Thread: Bagels in Montreal?

Bagels in Montreal?

As a come-from-away visiting Montreal fairly regularly, where can I get good bagels, preferably early in the morning 6a.m.-8a.m.

Thanks

Bagels

You can read about our Montreal-Style Bagels here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_bagel

And you got to go where it all began:

Fairmount Bagel: www.fairmountbagel.com/

St-Viateur Bagel: www.stviateurbagel.com/

Thanks, I must have driven right by St. Viateur and missed it.

Next time, after Jessica and Alexia.

Best MTL Bagel

Traveller:

I vote for Fairmont Bagel as the Best Bagel in Montreal. St. Viateur is #2 IMHO. Both are great.

I am fairly addicted to the Fairmont Bagel, and visit at odd hours. To beat the rush, try going at 2:30-3:00 AM just before the bars close. No line-ups. Used to be a big rush after Saturday nite Habs games. They bake 24 hours/day, so bagels are always fresh n warm. Some bagel tips:

1) NEVER eat a hot bagel right out of the oven; you will be destroyed.
    2) If you can't wait, roll down the window, hold the hot bagel outside and drive x 5 minutes (works best in January!)
    3) Try the special "Matzoh Board" with sesame or onion. A real treat but not always available. Warning: Highly addictive!

I enjoy St. Viateur bagels. They are open 24 hours with many locations. My favorite is there pobby seed bagel with there tuna spread (or salmon). Just writing about it makes me want to have one.

Bagel Battle

Did you read about the Bagel Battle between Montreal and Toronto in The Gazette earlier this month ... naturally, Montreal won.

Here are the articles:

1st: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...9-a6244899a163

2nd: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...9-4f32bc1e1749

Fairmount bagels are definitely the best..and what a variety of choices you'll get there!
    Located on Fairmount St. (between St Laurent & St Urbain)
    DENISE MILANI REDEFINES HOTNESS! !!

H&H still has their location by the Pier in the 40's

Their Amsterdam Avenue was the location that closed down

So, there is hope...

Best Regards

Smuler
    Savoir Faire Is Everywhere !!!

Trying one day to be " In the Know "

Quote Originally Posted by montreal_monk01 View Post
    Fairmount bagels are definitely the best..and what a variety of choices you'll get there!
    Located on Fairmount St. (between St Laurent & St Urbain)
    I'll throw my vote at Fairmount as well.

Maybe the place is called DAD's Bagel, as Google Map shows--on Sherbrooke O (past Decarie, headed west) by Wilson Ave--but anyways they have the Montreal-style bagels, but they are cooking them practically all the time in front of your eyes so you can get them hot, freshly-cooked, which is in my view the only palatable way to eat Montreal style bagels, which are just very plain and characterless soon after they cool, and can't compare to less sweet, more doughy bagels, whose origins I can't speak on. Haven't been there for a while but they always carried freshly-made tandori chicken to go... Very good!

St-Viateur bagel is the best no questions about it
    Stay thirsty my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller05 View Post
    Thanks, I must have driven right by St. Viateur and missed it.

Next time, after Jessica and Alexia.
    I have not been there in years, itis easy to miss the place. It is a hole in the wall, not very modern.

The Fairmount and St Viateur's are definately good but are a bit out of the way if you're downtown. A closer option is the bagel place downstairs in the Faubourg Ste Catherine (corner Guy / Ste Catherine). they do make a pretty good bagel as well

Fun n games til some1...
    Always loved Fairmount bagels... could never get into St-V.

I've always tasted that subtle honey sweetness in Fairmount bagels that seems to be missing in other popular shops' bagels. Grabbin' a fresh n warm dozen is a MTL tradition... especially late evening on a clear summer night.