive but well worth it. Thanks to Westwoody for bring that up. Good luck
    " You actually get to choose your friends, family.........well..."

Quote Originally Posted by westwoody View Post
    Good luck Sol.
    Great idea, thank you.
    I enjoy a glass of wine each day for it's health benifits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.

Veteran of Misadventures EagerBeaver's Avatar
    I remember when my sister had to put her dog down. The dog was only 9 years old but had the canine equivalent of AIDS- an immune system deficiency in which the dog was breaking out with sores in its mouth, coughing up blood, etc. My sister threw about $5000 at various veterinarian treatments. At first they were successful and the dog improved for a period of time, possibly about 6 months. But then the sores and spitting of blood came back. More veterinarian treatments and procedures and a hospitalization at the animal hospital. The dog was then released back home in a fragile condition. My sister finally made the decision to put her down after around a year of downward spiral. I was surprised the dog lasted as long as it did but in the end it was suffering rather horribly and my sister knew it wasn't going to get better.

That dog was my favorite of all of her many pets. The dog absolutely loved having its tummy rubbed, so much so it would come over to you and roll over onto its back so you could rub her tummy. The only time ever that dog got nasty was when you went into the small room where her food dish was. Unfortunately that is where the computer was back in the days of the desk top. Whenever I went in there the dog would start growling menacingly, as if to say, "better not fuck with my food or I am gonna bite your ass!!!!!!" So one had to lure the dog out of the house in order to use that room.

Good luck and make sure the Vets come clean with % chance of survival, and for how long, with any treatment. I believe my sister was given so much false hope that she wanted to believe like Mulder on the X Files. Be wary of Vets trying to justify lengthy or expensive treatments which merely prolong the inevitable.

I know it's tough. I worked on the tainted pet food (tainted with melamine) case sever years ago and speaking to the (human) parents of the injured and deceased pets was heartbreaking and humbling; some of them spent over $10,000 on vets and loved their dogs and cats more than themselves. One of my sisters too had to put down her family dog and it was hard especially on her kids who grew up with the dog. I hope there is a Haven for dogs and cats.

I know dogs can sniff out diseases (and certain cancers) on their human parents. I wish my mom had a dog before she had a stroke; a dog likely would have sensed a pending stroke and alerted us to rush my mom to the ER.

Hang in there Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Tee Nutz View Post
    Have to put my dog Kramer down, yellow lab I had for 13 years. My son called and he explained that the vet says it is time ( it all happened within a week )..
    My daughter is coming back from college on Friday and I am flying back the same day to see him for the last time. This is probably the hardest thing I have had to do in a long time.
    I understand so much your sadness !

I have an old lady dog myself of 15 years old and it is my family, my daily and comforting presence (I have her since she is a cub).
    I will have an hard time when it will be her moment to leave.

I am really sorry for you.

Adorable libertine Maria Divina's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So sorry for you. My heart pinch when I read your post STN.

I know what you are living.

I cried so much in my life when that was THAT time.

By definition all of our baby furs coloc will not survive ourselves. That's the saddest part, but if you gave him a good life, and also, a good departure when it is a necessity, that's exactly what they are expecting us to do for them.

I'm giving you one of the best thought about dogs I read:

"Be the person your dog think you are"

My sincere condoleances STN.

At time like these it important to remember the good time and not the bad. Sorry for your loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast