Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highway Overpass Near Montreal Collapses, Two Cars Crushed

Veteran of Misadventures

Highway Overpass Near Montreal Collapses, Two Cars Crushed

Veteran of Misadventures

Why?

What is going on with the civil engineers over there? Roads and bridges are supposed to be checked periodically.

It appears as though there were fatalities in two of the vehicles. These cars were in the wrong place at the wrong time, just terrible luck. You don't expect the road to collapse underneath you.

Unhappy US Interstates

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    What is going on with the civil engineers over there? Roads and bridges are supposed to be checked periodically.

It appears as though there were fatalities in two of the vehicles. These cars were in the wrong place at the wrong time, just terrible luck. You don't expect the road to collapse underneath you.
    Same structural engineers as in the USA - within the last 10 years there have been collapses on the I20, I40, I95 - in Connecticut I believe.

Just another example of our tax dollars not at work. What a wonderful place we live in.

History Channel has some good documentaries on engineering failures.

IMHO, extremely interesting stuff.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/engin/guid...l#engDisasters

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by eastender
    Same structural engineers as in the USA - within the last 10 years there have been collapses on the I20, I40, I95 - in Connecticut I believe.
    Eastender,

The Mianus River Bridge collapse on I-95 occurred in 1983. I don't believe we have had any bridges collapse in Connecticut since then. A number of people were killed in that Mianus River Bridge collapse, at least some unnecessarily when they ignored a pedestrian trying to wave them to a stop after the bridge had already collapsed.

There was recently a terrible tunnel collapse in Boston, which killed a woman.

These collapses should not be happening.

LOL !

You guys from the states are bad mouthing canadian civil engineers???

I have two words for you: ( Big Dig ) .

Nough said!.

ps: sorry about the rant, but i am a mcgill engineer graduate.

Also, did you know that the passing rate of the professional engineering exam test in the US by canadian engineers is 100% ? Compare that to 50% by US engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by centaurus
    ps: sorry about the rant, but i am a mcgill engineer graduate.
    My condolences!
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

This is the second time a bridge has collapsed in Laval - last time it happened was in 2001 (July) I believe. No criminal charges pressed - lack of support columns on the bridge to stop it moving (gee does that make sense? ) Can't remember, but I believe one person died.

You've got to wonder about this, something's not being done right.

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by pussinboots
    This is the second time a bridge has collapsed in Laval - last time it happened was in 2001 (July) I believe.
    I believe it happened on the day of the Canadian GP, as some of the victims involved were reportedly on their way to circuit Gilles-Villeneuve

Veteran of Misadventures
    Roland,

That's why someone is supposed to be doing periodic inspections, so these problems are identified and corrected before a catastophe occurs.

Was someone supposed to do periodic inspections on this Bridge?

Veteran of Misadventures

5 Deaths from Tragedy

The Gazette article reports that five people in two different vehicles travelling side by side towards Montreal were crushed to death underneath the rubble. The wreckage of these cars was crushed down to below knee level after the overpass collapsed on them.

Hi,

Anyone ever travel through Turcot interchange?
    Ever notice the state in wich the pavement is on some spot?
    Truly scary!
    Cocrete is beign eroded and pices are falling off.
    I don't want to sound alarmist here,but imagine it collapse.
    These roads are old and worn down,instead of building new ones I think we should fix the old ones first.

Obviously the inspection method is flawed.

As a resident of Boston and an engineer myself, I am all to familiar with news items about shoddy construction and fatalities involving the big dig. The whole construction industry and enforcement of construction laws seems to be far too laid back, whether in the US or Canada. While I am sure we will see some million dollar lawsuits, these accidents should have never had happened in the first place. What ever happened to designing a structure to withstand well over its intended load? In addition, it seems like the bridge collapse didn't happen suddenly, but drivers had reported debris dropping as it began crumbling. Why didn't the police react to these reports immediatly and shut down that section of the highway?

I'm sure we will see this play out in the political sphere and millions of dollars will be allocated to inspection and maintainance, but a few years from now everyone will become complacent again. I think the iron rings need to be replaced with concrete ones, that way it will always weigh down on the engineer in charge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast