Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

The Da Vinci Code

One cannot switch on the TV or go to the movies without seeing the preview. TDVC hits the silverscreen May 19, 2006, I can't wait. THE PREVIEW LOOKS AWESOME!!!

How can a movie directed by Ron Howard go wrong with a cast like that:

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon
    Ian Mc Kellen as Sir Leigh Teabing
    Jean Reno as Bezu Fache
    Paul Bettany as Silas
    Alfred Molina as Bishop Aringarosa
    Audrey Tautou as Sophie Neveu

I, always the skeptical type, rarely goes with the hype. But when I picked the book, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in 2 days.

Then I read Angels & Demons. Dan Brown knows how to tell a story but he tends to lose track at the end and he has to hasten the pace and close the final chapter. Other than that, how millions of readers go wrong?

I just hope the movie surpasses the book, only 2 movies IMHO did that : Silence of the lambs and Marathon man.

A sucker is born every NY minute.

Veteran of Misadventures
    CW,

Marathon Man was a great movie, especially when Laurence Olivier tortured Dustin Hoffman by drilling his teeth without anesthesia. Incredible scene.

As for the Da Vinci Code, I read the book and was not so impressed with it. I think what really made the book was the controversial theme. It did hold my interest, but it was hardly the best novel I have read in recent years. I think the movie probably will be better because they can hash out some of the wrinkles in the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    CW,

Marathon Man was a great movie, especially when Laurence Olivier tortured Dustin Hoffman by drilling his teeth without anesthesia. Incredible scene.

As for the Da Vinci Code, I read the book and was not so impressed with it. I think what really made the book was the controversial theme. It did hold my interest, but it was hardly the best novel I have read in recent years. I think the movie probably will be better because they can hash out some of the wrinkles in the plot.
    What a movie. SIR Laurence Olivier was scary with those round glasses, so did you go to the dentist after seeing the movie? One of the best movies by D. Hoffman. What about Roy Scheider, what a way to die..

Regarding Dan Brown, after reading Angels & Demons, I didn't bother buy his other books. I already knew his style and also lost interest.

Paul Bettany as Silas is a scary dude...

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by CryWolf
    I just hope the movie surpasses the book, only 2 movies IMHO did that : Silence of the lambs and Marathon man.
    Ever hear of:

1) Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
    2) The Godfather (Mario Puzo)
    3) Doctor Zhivago (Boris Pasternak)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Ever hear of:

All great books and great movies. I would add "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (Ken Kelsey), one of the best books and movies of all time.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Ever hear of:

I never read Mario Puzo's novel but Godfather is my no. 1 movie.

Ditto for GWW and Doctor Zhivago.

When I mentioned Silence and Marathon, I was talking about my own taste and experience.

I'm not a literary expert as you are, Doc.

Nice contri, spidey!

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by CryWolf
    How can a movie directed by Ron Howard go wrong with a cast like that:

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon
    Ian Mc Kellen as Sir Leigh Teabing
    Jean Reno as Bezu Fache
    Paul Bettany as Silas
    Alfred Molina as Bishop Aringarosa
    Audrey Tautou as Sophie Neveu
    CryWolf,

I wish an all-star cast and a great filmmaker could be enough to always guarantee a great movie, but history has shown us otherwise. This past weekend I went to see the movie ''Inside Man'', starring such great actors as Jody Foster, Clive Owens, Denzel Washington and William Dafoe, and directed by famed filmmaker, Spike Lee. Well, the movie, all in all, was ok, but it was far from being great, thus, once again, proving that in filmmaking nothing's ever guaranteed.

fml

How can a movie directed by Ron Howard go wrong with a cast like that.
    Because it's still Ron Howard. Expect solid but heavyhanded, manipulative, unoriginal, not very subtle work. Granted he did manage to show at least some restraint in Cinderella Man so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    CryWolf,

I wish an all-star cast and a great filmmaker could be enough to always guarantee a great movie, but history has shown us otherwise. This past weekend I went to see the movie ''Inside Man'', starring such great actors as Jody Foster, Clive Owens, Denzel Washington and William Dafoe, and directed by famed filmmaker, Spike Lee. Well, the movie, all in all, was ok, but it was far from being great, thus, once again, proving that in filmmaking nothing's ever guaranteed.

fml
    Thanks for the heads up FL2.

I'm not really a fan of Spike Lee and D. Washington (too overindulgent in his acting), but the critics are craving about the movie.

Personnaly, I think the movie is going to do well in the box office because of the name and the actors, but I don't think its going to be as well.
    When you read the book, you get to imagine everything. For those who have read the book and then go see the movie, I think we will be dispointed... Why? Because they we impose ideas about the movie that we would have thought different and in most cases better. You can't make a movie as well as the book. Its a known fact!

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman05
    I've got Angels and Demons in December 2004 as a Christmas gift and it took me about 3 days to finish the book. Then I moved to Da Vinci Code and it took me a few other days to finish the book. I was starting to be a fan of Dan Brown until I read his other book "Digital fortress". This book deals with a virus attacking the computers of the NSA . As computer science/engineering is my main field I noticed some flaws in the book. Minor falws, but still obvious flaws. So, I thought that "Da Vinci code" and "Angels and demons" might contain flaws as well.

S'man:

Have you read "Deception Point" ? I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed DVC & A&D. Have not yet read "Digital Fortress".

When addressing this note I could not help but think about the famous "Assman" episode of Seinfeld...enjoyed that !

Books vs Movies

Quote Originally Posted by mtlman2005
    When you read the book, you get to imagine everything. For those who have read the book and then go see the movie, I think we will be dispointed... Why? Because they we impose ideas about the movie that we would have thought different and in most cases better. You can't make a movie as well as the book. Its a known fact!
    Normally, that’s the case. Like a few others in this thread, I was a huge fan of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. I then saw it as a play, which was outstanding. When I heard that the movie had Jack Nicholson playing Randle McMurphy, I almost got sick. How could a 5’ 9” 160-pound guy play the big, burly Irishman. Boy, was I wrong! Nicholson was amazing and so was the movie. So, it’s possible for movies to meet or exceed your expectations for an adaptation from a book, but it is quite rare. Anybody have other examples of favorite books that have worked well on BOTH stage and screen?

I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie version. It's amazing the changes made in characters, not to mention what is edited out altogether. If you have ever read Jurassic Park and it's sequel you will see that the movies had very little in common with the books other than the basic outline.
    I am anxious to see the DaVinci Code but I haven't read the book yet. I'll have to pick it up before I see the film. But I think that people take it too seriously...it's just a work of fiction with little basis in truth. Kind of like the bible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast