Thread: 2 Thumbs up for Conan!

proud infidel

Thumbs down 2 Thumbs up for Conan!

I don't know if anyone here got to see it, but late-night talk-show host Conan O'brien's show was awesome last night, as it was entirely devoted to his recent trip to Finland. For those who do not know, a few weeks ago, as the Finnish president, a woman, was running in Finland's presidential elections, Conan unknowingly helped her get elected by pointed out on national tv how much he and the would-be prez shared strikingly similar facial features . Well, after watching last night's show, one can presume that Conan must have made a point to not make the same mistakes as those he made during his catastrophic trip to Canada a few years back, in which he was accused of making tasteless, offensive, if not outright racist, jokes at the expense of French Canadians. Well, nothing of that nature occured over in Finland, as Conan showed nothing but the utmost respect and reverence toward the Finnish people. Well done, Conan!

fml

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    Well, after watching last night's show, one can presume that Conan must have made a point to not make the same mistakes as those he made during his catastrophic trip to Canada a few years back, in which he was accused of making tasteless, offensive, if not outright racist, jokes at the expense of French Canadians.
    Do you have a link to those comments Conan made, I'd love to read them...Oh come on, you gotta have a sense of humour about these! I always love it on the Simpsons when they refer to Quebec (my favorite joke ever: the episode where the Simpsons meet Bill Clinton, he picks up the phone and says: "oh crap...Quebec's got the bomb!!!" ).

Come ON!! you gotta love these! We must learn to laugh at ourselves and our idiosyncracies..It's one thing to say, for example, Quebec is a rat-infested cesspool---that's unacceptable, but if you have a comedian portraying us as violin-playing lumberjacks flinging gravied fries, I say bring it on! It's part of our heritage, let's promote it...

I know we are a lot more self-aware here than those extremists in the muslim world, or am I wrong...

In any case, congrats to the new Finnish prez

Conan is absolutely hysterical! He's got an amazing sense of humor and his self deprecating humor is off the wall at times. He's been my favorite late night host for at least 6 years now and I found his trip to TO last year to be an absolute riot. People need not be so sensitive to comedians and just have to chill out and have a good laugh.

Anyone catch Salma Hayek on his show Thursday night? Phewww, she's so amazingly hot and she bears an incredibly striking resemblance to a local Boston companion I had the pleasure of spending many, many hours with in the past

Salma Hayek: hot!
    Conan O'Brian: not!

Quote Originally Posted by joelcairo
    Salma Hayek: hot!
    Conan O'Brian: not!
    I should hope you don't think Conan's hot

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by shijak
    Do you have a link to those comments Conan made, I'd love to read them...Oh come on, you gotta have a sense of humour about these! I always love it on the Simpsons when they refer to Quebec (my favorite joke ever: the episode where the Simpsons meet Bill Clinton, he picks up the phone and says: "oh crap...Quebec's got the bomb!!!" ).

Come ON!! you gotta love these! We must learn to laugh at ourselves and our idiosyncracies..It's one thing to say, for example, Quebec is a rat-infested cesspool---that's unacceptable, but if you have a comedian portraying us as violin-playing lumberjacks flinging gravied fries, I say bring it on! It's part of our heritage, let's promote it...

I know we are a lot more self-aware here than those extremists in the muslim world, or am I wrong...

In any case, congrats to the new Finnish prez
    Shijak,

you're probably right, and ''racist'' was too strong a word. I'll try to find his quotes. If I remember correctly, he said, among other things, that French People were ugly and boring
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 03-12-2006 at 02:45 AM.

proud infidel
    Shijak,

ok i've found a relevant news story that includes some of Conan's controversial comments.

www.slate.com/id/2095543/

proud infidel
    Shijak,

this was Conan's official apology to French Canadians

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...,00.html?tnews

For god's sake...that's IT?!?

"So you're French and Canadian, yes?" the puppet said in one of the offending segments. "So you're obnoxious and dull." If anybody missed the subtle humor, it was followed with these gems: "You're in North America. ... Learn the language!" and "I can tell you're French. … You have that proud expression, that superior look, and I can smell your crotch from here."

Good god, people are just too full of themselves if they get all hot and boothered by these kinds of comments...I laughed my ass off reading them.

People, the Late night show character that said these comments was Triumph, the INSULT comic dog, not Lambchop the happy puppet!!! Just as I laugh when Ed the sock Puppet on Muchmusic tears a new hole when he lampoons some mainstream singers' cheezy music videos, I'll laugh along with Triumph...

He's basically taking well known stereotypes about canadians (being dull, as opposed to gloryhounds like the states...), and Parisians (probably they couldn't come up with a Quebequer stereotype the average viewer would recognize and this was the closest they could get...). You know, if the writing crew hadn't brought in the tried-and-true "dull" stereotype for canadians, they probably would have borrowed the one about britishers with their bad teeth and awful cooking...

I thought Conan's plea for forgiveness unnecessary, but the way he did it was pretty funny...

Why is anyone listening to this guy?!?

"It's wrong to spread the worst possible ethnic prejudices about Quebecers, which already exist in Canada," Jean Dorion, president of the Quebec nationalist Saint-Jean-Baptiste Society, told the Associated Press.

Ou si vous prιfιrez, pourquoi persiste-t'on a ιcouter ce type?!?

This response was in the article linked by Femaleluver. "WORST POSSIBLE" ethnic prejudices? Wake up, dude, I think there are countries out there in the world that have it a lot worse than being told their crotch smells...(hahaha!I love that one!) But of course, we the quebecois are absolutely perfect in every way so all of you from other places worship us!!! WORSHIP US for all our glory!!!

Can anyone tell I'm feeling quite sarcastic this morning?!?

Oliver, DAMN RIGHT!!!

Veteran of Misadventures
    You guys have to realize that Conan is a Harvard graduate, and the nature of Harvard graduates is to mock those who are not Harvard graduates, because those who have not graduated from Harvard are lower, less evolved forms of humans. If you understand and accept this, you can deal with Conan's jokes.

I am not a particularly big fan of his, but then again I never watch much late night TV due to my biological clock. He does seem like a very intelligent guy, which he must be if he went to Harvard.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    You guys have to realize that Conan is a Harvard graduate, and the nature of Harvard graduates is to mock those who are not Harvard graduates, because those who have not graduated from Harvard are lower, less evolved forms of humans. If you understand and accept this, you can deal with Conan's jokes.

I am not a particularly big fan of his, but then again I never watch much late night TV due to my biological clock. He does seem like a very intelligent guy, which he must be if he went to Harvard.
    Well, that kind of attitude helped him out quite a bit when he was a producer and head writer for the Simpsons before he got the nod as the host for Late Night. When people talk about the Simpsons' best years as a show, when it could do no wrong and delivered some of its funniest bits, Conan was right there (seasons 2 to 4 if I remember it well...)

The man is a comic genius! I also find the Triumph dog character to be incredibly funny as well, sure it's juvenile but it's something to be appreciated by people with strange or sick senses of humor which I definitely qualify for.

Conan is a god in Finland :
    http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/....ap/index.html

How can you not like this guy? He's not afraid to poke fun of himself and as it was pointed out earlier, he's an intelligent guy.

I can't wait to see him take over Jay in 2009, he's going to kill Letterman (if he's still around) who's never been able to overtake The Tonight Show in the ratings.

If you like late night talk shows, you should watch the Larry Sanders show (DVD's), it went off the air in 1998. It features Gary Shandling (host), Rip Torn (producer) and Jeffrey Tambor (sidekick). It's a unique behind the scenes talk show life. Gary Shandling is hilarious.

IMHO, the Larry Sanders show is one of the best TV shows after SEINFELD. I'm trying to buy the complete season but it seems that only year 1 was released

A sucker is born every NY minute.

That dog puppet is always talking about crotch & butt smelling.