Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben serious but stable

Big Ben serious but stable

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

Ben Roethlisbergerwas involved in a motorcycle accident this morning, he has said in the past that he prefers to ride his bike without a helmet!

Although they do not confirm it in the story linked above, I did hear on ESPN radio earlier that he in fact was NOT wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

I sincerly hope he's ok BUT DUMBASS PUT ON A HELMET!!!
    Try everything in life at least once, except incest & maybe square dancing.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Reports indicate he broke his jaw and left sinus cavity, lost teeth and has a 9" gash in back of head. Reports indicate a plastic surgeon has been brought in. I heard that his face hit the windshield of the car with which he collided. Having seen the results of such injuries in the past, Roethlisberger may have some cosmetic issues with his appearance, but this probably won't affect his football skills.

Working rage-aholic
    I hope he's going to be alright.
    This is biker week here in New Hampshire, and last night two cyclists were killed right in my hometown. On my way from picking up my son today I passed two bikers riding without helmets. It amazes me. It's such a small inconvenience...

Every year, what 47,000 or so people are killed on American roadways. Last night I came within a hair's breadth of a bull moose on my way home. Really makes you think.

I know nobody listens, but for Christ's sakes, when you're driving, any kind of vehicle, please be careful. Next time you lose your cool because someone cuts you off, stop and think.
    Last edited by btyger; 06-12-2006 at 06:20 PM.
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

This is an old story, but if you think riding a motorcycle without a helmet is stupid, how about riding without a helmet and no footwear (?!?)

a semi-well known professional wrestler from the 80's, Kerry Von Erich, a handsome buff golden boy whose entire Texas-based family was heavily involved in that business (much like Calgary's Hart Family), had the dumb habit of riding his cycle without boots of any kind. As can be expected, he was eventually the victim of a terrible accident and had to have one of his feet amputated.

you'd think such a terrible thing would halt any athlete's sports career, but he kept on going for a few more years, even though he lost most of the mobility that made him a star. the news of his missing foot was kept from the public for the most part, except on some rare occasions where he would accidently fall to the mat and lose his boot, surprising everybody in the audience who suddenly noticed the man's missing appendage.

Helmet choice

The saying that keeps rolling around in my head when I hear stories of motorcycle riders being injured while not wearing a helmet is:

Those who don't wear a helmet have very little to protect anyway!

Think about it.

I hope that Ben is alright and completely recovers.

Voyager

ps. before anyone jumps on me, I've been riding for over 30 years. I always wear a helmet no matter what the laws of the state or province I am in.
    "No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied—it speaks in silence to the very core of your being."
    -Ansel Adams

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler
    I believe Seinfeld said it best:

"There are many things you can point to as proof that the human is not smart. But my personal favorite would have to be that we needed to invent the helmet. What was happening, apparently, was that we were involved in a lot of activities that were cracking our heads. We chose not to avoid doing those activities but, instead, to come up with some sort of device to help us enjoy our head-cracking lifestyles. And even that didn't work because not enough people were wearing them so we had to come up with the helmet law. Which is even stupider, the idea behind the helmet law being to preserve a brain whose judgment is so poor, it does not even try to avoid the cracking of the head it's in."
    Kepler,

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Veteran of Misadventures

Ben Interviewed About Motorcycling

Here's a link to a 2005 interview Roethlisberger gave to ESPN about his motorcycle riding habit:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2481004

Veteran of Misadventures

Update

Just saw video of the accident scene and the vehicles. Ben's face impacted the far right passenger side windshield of a Chrysler New Yorker. An eyewitness claimed the 62 year old woman driving the Chrysler suddenly turned left in front of Ben, then he hit her and was thrown off the bike face first into the windshield. The windshield had a pretty good groove in it where Ben's face hit. It was actually starred in two places and I assume possibly his arm starred the other part of the windshield.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 06-12-2006 at 09:24 PM.

As a medic (and nursing student) I've personally seen people alive that would have died had they not been wearing a helmet, and those that may possibly have lived but died because they were not.

Same applies to seat belts.

As far as his performance as an athlete....if he suffered a severe enough concussion then his coordination, vision, field of depth, verbal communication abilities, etc may or may not be affected. It's difficult to tell in the first few days after a trauma.

Seriously, trust me...I have experience in these matters.
    "better to be shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube"

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic_565
    .if he suffered a severe enough concussion then his coordination, vision, field of depth, verbal communication abilities, etc may or may not be affected.
    Early reports indicate there was no traumatic injury to the brain, just multiple facial fractures due to face hitting windshield.

My point is..helmets and seatbelts save live.

Yes...I've been to the rare accident where a person is elected from a vehicle and walks away.

But that's the exception, not the rule and certainly no rationale NOT to wear seatbelts.
    "better to be shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube"

No helmet No license???

It appears that not only was Big Ben driving without a helmet but also without a MOTORCYCLE LICENSE

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2482306

In other related "Young gifted althletes with everything to loose but who still feel the need to behave like a Jackass" news, former Duke baller JJ Redick was arrested yesterday for DWI 16 days before the upcoming NBA draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2482061
    Try everything in life at least once, except incest & maybe square dancing.

Veteran of Misadventures

Ben Upgraded To Fair Condition!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2482701

He may be stupid, but he is one tough SOB! His face crushed that Chrysler's windshield, and Ben is coming back to play but the Chrysler isn't!

Medic 565, it's now being revealed that Ben did suffer a mild concussion, which is not a surprise.

Veteran of Misadventures

Ben's injuries

Injuries suffered by Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, according to Dr. Larry M. Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh:

• fractures to his upper and lower jaws
    • mild concussion
    • fractured nose
    • fractured facial bones
    • multiple head lacerations
    • multiple abrasions and contusions
    • lost two teeth
    • chipped several teeth
    • no evidence of major structural damage to knees
    • CT scan of brain showed no injury

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    He may be stupid, but he is one tough SOB! His face crushed that Chrysler's windshield, and Ben is coming back to play but the Chrysler isn't!

Medic 565, it's now being revealed that Ben did suffer a mild concussion, which is not a surprise.
    EB,

I have personally witnessed a guy on a motorcycle wipe out in front of my eyes. It was scary - do not know if he made it. Big Ben will be lucky if he can come out of this and still play football. He better wear his helmet next time...if he rides again.

GG

P.S. Maybe now all those studs that don't wear helmets will think twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast