View Poll Results: Polygamy: are you for or against?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • for

15 39.47%
  • against

16 42.11%
  • no opinion

7 18.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polygamy: are you for or against?

proud infidel

Polygamy: are you for or against?

1- for

2-against

3- no opinion

Why would you want n times the trouble ????
    Last edited by chef; 05-15-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chefplus
    Why would you want n times the trouble ╔╔╔
    To get n times the BBFS from your wives.

Don't try it in the US. Your picture ends up on the FBI's Top 10 Most Wanted List, right next to OBL's.

i believe polygamy is immoral. not from the woman's point of view, but from the man's point of view. one man that takes 5 wives means that 4 other men don't have wives. actually, polygyny is probably more tolerable.

Like one isn't enough...

If you want to shorten your lifespan, become a polygamist....

hah

Been married three times. It was like polygamy, but sort of stretched out over a longer period of time.

proud infidel
    As some may already know, polygamy has been much talked about in the news lately, with the FBI in pursuit of that polygamist cult leader down in Texas who's on its most wanted list. Which got me thinking why exactly does polygamy create such a stir? Perhaps it is because of our christian origins? And from a female standpoint, it doesn't seem to have too much appeal, I guess, but given that men have an inherent need to spread their seed whereever, however and with more or less whomever they can in order to ensure the survival of our species, it would appear to make a bit of sense that men be free to try to procreate with as many mates as possible?

fml

Working rage-aholic
    I'm not in favor of polygamy. I'm in favor of hobbying being openly condoned for married men. A long time acquaintance, who's suffered through too many years of marriage to a crazy woman said, "If only there were some kind of service for married men."
    I didn't tell him, but of course, there is. Now, if only it were socially acceptable.

As far as polygamy goes, look at these families in Utah. The wives are all hideous. They have umpteen children and wives to support. Imagine the divorce proceedings. Five times the alimony, etc. Ugh.
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

I'm not sure whether the current marriage laws should not be abolished. After all, people get married having no idea of the legal ramifications of the arrangement. I think that polygamy should be illegal, as should matrimony in general.

Check this out before you decide.

If anyones interested in an excellent dramatical portrayal of a polygamist family in Utah check out "Big Love" the newest HBO series starring Bill Paxton. The first season is nearly over(2 episodes left) but it will repeat throughout the year. Its been a real eye opener so far and I suspect HBO will be raking in more awards for its new programming. Apologies made to areas of Canada which can't get HBO but the DVD will be out by the holidays if your interested.
    "I can picture every move that a man could make
    getting lost in her loving is your first mistake

Sometimes I think its a sin
    When I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again"

Working rage-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by chowhound
    I'm not sure whether the current marriage laws should not be abolished. After all, people get married having no idea of the legal ramifications of the arrangement. I think that polygamy should be illegal, as should matrimony in general.
    Good idea.
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

Quote Originally Posted by chowhound
    Someone once said, "Divorce should not be made easier; matrimony should be made more difficult". I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by HonestAbe
    If anyones interested in an excellent dramatical portrayal of a polygamist family in Utah check out "Big Love" the newest HBO series starring Bill Paxton. Apologies made to areas of Canada which can't get HBO but the DVD will be out by the holidays if your interested.
    It does play on the Movie Network, which is a pay-channel here in Canada(meaning you have to pay an extra fee above your basic cable service). I get these channels because I have lost complete interest in the last few years for 99% of network television (Quebec, Canada and the states). I try to watch most HBO imports as they could be the only source of intelligent entertainment left (movies could learn a thing or two here)

I had dismissed Big Love when it was advertized recently as an upcoming show, as the clips selected just made it sound too goofy (it doesn't help that Bill Paxton is using his trademarked "witless" face from his early 80's movies (Terminator, Weird Science, etc.), but now I'll be sure to check it out next week

Quote Originally Posted by shijak
    It does play on the Movie Network, which is a pay-channel here in Canada(meaning you have to pay an extra fee above your basic cable service). I get these channels because I have lost complete interest in the last few years for 99% of network television (Quebec, Canada and the states). I try to watch most HBO imports as they could be the only source of intelligent entertainment left (movies could learn a thing or two here)

I had dismissed Big Love when it was advertized recently as an upcoming show, as the clips selected just made it sound too goofy (it doesn't help that Bill Paxton is using his trademarked "witless" face from his early 80's movies (Terminator, Weird Science, etc.), but now I'll be sure to check it out next week
    I know what you mean about Network television. Its like watching channel 0, if you know what I mean.

Paxton and the other cast members really sell this show well. The issues that the family faces are quite interesting and are delved into in good detail as to how one might feel under the duress of being married to multiple people. Its not the cakewalk some guys might be imagining. For instance, ever think about the income needed to support a family of 15? How about the pressure of trying to perform sexually on a consistent basis with 3 different wives who are always horny because they share one man, you! Paxton eats Viagara like candy in the show and ends up in the hospital for it. Without giving away too much I'll just say its definitely worth watching.
    "I can picture every move that a man could make
    getting lost in her loving is your first mistake

Sometimes I think its a sin
    When I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast