Thread: Good news: American Hostage Jill Carroll is Released Unharmed

Thumbs down Good news: American Hostage Jill Carroll is Released Unharmed

American hostage Jill Carroll, the freelance journalist who was kidnapped in Baghdad January 7, has been released unharmed, The Christian Science Monitor said today. Carroll called her father in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, to let him know she was safe, officials and newspaper staff said. "This is a wonderful day," said the paper's David Cook.

Working rage-aholic
    I've watched this story and I'm so happy that she's safe.
    Because the date of her execution had been pushed back more than once, I had the feeling that unlike many others, she would be released alive. I wonder if her captors had qualms about taking the life of a female captive in cold blood???
    All that matters is that she's safe, I guess, but I can't help but wonder about that, and the details of her release. As I understand, she was released, not rescued, but maybe someone can shed more info?
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

Quote Originally Posted by btyger
    All that matters is that she's safe, I guess, but I can't help but wonder about that, and the details of her release. As I understand, she was released, not rescued, but maybe someone can shed more info?
    btyger,

She was released and in an interview with CBS, she said that her captors treated her very well. I am also glad she is safe. She is a courageous and intelligent woman whose heart is in the right place.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Kaempferrand
    Why do I have a feeling that something about this particular "kidnapping" does not jive.
    Kaempferrand,

What are you implying - that it was staged? Her translator was brutally murdered...what exactly doesn't jive?

Working rage-aholic
    Kaempf, no offense, but why don't you ease up?
    Imagine you've just been released from 3 months of captivity. You didn't know if you would live or die. Within a day of your release, conspiracy theorists everywhere are blogging about how your kidnapping was staged, without so much as a shred of proof. How would you feel? And you're not the only one reacting this way.

Just because she has Stockholm Syndrome (if indeed she does) doesn't mean the whole thing was staged.

proud infidel
    Btiger,

what do you mean by ''Stockholm syndrome''? By the way, conspiracy theories in this case have been floating for a certain time now. Some have argued that her various appearances on video during her captivity appeared staged, as her demeanour strangely shifted from panicked and in tears to somewhat calm amnd relaxed. That, combined with the fact that the deadline was always getting pushed back, raised some question marks. Personnally, I have trouble believing that she staged it all, although since she does speak Arabic fluently, maybe she got brainwashed by her captors ŕ la Patricia Hearst during her captivity? Yesterday on Fox radio, the circumstances surrounding her released were described as ''murky at best''.

fml

Working rage-aholic
    Stockholm Syndrome is when a captive comes to identify with and become dependent on their captors. It's common, and not the victims fault.

I see alot of conspiracy theorists (not necessarily on this board) saying things that have got to be pretty hurtful to a person in her situation.
    Worse, they're based on shreds of pathetic circumstancial evidence-i.e., the date getting pushed back, the fact that she spoke Arabic. These prove nothing.
    As for her videos, if your life depended on your ability to act and speak in front of a camera, I think you'd be capable of a pretty decent acting job, too. Put yourself in her position-your translator's just been killed, and you're held by gunmen. You don't know when they might suddenly decide to rape, torture or kill you. After a while, you realize they're not going to rape or torture you, but they may kill you at any time.

Yes, the details of her release were murky, but if Fox News is insinuating it was staged, shame on them.