Thread: Almost 10,000 MERB members

Almost 10,000 MERB members

I just checked, and the main vbulletin page (under Board Statistics) says (as of 4:50 PM EDT) that MERB has 9,995 members. So 10,000 is not far off.
    Congrats Fred!

CK
    Clark
    ------
    MOONEY: Sergeant, I swear! Flying! With a big red cape! And bright red boots as well! Then, quick as a wink - he was gone! Flew up in the air again, he did. Like a big blue bird!
    SERGEANT: Like a big blue bird....with bright red boots! Why don't you take the rest of the night off now, Mooney. Go back to Murphy's bar and finish what you plainly started. I'll be off myself in a bit and join ya there...

Veteran of Misadventures
    Does that number include bogus multiple handles that were banned, or just currently registered handles?

Veteran of Misadventures
    ck_nj,

I have similar questions to Daringly. I don't think any congratulations are in order until we get an explanation of what that number actually means. The only number that matters is currently registered legitimate handles that are being used by one person. If the registered members number of 9,995 includes multiple handles that were or should be banned, then it is frankly a fraudulent number that means nothing.

Veteran of Misadventures
    M5 is pretty good at banning multiple handles, but the question remains as to whether these banned handles are part of the number or not. The question needs to be answered. We have not been told what the number 9,995 means. Does it mean all registered handles? Or just currently registered, active handles?

Board Stats

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    M5 is pretty good at banning multiple handles, but the question remains as to whether these banned handles are part of the number or not. The question needs to be answered. We have not been told what the number 9,995 means. Does it mean all registered handles? Or just currently registered, active handles?
    See previous data:

https://merb.cc/vbulletin/showthread...ht=board+stats

52% of the registered users never posted and 33% had between 1 and 10 posts.Effectively over 80% rarely or never post.Why someone would register and not post is an interesting question.These numbers should remain fairly constant over time.

Assuming app 200 banned handles on 10 000 would yield 2% so it would not be a significant difference.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by eastender
    See previous data: Assuming app 200 banned handles on 10 000 would yield 2% so it would not be a significant difference.
    I am not ready to assume how many banned handles there are, but even if there have been 200, I would like to know whether those 200 are part of the 9,995, or not, for having registered at one time. Accuracy still means something to some of us.

I have a theory as to why some people register and never post. It's been mentioned to me that the PM function is the single greatest reason for registering and never posting. Some of the non-posting registered handles are fraudulently created handles, registered by other well known posters but are laying dormant until needed at some point in the future. Some register simply to be able to use the new post function, with no intention of ever posting. You can't use the new post function unless you register. Some register to be able to vote in a poll. I have other theories for this phenomenon as well.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 04-26-2006 at 08:56 PM.

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    ck_nj,

I have similar questions to Daringly. I don't think any congratulations are in order until we get an explanation of what that number actually means. The only number that matters is currently registered legitimate handles that are being used by one person. If the registered members number of 9,995 includes multiple handles that were or should be banned, then it is frankly a fraudulent number that means nothing.
    I agree. Numbers can be misleading, and sometimes things are just a matter of perspective. If one compared this figure with, say, TERB's numbers, and perhaps even PERB's, maybe you'd chill a bit. A better measure of success would probably be a steadily rising monthly rate of new members.

fml