Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: Smoking ban costing millions

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    241

    Smoking ban costing millions

    Interesting little article in today's Gazette about the cost of the smoking ban in Qc. It states that Lotto Quebec stands to lose $150 million from lost VLT revenues alone. That does not include an additional $50 million loss from the removal of 500 machines. Expectedly, they also stand to lose $75 million from lost tobacco revenues. Bar owners, who say that their revenues are down 25-30% because of the ban, are going to court to fight against the new law. The article goes on to say that studies in Ontario and the US show that the numbers have rebounded after a year or so. Not so in Newfoundland however.
    Smokers represent 85% of bar patrons in Quebec so I personally don't share their optimism for a "quick" recovery.

    So, forgetting the $50m hit from the removal of VLTs, the government stands to lose an already calculated $225 million. Now factor in the lost tax revenue from slower sales at bars and restaurants, the income tax from laid off employees of those establishments, and the revenue lost to online gambling and the total loss will, I'm sure, be staggering.

    Smokers and non smokers alike stand to feel the effects of this ban. There is no way that the province will take the hit alone. I wouldn't be surprised to see another tax grab come about in the new year.
    Shorter of breath...One day closer to death. Pink Floyd

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    839
    Yeah but if someone today would 'invent' the cigarette the product would be probably declared illegal... What this doesnt say is that people spend their money elsewhere or on differents things...

    Go into bar on crescent street, still full pack... Loto Quebec loosing millions? Poor them... maybe less people gonna suicide for gambling issue if less people goes to casinos...

    About a new tax I would bet on it but..... eh is it what appening with hydro-quebec raise?

    The non-smoker law is not about money... and if it's take 2-3-4 year to recover from it too bad for people who cant handle it... but I'm sure on a long term basis it's gonna be a good idea.

    Wilko

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    446
    I seriously question these numbers, sounds like tobacco industry propaganda.
    What they fear most is eventually cigs becoming illegal.

  4. #4
    No way cigarettes will become illegal... that would make no sense for the government and for the population. Even if smoking is illegal in public places, the government makes so much money with taxes and also the fines for smoking in bars/clubs. And do you really think that if cigarettes become illegal everyone will stop smoking? Highly doubtful! Which means the only way of getting cigarettes will be from the black market! And that means 0$ for the government!!!
    On the subject of the smoking ban, I fully support it, as long as they don't push it. If one day, god forbid, they make it illegal to smoke on the street, in your car... that would be retarded... But just the fact of not letting people smoke in bar and clubs make the air, and the place in general so much cleaner, more enjoyable, more fun! And if you can't control yourself, and REALLY need a cigarette, go outside and come back in after.
    What they are doing if trying to make them stop without actually telling them to stop! Wait till this winter, it will be the first winter with the ban, and u can be sure that a lot of people will, at least, consider stopping smoking because they don't want to have to go get their coats, go outside where i'ts cold and snowy...

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by mtlman2005
    the government makes so much money with taxes
    But those "profits" are offset by smoking related health care costs.

  6. #6

    wait until winter

    you'll see the real effects when it's -20 outside... And yes, it's just a question of "re-allocation"... Less money spent in bars = more money spent at the SAQ. People who smoke are not going to stop drinking, but they will spend more time at home, at parties etc... But if you think the economy will benefit overall -- you're wrong. Most people will save a little, pay off some debt.. fill their cars will expensive gas (same gas that cost half as much the year before)...I would not open a bar in Montreal unless it had a big terasse.... And boo-hoo for lotto quebec. I'm really crying for them. That's one overblown bureaucracy whose actions defy all logic. I would not set foot ever again in their depressing joke of a casino. What idiots!! It's only a matter of time before the next tax grab. There is a new one every year, no matter what, in this province. Luckily we are all swimming in money thanks to the .5% reduction in GST!! Where should I spend it all!!!

    BD
    Last edited by Ben Dover; 11-03-2006 at 12:16 PM.

  7. #7
    Revenue down 25-30% sounds a bit high. Worldwide, where smoking bans are in effect, the figure hovers around 15% which is still not a negligible figure. That said, I'm absolutely opposed to smoking ban laws. Bars and restaurants are private property. Owners should be deciding whether they allow smoking in their establishment or not, not the government.

  8. #8

    amazing...

    Quote Originally Posted by JustBob
    Bars and restaurants are private property. Owners should be deciding whether they allow smoking in their establishment or not, not the government.
    ... we agree on something

    If owners decided their own smoking policy then employees could decide where to work and customers could decide where to do business. It would be like one of those "democracy" type things...

    You have to remember this is the same Quebec government that doesn't even trust its citizens to look and decide if it's clear before turning right at a red light. Thank god we have such a wise and all-knowing government to decide everything for us!

    BD

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    839
    guys common.... if they let bar owner choose if they are smoking or not they all gonna choose to be smoker bar.... why they gonna private themself of some clients when the bar at 1 street corner gonna take them?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Dover
    ......this is the same Quebec government that doesn't even trust its citizens to look and decide if it's clear before turning right at a red light.
    OOOpppssss..................I didnt know that!!!
    I made many a right turn on reds when I was in Montreal last month

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko26
    guys common.... if they let bar owner choose if they are smoking or not they all gonna choose to be smoker bar.... why they gonna private themself of some clients when the bar at 1 street corner gonna take them?
    I thought that all the people that supported the ban were saying that there were more non-smoking clients than smokers? In that case a non-smoking bar should do better business, no? No one has ever been forced to work in a bar that allows smoking, or to go to that bar as a client. Now because of the law, some people will have to close their businesses because the non-smokers can't make up for the losses they are suffering.

    But what do you expect here in Quebec...grocery stores can't have more than 4 employees working after 5 o'clock to allow depaneur's to survive which they think buys immigrant votes, we have gov't mandated minimum prices for gasoline and milk, and we can't even buy yellow margarine because the gov't thinks we may be fooled into believing it's butter! Yup, we certainly are a distinct society!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    wishing I was in Montreal
    Posts
    907

    Exclamation Outdoor smoking ban!

    Quote Originally Posted by mtlman2005
    If one day, god forbid, they make it illegal to smoke on the street, in your car... that would be retarded...
    Be careful if you travel to San Francisco or Calabasas, California!!!

    I have never been a cigarette smoker, but I realize the problem of allowing the government to ban a legal product in a private place, regardless of the reason. Once it is banned somewhere, it could be banned anywhere.

    That being said, it was great to return to my hotel after a night on the town in Montreal and realize that my clothes did not reek of cigarette smoke.

    Regards,

    a smoke free Voyager
    "No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied—it speaks in silence to the very core of your being."
    -Ansel Adams

  13. #13
    Suggestion: have the provincial government and the municipal government get together on this one: make smoking legal only on "Robert Bourassa" Avenue!

    More serious suggestion: cut all governments in half, cut their salaries in half, cut their power in half and eliminate their pensions and expense accounts. Then we'd all be rich from the savings on tax money that currently goes to support these bloated, unprincipled bastards..

  14. #14
    Suggestion: have the provincial government and the municipal government get together on this one: make smoking legal only on "Robert Bourassa" Avenue!
    Perhaps Rene Levesque Blvd (aka Tobacco Road) would be more appropriate. Its nickname derives from the chain smoking of the person after which it was named.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by martinl68
    Costing millions to who? Tobacco companies? Fuck them.

    Je n’ai jamais fumé et encore aujourd’hui avec le « smoking ban » je dois encore subir les fumeurs dans toutes sortes de situations comme par exemple la file d’attente d’un bus. Si les fumeurs veulent se détruire la santé, c’est leur affaire, mais pourquoi devrait-on subir les conséquences de leur irresponsabilité ?
    Ok si tu lis plus haut, tu verras qu'on ne parle pas des compagnies de tabacs... Ca coute de l'argent aussi aux restaurents, aux bars ... puisqu'on ne peut plus fumer dans leurs etablissements, alors on ne boit plus autant dans leurs etablissements...

    Et n'exagere pas quand meme... "je dois encore subir les fumeurs dans [...] la file d’attente d’un bus" si t'es pas content, attend pour le bus plus loin! Mais dehors quand meme tu peux pas les interdire de fumer

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •