Thread: Miami Vice, the movie

proud infidel

Thumbs up Miami Vice, the movie

I went out to catch the movie yesterday and came back somewhat disappointed. Do not expect any big surprises in the plot, as cops going undercover to try to catch some criminals is hardly anything novel. Also, the acting could be considered very ordinary, as both Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx appear hardly convincing in their roles as cops. Mind you, I still could have ''accepted'' the idea of cops driving around in their ferraris or piloting private jets, although I must admit that it did look rather odd at times , only the acting job of Foxx and Farrell in their roles as cops did not grab me. Plus, you don't feel like there's much chemistry between the two on the set. As well, there's hardly any great looking females, even though it seems the ideal movie to be capable of offering audiences the full lineup of scantily clad hotties the likes of Jessica Alba . The best acting actually came from 2 of the criminals, one guy named ''Jesus'', who wore funky glasses (an unknown Latino actor), and the guy playing the # 1 drug lord. My rating: 7/10. My advice: wait until it comes out on video.

fml
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 07-30-2006 at 10:55 AM.

the guy w/soft hands..
    Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    I went out to catch the movie yesterday and came back somewhat disappointed. Do not expect any big surprises in the plot, as cops going undercover to try to catch some criminals is hardly anything novel. Also, the acting could be considered very ordinary, as both Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx appear hardly convincing in their roles as cops. Mind you, I still could have ''accepted'' the idea of cops driving around in their ferraris or piloting private jets, although I must admit that it did look rather odd at times , only the acting job of Foxx and Farrell in their roles as cops did not grab me. Plus, you don't feel like there's much chemistry between the two on the set. As well, there's hardly any great looking females, even though it seems the ideal movie to be capable of offering audiences the full lineup of scantily clad hotties with bodies covered with sweat the likes of Jessica Alba . The best acting actually came from 2 of the criminals, one guy named ''Jesus'', who wore funky glasses (an unknown Latino actor), and the guy playing the # 1 drug lord. My rating: 7/10. My advice: wait until it comes out on video.

fml
    Have to agree with ya! Went to see the afternoon showing of this and was expecting action-packed gun-toting shoot-outs... During the movie I kept on thinking... what... the whole movie is just watching Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx doing drug runs... wtf!!!

There are some nice scenes of scantily clad ladies, specially the shower scene at the start but other than that a let down... wait for it on video or till it hits that Dollar Cinema at Decarie Square.

The only highlight for me was getting treated to some wet-t's after the movie, that when it started raining cats and dogs...

If you're a Miami Vice fan, save your money and put it towards the purchase of the tv series box sets. I have the first two seasons and I'm waiting for the third season to be released. Definitely worth the money for a fan and the cost of a season is less than movie tickets and popcorn/drinks for 2

I'm a big fan of the original TV series and also a big fan of the director Michael Mann.

Mann doesn't produce movies very often, his last one being Collateral, which I didn't like.

So I will definitely see it in the theaters.

After reading all the bad reviews on this board and Rotten Tomatoes, I was expecting this movie to be really bad. Yeah, the story's nothing special, and if the Miami-Dade PD can afford Ferraris for their undercover cops, then I'm ditching my job and signing up for police academy right now. The saving graces, of course, were the cinematography, the set designs, the set-piece gun fights, and the music. The movie is basically Heat on simmer.

In defence of Miami Vice, both the series and movie, when it comes to the Ferraris and clothes, they are justified by being confiscated from drug dealers. They are not purchased by the police dept. They are confiscated items that are used to create the necessary cover. You couldn't exactly build a decent cover story for an undercover cop if he was driving a Toyota or a Saturn.

I saw it and I liked it.

Not as good as Heat, but better than Collateral, IMHO.

proud infidel
    Hi guys,

for those who, like me, didn't get a chance to see it, you can catch the movie ''flight 93'' tonight at 8 pm on A&E, which recounts the flight's final moments before crashing in a field in Pensylvania. Apparently, it has received good reviews.

http:www.aetv.com/

proud infidel

Forest Whitaker

Hey Serpico, thanks for reviving the thread. Well, my top acting performance by a male actor this year was Forest Whitaker hands down in The Last King of Scotland. I'm still speechless...
    fml