Thread: Some Fourth of July political thoughts

Working rage-aholic

Some Fourth of July political thoughts

[quote=bond_james_bond]Unfortunately, our government seems to give the First Amendment to Neo-Nazis, but not to journalists, johns, panhandlers, sex offenders, etc. But that's a whole other can of worms [quote=bond_james_bond]

This got me thinking.

In "Fight Club Politics," Juliet Eilperin says the media loves to portray two Americas, one with communities full of gun toting (and no doubt confederate flag waving) religious conservatives, and the other with chardonnay sipping (and no doubt Ivy League educated) atheist liberal in the other.
    Eilperin says, "The irony is that while many US voters are more complex than these stereotypes, sometimes their elected representatives are not."

I agree. After 230 years, (many of) our rank and file citizens are sophisticated tech-savy and educated, while our "leaders" are often stereotypical pandering rubes. I.E., George W. How did we get here?

Through divide and conquer political strategies. What's wrong with our melting pot? Major organization like unions, the two major political parties, religions and even ethnic groups, which, if we were really enlightened, we'd learn to look beyond. How else do you control 300 million people? That, and turning us into consumer junkies doesn't hurt.

I have no idea who to vote for at this point. I can't support either party. But I have to vote against both for differing reasons, and yet, I abhor the thought of throwing away my vote on a libertarian candidate who'll get one tenth of one percent.

What of my political views? Am I a stereotype? I detest white liberal apologists who excuse any heinous action committed by a minority, while insulting other white people for the usual stereotypes: we can't dance, we're too staid, we're narrow minded. Hey asshole, what are you?

I loathe religious conservatives. Born agains should get a grip. Another means of control over the masses. Force them to adhere to a bunch of mutli thousand year old superstitions many of which have been proven false.
    I don't like liberal catholics. In fact, I hate any large and powerful church or religious group. The only difference between a cult and the big three religions are the numbers of people who believe in them.

Don't believe me? Look at the priests who raped little boys for the last couple of generations and the way they were handled. In Boston, Cardinal Law not only didn't punish them, he moved them into other parishes where they could rape more little boys. Look at the Muslims preaching intolerance, ultra conservative adherance to the Qoran, mysogyny, and sometimes even violence against the west.
    And I won't leave out the liberal Jews, either. They're the white liberal apologists. And lest you think I'm a bigot, I'm not. Harrison Ford and I have two things in common: we're both a quarter Jewish, and we're both good looking. Alright, he's good looking, anyway.

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of these religions. Fuck, the Qoran and the Bible are two of the most interesting books ever written by man. But they're PARABLES, not literal truth, and not a basis for legislation.
    And that's just my rant on religion.
    I don't like doctors, either. Especially the AMA. Another god awful union, probably the most powerful one in the land.
    Ironically though, I like lawyers. I especially like civil trial lawyers. Sue all the doctors, I say. Overpaid, arrogant and overrated...then again, maybe my pov would be different if I'd been unfortunate enough to have more physical ailments in my lifetime.
    I don't like cops, but I'm the first to say they're grossly underpaid. The only people more underpaid are soldiers. I'd gladly see cops paid more, in exchange for say, some cops who are not overgrown school yard bullies with an adolescent mentality and a penchant for violence. Don't believe me? Ever watch COPS? Who are the thugs here?

I don't like the NRA, or what they stand for, but I own guns, and will always defend the 2nd amendment. Go figure. I live in New Hampshire which has some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country. We also have the lowest violent crime rate in the nation. It's no coincidence. People are killers, guns are devices.

I don't smoke and hate the smell, but I defend smokers and think it's a shame that their ostracized like criminals. Speaking of criminals, I think it's a crime that there are two million people in jail in America at any given time. It's a drain and a burden on the rest of us, and in many cases it's unfair.
    I support the legalization of most drugs, and I view pharmaceutical companies as criminal. Yet, I'll gladly take a prescription when I need one, hell I'm not shy about telling a doctor which one I want.

I'm anti death penalty, too, but I'm not a pacifist and I can't fathom holding a vigil for a killer. It's almost as sick as viewing an execution. I'm pro-choice, but I think abortion is a bad thing.

I support the war in Afghanistan and have a lot of bad feelings towards the middle east and the Muslim world, but I spoke against the war in Iraq from the start as an unecessary waste of life and other valuable resources

I'm soon to be divorced and I rant against conservatives who so much as utter the phrase, "family values." Yet I live next to my soon to be ex-wife, and cherish my son. I sometimes let him sleep in my bed, not because he cries in his crib, but because I like it when he falls asleep on my chest.

I detest Ivy league elitists and like rednecks, though I agree with the elitists more often. When I look at the two parties, I'm so confused.

I'm a muddled mess of a mut, and I don't see how two parties can possibly cover the range of issues and people that comprise America. Then again, is a numerous party system better? Such systems saw guys like Hitler and Jesse Ventura elected.

Now I'm going to light some firecrackers, because here in New Hampshire, we still have the freedom to do so, unlike Massachusetts, where you can't own firecrackers, drive without a seatbelt or do anything dangerous or fun. Maybe I'll get drunk and blow off my hand, since we have liquor stores right on the interstate.

Happy Fourth of Fucking July everybody

PS-If I've failed to offend you or your ethnic or social group, please let me know so I can include you on my shit list.
    Last edited by btyger; 07-04-2006 at 12:09 PM.
    Why are homely people discriminated against...we're the majority

btyger, you forgot to state your position on gay marriage.

Here's to you Bytger. I agree with just about everything you said and I like the way you said it. Only exceptions: 1. Smokers should have the right to kill themselves but no one else, so fuck their "rights", and 2. I'm all FOR the death penalty. Let's stop coddling these sacks of shit and let's clean up the planet by disposing of them.

Working rage-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    btyger, you forgot to state your position on gay marriage.
    I think I angered enough people for one day.

I'm grateful no one has tried to assassinate me. Anyway, I feel lucky to live in America, and especially in New Hampshire despite all my pissing and moaning. Anyway, the day I stop pissing and moaning is the day I stop caring.

My biggest upset is, as BDC said, there is little middle ground left in American politics, and no compromising. The Republican party is very efficient, and good at passing legislation, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I will have to rethink some of my hostility towards the police after talking to a Slovakian friend today. She told me their police are a laughinstock and totally corrupt. The reason so few people are in jail in Europe, at least in her opinion, isn't that there are fewers criminals, but that criminals aren't punished. I'll take our situation over theirs if that's true. And yes, cops are underpaid, and there's nobody more underappreciated than a cop with the RIGHT temperment.

Working rage-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by joelcairo
    Here's to you Bytger. I agree with just about everything you said and I like the way you said it. Only exceptions: 1. Smokers should have the right to kill themselves but no one else, so fuck their "rights", and 2. I'm all FOR the death penalty. Let's stop coddling these sacks of shit and let's clean up the planet by disposing of them.
    I agree with you about smoking...I don't want to smell it, either. I especially don't want anyone smoking around my son. I just don't understand the hostility some show towards smokers. If they could quit, I'm sure they would. It's detrimental to their wallet.

As for the death penalty, that's a tough argument. I used to be pro. My Slovakian friend surprised me by saying she is pro death penalty. I don't think there's a good answer...

Nice post BT, thought provoking and insightful as to how there really is no stereotypical American. Certainly demographics and education play a part in what a mess our country is in but there are so many things we all can agree on that it is a sin that our goverment actually accomplishes so little that would actually benefit the American people.

I have always believed that the reason for this is that there are a very limited number of subjects which can be brought up due to political considerations for special interest groups, namely corporations. The electoral process is scandalous at best with all the money involved.

We need LEADERS who aren't afraid to speak their mind for fear of who they will offend no matter what term they are in. We need LEADERS who will take note of what the MAJORITY of their constituents want and work to deliver it to them, not barter the meat of it away in deals with the devil. Whens the last time we had a LEADER? Someone who wasn't being controlled by the "elite" puppeteer. Will we ever have a TRUE leader again?
    "I can picture every move that a man could make
    getting lost in her loving is your first mistake

Sometimes I think its a sin
    When I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again"