Thread: ''The Arctic Monkeys''

proud infidel

Thumbs down ''The Arctic Monkeys''

Hi fellow Merbites,

has anyone heard about this new rock phenom hailing out of Sheffield, England, called ''The Arctic Monkeys''? Judging by the huge success of their debut album, one might think they could be the 21st century's answer to the Beatles. Did you know that they're coming to the Montreal Spectrum later this month? Has anyone purchased any tickets yet? Would anyone have any opinion about their music? These guys apparently are all the rage in England at the moment, as their debut album has beaten all sales records for a debut album in only its first few weeks! What gives? And what surprises me even more is that I read in the Mirror yesterday that before 3 years ago, no one in the band had yet begun playing a musical instrument!! For those of you who are into the music scene, do you think these guys could actually make it in North America?

fml

Village Idiot
    The band was extremely hyped, and there hasn't been anything really breakthrough in the music scene for a little while. Reviews seem to be either exceedingly positive or exceedingly negative.

Check metacritic for a good compilation.

Last album I bought was Snow Patrol. Not terrible, not bad. I wouldn't give it a 10.

monkeys

a freind of my was talking about them the other,i checked out few tunes seem intertesting.he's going to see them at the spectrum for 15$(great price for a live band.their not the next big thing,look at the strokes 2 great albums and the new ones sucks(they sound burnout).later

The Monkeys (no, NOT The Monkees!) aren't bad, but don't be swayed by the hype - that's the name of the game in the music biz and it's even bigger in England where "music journalists" try to top each other in every way - gotta keep getting paycheques to feed the various habits

I like their music, but to me seems that last, at the exact same date, we were saying the same thing about Kasabian! The story repeats itself.

ChuckMtl.
    SP____Liked___Not_Liked_______$
    189____144_______45_________28920
    (Retired since 2017/11/11)

Village Idiot
    Gave Snow Patrol another listen. I stand by my previous statement, that the album isn't a "10". But i'd say it's one of the best I've bought in the last few years.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    Judging by the huge success of their debut album, one might think they could be the 21st century's answer to the Beatles. fml
    I recall the same statements being made about the Bay City Rollers and The Knack back in the 1970s.

FML2, are you familiar with these bands? If I called up the Montreal Spectrum's manager and I told him I was a promoter looking to book dates for a reunion tour for either of the above noted bands, how long would it be before he hung up the phone on me?

proud infidel
    Beav,

check this out.

www.purevolume.com/arcticmonkeys

I just saw them and it was really awesome, but really short, like this text.

ChuckMtl.
    SP____Liked___Not_Liked_______$
    189____144_______45_________28920
    (Retired since 2017/11/11)

uninformed informant
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    I recall the same statements being made about the Bay City Rollers and The Knack back in the 1970s.

FML2, are you familiar with these bands? If I called up the Montreal Spectrum's manager and I told him I was a promoter looking to book dates for a reunion tour for either of the above noted bands, how long would it be before he hung up the phone on me?
    Well at least if the guy asks who The Knack is you can start singing my Sharona. not sure what the bay city rollers did though...

I'd wager the call could last between 2 and 10 minutes depending on how gullible the manager is
    Inherited Will, the destiny of an age and the dreams of its people. These things will not be stopped.
    As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom. They will never cease to be.

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckMtl
    I just saw them and it was really awesome, but really short, like this text.

ChuckMtl.
    Hey ChuckMtl,

I heard a couple of days ago that the show had already been sold out. I guess the show was short because they haven't really had the time yet to build a reasonably large musical repertoire.

fml