Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France winner doped up!

proud infidel

Smile Winner Clean

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    "Winner Clean" would have been a bigger headline.

Nothing's been proven yet. The guy did get a cortisone injection for his arthritic hip (which he's going to have replaced this fall), which I believe can boost testosterone levels. I heard he also drank some beer the night before stage 17, which I hear also affects testosterone levels.

Anyway, I'm no physiologist so don't take my word as gospel, but Landis is still innocent until proven guilty. He's been training extremely hard, riding 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, for the last 10 or so years, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise!

2-2 in bans... loser...
    Let us know when you get a mind... loser..
    In the great American tradition they will just sue the bejesus out of the tour doping officials and anyone else that is involved in this set-up...

Any professional athlete should know EXACTLY what they are putting into their bodies and make sure that in the midst of competition they are especially clean.

Cortisone and beer... shitty excuse if that is what he uses....

Tough call

Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid and it does boost levels of testosterone. But for it to make an impact on performance it must be used regularly for weeks. Wasn't Landis tested earlier in the Tour? If he was intent on cheating, I would have thought he would be caught earlier during the Tour not after the Tour.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by eastender
    "Winner Clean" would have been a bigger headline.
    If those high testosterone levels have nothing to do with him, the good news is that he hasn't cheated. However, the bad news is that he probably has a tumour somewhere in his body...

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by hornyanglo66
    Cortisone and beer... shitty excuse if that is what he uses....
    Impossible. Cortisone is not the drug of choice to improve one's performance. If anything, it should negatively impact it owing to all its side effects (weight gain, high blood pressure, cushing syndrome, cataracts, glaucoma, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    Impossible. Cortisone is not the drug of choice to improve one's performance. If anything, it should negatively impact it owing to all its side effects (weight gain, high blood pressure, cushing syndrome, cataracts, glaucoma, etc...)
    FML,

Cortisone is a steroid even though not exactly the type of anabolic steroid used to cheat like androstenedione for example. Those side effects you mentioned are correct. But it is also a fact that steroid use over time enhances performance. Ever heard of McGwire, Bonds? As I mentioned in my post, what puzzles me is the timing of Landis' use. For the cortisone to help him, he would have had to take it for weeks and it is my understanding that riders get tested regularly during the Tour. So if he was on it to get an edge in performance, he would have been caught then, as opposed to now.
    Last edited by picasso; 07-27-2006 at 08:42 PM.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

2-2 in bans... loser...
    Let us know when you get a mind... loser..
    I meant it as '...if that is what he is using as his excuse'.

Bottom line is that they all know the rules. If it is general knowledge for clods like us that cortisone boosts the level of testosterone in the system then all the pros know it too. Stupidity is not an excuse so you exceed the limits you get busted and you LOSE. That is the way it should be.

Lover of Life
    That's a shame if it's true-- though I think we should suspend judgement until more is known.

Veteran of Misadventures
    None of this should be guesswork. If Landis is getting cortisone injections it should have been disclosed to Tour officials and the potential impact should be known. As far as drinking beer, I am not sure why he would be consuming any alcoholic beverages during a major sporting competition where fitness and sobriety are at a premium. If the beer jacked up the testosterone level, that's on Landis.

If it is a tumor, it would be very sad.

I tend to think Landis was not cheating, voluntarily, just because of all the doping scandals that already resulted in suspensions of top drivers. Innocent until proven otherwise.

Professional cyclists have lost the benefit of the doubt ages ago.

The pain in Landis's arthritic hip is so bad that he can't walk up a flight of stairs or even walk across a parking lot. It even keeps him awake at nights sometimes. The fact that he even raced the Tour at all, the most grueling endurance sport in the world, has astounded doctors. Check out this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13803108/

Hence, the cortisone.

Some more info here

Landis denied cheating and said he has no idea what may have caused his positive test for high testosterone following the Tour's 17th stage, where he made his comeback charge last week. But he aims to find out.

"All I'm asking for," he said Thursday via teleconference, "is that I be given a chance to prove I'm innocent. Cycling has a traditional way of trying people in the court of public opinion before they get a chance to do anything else."

[...]

"My immediate reaction was to look for the alcohol bottle," joked Landis, who's known to enjoy a beer on the Tour and said he drank whiskey with teammates to bury their sorrows after Landis nearly fell out of contention the day before his stage 17 charge.

[...]

Landis had an exemption from the Tour to take cortisone shots for pain in his hip, which will require surgery for a degenerative condition, and was taking an oral medication for hyperthyroidism. He and his doctor were consulting with experts to see if those drugs might have thrown off his testosterone levels.

[...]

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    FML,

Cortisone is a steroid even though not exactly the type of anabolic steroid used to cheat like androstenedione for example. Those side effects you mentioned are correct. But it is also a fact that steroid use over time enhances performance. Ever heard of McGwire, Bonds? As I mentioned in my post, what puzzles me is the timing of Landis' use. For the cortisone to help him, he would have had to take it for weeks and it is my understanding that riders get tested regularly during the Tour. So if he was on it to get an edge in performance, he would have been caught then, as opposed to now.
    Dear picasso,

comparing cortisone to an anabolic steroid is like comparing a banana to an apple. Yes, it is true that, in both examples, each element belongs to the same group, as bananas and apples are both fruits, and prednisone and testosterone both belong to the steroid family, but that doesn't mean that they're one and the same. An anti-inflammatory steroid, like cortisone or prednisone, is totally different from an anabolic steroid, like testosterone, in terms of its action and effects on the body. I'm telling you: This story has all the markings of a scandal , UNLESS the lab result was an error .

fml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast